This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tractor stopped charging

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 48162
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

Tractor stopped charging

Postby cdahl383 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:22 pm

Brought my Cub to the Cubfest last weekend and got the brakes fixed with the help of several folks there. Got home and unloaded the tractor and put it back in the garage Sunday night. I flipped the switch from Low to High charge and the needle on the amp meter went kind of haywire and then it just dropped to 0. I turned the lights on and they all came on and it read a discharge on the meter, so I know the meter is still working.

Where would I start to diagnose the issue? Check grounds? Check switch itself? Do I have to repolarize the generator as I've read in a few other threads? I'm not too good with electrical stuff, but it doesn't seem like a very complicated setup on the Cub, so I'm hoping I can figure it out with a little help.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Re: Tractor stopped charging

Postby SamsFarm » Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:31 pm

There is a charging system trouble shooting guide here somewhere.

Might snoop around the site and find it, or someone will direct you to it shortly.

I recomend printing it out and keeping it in your Cub owners manual!
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:05 pm

cdahl383 wrote:Brought my Cub to the Cubfest last weekend and got the brakes fixed with the help of several folks there. Got home and unloaded the tractor and put it back in the garage Sunday night. I flipped the switch from Low to High charge and the needle on the amp meter went kind of haywire and then it just dropped to 0. I turned the lights on and they all came on and it read a discharge on the meter, so I know the meter is still working.

Where would I start to diagnose the issue? Check grounds? Check switch itself? Do I have to repolarize the generator as I've read in a few other threads? I'm not too good with electrical stuff, but it doesn't seem like a very complicated setup on the Cub, so I'm hoping I can figure it out with a little help.

Did you have the battery disconnected while at Barnyard’s? Try repolarizing.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:15 pm

Hi,
Good that you and the others fixed the brake.
Below is a page from the 1955 Cub operator's manual telling how to polarize the charging system.
I think they didn't have this info in the first few years of owner's manuals.
IH was using the voltage regulator in 1955. Jim B. has said it is the same method to polarize the cutout, or Relay system.
You will have to identify the wire connections. The Relay is originally on top of the generator.
Use a light and a small mirror up under the hood from the left side to find the posts.
The posts should be marked.

https://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cle ... age-35.jpg

Below is the trouble shooting chart that has been on here for the cutout, or Relay IH called it, system.
Use only the upper chart, 7, for the Relay system.
Attachments
Cub flow chart 2.gif

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby cdahl383 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:43 am

I did remove the battery when we drove there and then re-installed once we arrived. I never really checked the charging system after that as I was just moving the tractor in and out of the barn.

I'll read the trouble shooting guide, but why do you have to repolarize the generator? Is that something that must be done every time you unhook the battery or no? I've had the battery unhooked several times before since buying the tractor and haven't run into any issues. Is it sort of an intermittent issue when unhooking the battery?

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:17 am

Having the battery disconnected for the time period described, would not normally require repolarization. BUT, electricity is magic and therefore unpredictable.:D Try repolarizing. If it doesn’t work, go to the troubleshooting charts.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby cdahl383 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:04 am

Don McCombs wrote:Having the battery disconnected for the time period described, would not normally require repolarization. BUT, electricity is magic and therefore unpredictable.:D Try repolarizing. If it doesn’t work, go to the troubleshooting charts.

Ok thanks! I'll give that a try one day soon and see if that helps.

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby cdahl383 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:41 pm

Had the tractor out for a little bit today on my lunch break. Fixed a couple minor things and wanted to take it out in the yard. It wasn't charging when I took it out of the garage. As I was driving it around in the yard, I noticed the amp meter showing 2amps. I switched it to High and it went up to 10amps! Apparently it fixed itself somehow.

I was thinking about it more and the only thing I can think of is when I oiled the fan hub at the Cub Fest, I probably got some oil on the belt, and maybe that caused it to slip? Maybe it wasn't turning the pulley on the generator enough to register a charge?

It seemed like when I ran it at higher RPM it was charging fine. When I set the idle down really low to get off the tractor for a bit, it stopped charging completely again. I got on it and got moving and got the RPM's up higher again and it started charging again just fine. Maybe there's a little residual oil still on the belt that's causing it to slip a little? That should burn off after some more use.

It's either that or a loose wire that's got a bad connection. But it seems to be attributable to the engine RPM. There's lots of oil in that area from the mess oiling the fan hub made. Maybe I lucked out and that's all it is. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few times I take it out.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:38 pm

If you decide to adjust the belt tension between the CS pulley and the pulley on the fan shaft, DON'T TURN THE NUT ON THE FAN SHAFT TO LOOSEN IT!! It's designed to be loosened by turning the fan shaft rather than the nut on the shaft (the shaft is made for an open end wrench). You run the risk of breaking the forks that hold the assembly to the front engine cover because the nut fits in a slot in the forks which is made of cast material. JMHO Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby cdahl383 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:48 pm

staninlowerAL wrote:If you decide to adjust the belt tension between the CS pulley and the pulley on the fan shaft, DON'T TURN THE NUT ON THE FAN SHAFT TO LOOSEN IT!! It's designed to be loosened by turning the fan shaft rather than the nut on the shaft (the shaft is made for an open end wrench). You run the risk of breaking the forks that hold the assembly to the front engine cover because the nut fits in a slot in the forks which is made of cast material. JMHO Stan

I had a couple people tell me that at the Cub Fest. That seems like a very easy mistake to make as you would assume to adjust the nut. I think for now it's okay. I'm just glad it's working properly.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:10 pm

A charging problem that comes and goes is often caused by a dirty or loose connection. If the problem comes up again, that is where to look. However, if your problem is only lack of charge at low idle, you don't have a problem. It is completely normal for the charge rate to drop to or near to zero at idle.

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby cdahl383 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:53 pm

Jim Becker wrote:A charging problem that comes and goes is often caused by a dirty or loose connection. If the problem comes up again, that is where to look. However, if your problem is only lack of charge at low idle, you don't have a problem. It is completely normal for the charge rate to drop to or near to zero at idle.

I'll keep an eye on it. If it seems sporadic I'll check the connections. It seems to just stop charging at lower RPM's. Maybe it was always like that and I never noticed.