This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Brake band pin alignment with casting

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ozimmerman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Brake band pin alignment with casting

Postby ozimmerman » Sat May 13, 2023 10:58 am

So i am trying to get my final back on with new brake band and pin, new drum, etc. When i line up the male nubbin on the final to the casting, the brake band pin is off its hole by a few mm. It isn't easy to move the pin while to maneuver the final. I think the band is pulling the pin off of straight by a hair. Any tips?

It's a 49 so old style setup

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Brake band pin alignment with casting

Postby tst » Sat May 13, 2023 1:22 pm

hang the final loosely with a couple bolts then it leaves fingers free to get the pin started wiggling the final and pin

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat May 13, 2023 3:26 pm

Check that the pin is absolutely straight. A slightly bent pin will not cooperate.

ozimmerman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ozimmerman » Sat May 13, 2023 7:47 pm

So one thing I figured out is that the little nubbin on the top of the final can be taped out. Once it was out I was able, with some tapping and banging and some choice words, i got it. I had assistance from a come along and then a single bolt partially started helped. Thanks for advice.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat May 13, 2023 8:15 pm

Hi,
If you are talking about the dowel pins, there should be 1 at the top of the bolt circle that holds the final drive on, and 1 at the bottom.
They need to be there to keep the final drives in position.
They should be in the transmission housing on the left side, and the right side, and in the right side extension, where the final drive bolts onto the extension.
If any came out on the final drive, it should be removed and hammered in to the right place.
The pins should fit tight in the holes in the castings, but slide in and out of the final drives without being tight. They may need sanding, or oiling, so they go in the final drive without being overly tight.
Below is a listing at TM Tractor, you can look at the pic, the pins go in with the end with the bigger taper facing out from the trans.
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/tr/726fp.htm

ozimmerman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ozimmerman » Sun May 14, 2023 10:28 am

That is them. The one on the top was in the final, the one on the bottom was in the castings. I didn't know that it wasn't by design. The top one was rather snug but moved with some solid tapping Thanks for the info.