This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall Cub - Good First Tractor?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 48162
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

Re: Farmall Cub - Good First Tractor?

Postby cdahl383 » Wed May 03, 2023 7:25 am

staninlowerAL wrote:
cdahl383 wrote:..........What do you mean if you bring the parts? Do people bring their tractors there to work on them?
Take a look at this post. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=87593#p697595

Looks like a lot of fun! Wow so people actually help you fix stuff on your tractor? That’s pretty neat!

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby staninlowerAL » Wed May 03, 2023 7:40 am

Take a look at this year's LA Cubfest at Bogalusa LA: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=114783#p914662
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby cdahl383 » Wed May 03, 2023 7:54 am

Wow that's really cool! Some of those tractors were really torn down pretty far! I just thought it was more of a tractor show type deal. Looks like people bring their tractors and fix stuff while they're there too. That's pretty cool.

The closest one to me is in June near Cincinnati, OH. I could probably make it to that one as long as work isn't too busy around that time. I was going to try and fix my brakes this summer. It would be cool if I could bring the tractor down there and maybe get a little help. I'm completely new to the tractor scene. I've changed all the fluids and fixed a few minor things on the tractor so far, but nothing too major yet.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed May 03, 2023 8:13 am

We’ll plan on seeing you and your Cub in early June, then. BTW, families are welcome, too.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed May 03, 2023 8:16 am

cdahl383 wrote:The closest one to me is in June near Cincinnati, OH. I could probably make it to that one as long as work isn't too busy around that time. I was going to try and fix my brakes this summer. It would be cool if I could bring the tractor down there and maybe get a little help. I'm completely new to the tractor scene. I've changed all the fluids and fixed a few minor things on the tractor so far, but nothing too major yet.

Brakes would be a pretty easy fix at a CubFest. The main thing is to bring all the needed parts, so you don't go home without it being fixed. The owner is expected to do the work under the guidance of others. Of course, others will gladly help in a situation where two people may be needed. A lot of folks get motel rooms for a couple of nights and roll in thursday afternoon and stay till Saturday night. We always have a small campfire to sit around every evening to shoot the bull.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed May 03, 2023 8:22 am

And the food is excellent! :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed May 03, 2023 8:25 am

Small campfire, —- right! Unless Jo is there!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed May 03, 2023 8:27 am

More like small bonfire!
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

A. K. Trenfor

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby cdahl383 » Wed May 03, 2023 8:28 am

Barnyard wrote:
cdahl383 wrote:The closest one to me is in June near Cincinnati, OH. I could probably make it to that one as long as work isn't too busy around that time. I was going to try and fix my brakes this summer. It would be cool if I could bring the tractor down there and maybe get a little help. I'm completely new to the tractor scene. I've changed all the fluids and fixed a few minor things on the tractor so far, but nothing too major yet.

Brakes would be a pretty easy fix at a CubFest. The main thing is to bring all the needed parts, so you don't go home without it being fixed. The owner is expected to do the work under the guidance of others. Of course, others will gladly help in a situation where two people may be needed. A lot of folks get motel rooms for a couple of nights and roll in thursday afternoon and stay till Saturday night. We always have a small campfire to sit around every evening to shoot the bull.

Cool! I have a new brake band (well a nice used one anyway). What about tools and stuff? I could probably fit my tool box in the back of the truck bed.

I love working on stuff myself. I just never replaced brakes before on a tractor and it looks like you have to remove the final drives off the tractor to get to everything. Seems like you would need a lift or engine hoist or something like that to help get that off without it falling on your foot. I imagine those weigh quite a bit.

My wife and kids would probably enjoy it too. Could make it into a fun little road trip.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed May 03, 2023 8:46 am

Bring your own tools if it’s convenient. There will be tools available, as well as lifts and hoists.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

A. K. Trenfor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed May 03, 2023 8:52 am

Gary Dotson wrote:Small campfire, —- right! Unless Jo is there!

Must have been a typo.

jo.jpg
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby cdahl383 » Wed May 03, 2023 8:55 am

Don McCombs wrote:Bring your own tools if it’s convenient. There will be tools available, as well as lifts and hoists.

Cool. I could probably bring the top part of my tool chest which has all the sockets, wrenches, pliers, etc.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed May 03, 2023 8:55 am

Scrolling through your earlier posts, it looks like you are already familiar with the Cub sized U-Haul trailer.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

A. K. Trenfor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed May 03, 2023 9:13 am

cdahl383 wrote:Cool! I have a new brake band (well a nice used one anyway). What about tools and stuff? I could probably fit my tool box in the back of the truck bed.

No need to bring your tools. As Don said, I have tools available. I should have everything you need to do what you need done.

cdahl383 wrote:My wife and kids would probably enjoy it too. Could make it into a fun little road trip.

The wives either hang out in the shop or under the tree in the shade, or around the dining room kitchen. Some of them seek out the local yard sales. There is not much for the kids, but don't let that stop you from bringing them along. We have several dogs, but they never bother anyone.

Circle of Safety

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby cdahl383 » Wed May 03, 2023 10:49 am

Barnyard wrote:
cdahl383 wrote:Cool! I have a new brake band (well a nice used one anyway). What about tools and stuff? I could probably fit my tool box in the back of the truck bed.

No need to bring your tools. As Don said, I have tools available. I should have everything you need to do what you need done.

cdahl383 wrote:My wife and kids would probably enjoy it too. Could make it into a fun little road trip.

The wives either hang out in the shop or under the tree in the shade, or around the dining room kitchen. Some of them seek out the local yard sales. There is not much for the kids, but don't let that stop you from bringing them along. We have several dogs, but they never bother anyone.

Oh ok cool. Wow sounds like a cool deal!

Our kids love animals. We have a dog, 5 cats, 2 rabbits, and 13 chickens. If you have any cats wandering around the property my youngest daughter will find them and play with them haha!

Sounds like it would be a fun trip! Friday and Saturday are the main days right?