This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Oil filter lid and gasket

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Thackery
10+ Years
10+ Years

Oil filter lid and gasket

Postby Thackery » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:15 am

After getting my cub running for the first time, now I'm checking for leaks.
I have oil leaking around the top of the oil filter housing where the cap goes on. Not sure if it is the seal for the cap or the seal for the bolt. I looked through what is left of my cub gasket kit but don't see those in there. Also the back side of the cap has some cracks in it as if someone cranked the bolt down so much that the aluminum casting started to give.

Anyone know the part numbers for the gaskets?

I'm going to see if my local tractor yard has the lid.

I also would like to replace the retaining nut on the fan pulley assembly, it holds the axel to the fork on the timing cover. It is not a standard thread.

Doug in Thackery

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Leak

Postby allenlook » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:12 am

If the oil is pooling along the rim of the lid, it is most likely your bolt seal. I would replace it and use JB Weld on the inside of the lid for now. If it is only running down the sides, it is the lid gasket, and the part number for that (and all) gaskets is on this page http://www.allenlook.com/cub/tc37f_db/t ... ter=GASKET

I think you are asking for...251 407 R1
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:26 am

Thackery,

Since you mention aluminum for the cap you have an early one. They've been a frequent problem. They leak, the bolt gets tightened more, they leak more, the bolt gets tightened more, they leak more.................

Do yourself a favor and find a pressed steel one if you can. The parts manual isn't helpful, but PN 251 406 R2 is very likely the steel replacement... that's probably what the "R2" means.

Good on you for gettin' 'er goin'. :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Bamacub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bamacub » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:14 pm

If you are unable to find a good use cover, TM tractor has a new one listed on thier site. Tom is a good guy to deal with.

rick 48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rick 48 cub » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:48 pm

Hi Doug,

Lightening does strike twice in the same spot! This is the second time in as many weeks that another forum person had the issue as my own.

Yesterday afternoon I fired up my cub engine for the first time since a complete engine rebuild. I too had oil coming out around the top of the oil filter cap - from both the bolt and the rim. I removed the gaskets, gave them a good coating of oil, and cranked the cap on TIGHT. That did the trick for me.

Here is my theory: A brand new tight engine has a lot more oil pressure.

Good luck, Rick
Rick 1948 cub

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:26 pm

The bolt originally had a copper washer that was supposed to be the seal. Mine alos have a piece of gasket material cut to go on the top and bottom of the copper washer.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

JimCT
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JimCT » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:13 pm

Years ago IH used to supply the lid gasket & sealing washer in the box with the filter. Those days are sure long gone.
'49 Cub, Ford 621, Ford 2000 diesel, CJ5 diesel

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:01 am

The NAPA filters do come with a gasket.

I happened to notice that the copper washer was missing on mine, the local Cadet dealer had one in stock. Cost about a buck if I recall.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Washer

Postby allenlook » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:34 am

Is it copper for some reason? Soft enough to form a seal without having to overtighten it?
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Lance Leitzel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45011
Tractors Owned: 1960 Loboy
1974 154 Loboy
1968 72 Cub Cadet

Postby Lance Leitzel » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:49 am

May I be so bold as to recommend a different solution to the oil filter bolt leaking. I've finally settled on using a Nylon washer instead. I got mine at NAPA after having done much battle with copper, o-rings, new bolts, etc. Works like a champ and no longer having to torque it down so hard. If I remember correctly it is a 1/2 I.D. washer.
Last edited by Lance Leitzel on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ego diligo meus tracti.
(I love my tractors)

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:05 am

The problem with the early die cast (aluminum) ones is that they distort badly from overtightening. As the center pulls down the gasket surface turns up, so that neither rim nor center can possibly seal. Just for grins, I straightened one once, and it worked, but it took an enormous push to do it. Replacing it with the pressed steel one, which is much better, is the way to go.

When I restored my first Cub, I didn't know there were better ones available so I made a steel one. The correct police never caught me. :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Thackery
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Thackery » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:23 pm

I picked up a new lid gasket and the bolt coper washer Monday. I was suprised to see the copper washer, and figured that it would not do much.
I may try the nylon washer. Next time I'm at the local tractor yard I'll see if they have a later steel lid. I can easily see that this lid has been pulled down at the center.

Doug

Thackery
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Thackery » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:40 am

I picked up a steel lid from the local tractor yard and that seemes to take care of the leak. I had tried to reshape the old aluminum lid and new gaskets, but when the oil pressure came up it poured out. I guess the old lid hits the scrap pile with the other replaced parts.

Thackery

Return to “Farmall Cub”