This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Help with timing and fuel

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:58 pm

Don't feel dumb :!: Many of us have been in your shoes.
Magnetos do not produce a hot spark at low speeds (<400 rpm).
The click you're supposed to hear is the impulse coupling of the magneto. The impulse is used to generate a faster rotation of the rotor assembly to produce a hotter spark at low rpm. The impulse is disengaged at rpm's >400.
If the governor is timed correctly there is no reason the the mag impulse shouldn't trip as explained in prior posts. Have you checked your governor position as in John's photo:?
8)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:59 pm

Nope! You've got the right "click". It's the impulse tripping, and will make a strong spark even when cranked very slowly. There is no other "click".
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

JLollis
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29645
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
Twitter ID: @JimLollis

Postby JLollis » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:09 pm

That's good. I was afraid I was missing something. I believe we have a good spark on each of the plugs. He's checked and rechecked the governor timing, and he believes it's correct. We're thinking now that a PO may have installed the idler gear (I think that's what it's called) a tooth off. He was going to test this theory today by purposely putting the governor gear off by a tooth. I hope that works. I sure would like to hear that old tractor run. In my view, a cub that I can use is more useful than a yard ornament. If you've seen the pictures I put on the photo server, you would probably agree that my cub does not make a very good yard ornament.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:45 pm

I agree with the new plan. BTDT. The previous owner of my Case SC had been plowing with it for years, but I didn't like the way it was timed because it lacked power. He swore he had never had the mag or governor off.

That model Case is one of the few tractors that drive the mag off the governor like the Cub does. I had to jump the governor gear TWO teeth to get it to fire correctly at TDC at cranking speed.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Yard Ornament

Postby allenlook » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:49 pm

Two schools of thought re: lawn ornaments.

One is the "Restoration University", or RU, and produces varying degrees of beautifully restored tractors from "it's-a-shame-to-get-it-dirty-but-it-sure-is-purty", to the "bona-fide trailer queens." Most of these would not be put on the lawn for fear of getting them rained on. I, as would most, would LOVE to have one, but I'd be guilt-ridden if I didn't mount the tractor with a purpose-bought pair of soft felt-soled slippers that never saw dirt.

The second school is "Refreshment College", or RC, where the tractors are refreshed and made both operational and as safe as is possible with these old chassis. They don't have the allure or the shine of the graduates from RU, but they put a smile on your face every time they open their pipes.

And every once in a while, when you're driving a back road you'll catch a glimpse, out behind a dilapidated barn, of a poor dropout from Rust High, or RH. These fellows sit flaccid-tiredly in the heightening weeds, reliving their glory days at the same time they are relieving themselves of their internal fluids. Never miss the opportunity to take one of these misled youth under your wing and help them "graduate!"
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

JLollis
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JLollis » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:32 pm

Well, the call came in shortly after lunch. After jumping over approximately 4 or 5 teeth, the Cub has started. He said he only ran it for a minute because he had not put coolant and water back in since he took the head off. He said that, after he ate, he was going back out to fill up the cooling system and run it some more. I'm dying to get out of here (my office). Unfortunately, it will be after 7 o'clock before I can go over and hear it run. Man, this is exciting!!

JLollis
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JLollis » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:33 pm

IT'S ALIVE!! IT'S ALIVE!!

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Wooohooo!

Postby allenlook » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:34 pm

Woooohooooo! :D

Congratulations!
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:50 pm

Image Congratulations :!: :!: :lol: , on her runnin again..Image

Great feelin ain't it :?: :?:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

JLollis
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JLollis » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:49 pm

I guess the next step will be to rebuild the carb. Then I need to pick up my belly mower and disk harrows that I bought with the tractor. The mower probably needs some refurbishing. Then, I suppose I need to have the "access panel" that was taken from the hood welded back into place (I have the original cutout). Then, maybe I could think about paint and decals. And I would like to put some lights on those posts that are on the side of the hood and under the seat. Of course, that's assuming that the clutch, brakes, pto, etc. are in good working order. Then again, that's asking a lot from a tractor that has sat for the better part of 15 years.

This is going to take a while, isn't it.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

4-5

Postby allenlook » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:03 pm

4 or 5 is a lot of teeth! I have relatives with less teeth than that!

Return to “Farmall Cub”