This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall Cub - Good First Tractor?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall Cub - Good First Tractor?

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:49 am

If your oil filter cover still won’t seal, it’s probably the original pot metal cover. They warp over time and cause problems. It should be replaced with the later steel cover.

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 48162
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

Postby cdahl383 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:10 pm

The cover I have seems pretty sturdy. It isn't flat. Maybe someone put a later model cover on mine? I'm hoping it seals up with the new copper washer on there now.

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:13 pm

It's also easy to have the rubber/cork gasket move around while tightening and not seal correctly.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:55 pm

Below is a page from the 1950 Cub owner's manual showing the 1st style of oil filter cover.
They were soft metal.
They have said on here that they bend down from tightening the bolt.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2014.jpg

IH changed to this style of cover after then, the page below is from the 1955 Cub operator's manual.
They are steel.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2022.jpg

TM Tractor sells new ones, it says they are Case IH parts. You can look at the pics there.
When I mention TM Tractor, it is often so you can see pics of the parts, I'm not trying to sell their parts, their website has lots of info. :)

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby cdahl383 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:38 am

Glen wrote:Below is a page from the 1950 Cub owner's manual showing the 1st style of oil filter cover.
They were soft metal.
They have said on here that they bend down from tightening the bolt.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2014.jpg

IH changed to this style of cover after then, the page below is from the 1955 Cub operator's manual.
They are steel.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2022.jpg

TM Tractor sells new ones, it says they are Case IH parts. You can look at the pics there.
When I mention TM Tractor, it is often so you can see pics of the parts, I'm not trying to sell their parts, their website has lots of info. :)

It looks like I have a later style oil filter lid. It dips down and back up again, not flat like the earlier one. Maybe someone destroyed/bent the original and replaced it with the newer/better design?

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby cdahl383 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:42 am

I changed the steering gearbox oil last night after work. When I say "changed", I mean added. I took all the plugs out, had a pan ready to catch the old oil. Nothing came out! Haha! There was literally nothing in there!

I cleaned up the threads and the area and put the drain plug back in. I dumped some 80w90 gear oil in there until it started seeping out through the level plug. Then I put everything back together. I came back into the garage a few hours later and still no leaks. I'm not sure what happened to the old oil. It was really messy where the oil would have come out when drained though. I wonder if someone didn't have that drain plug tight and it just leaked out over time?

Based on what I can tell so far, it looks like this tractor was possibly restored at one time, but then it must have sat for a while, possibly outside for a bit. I cleaned it up a little more last night too.

I was going to change the coolant but the petcock on the bottom didn't want to flow anything. I unscrewed it and it just dripped a little. There must be a lot of sediment stuck around that area. I'll have to take the petcock out and poke around in there with a screwdriver or pick. I think originally they just had a plug. Someone must have added the petcock later on.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:00 am

May PO’s replaced the gear oil with grease. Not a good solution.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:12 am

cdahl383 wrote:I cleaned up the threads and the area and put the drain plug back in.

Make sure you clean out the orifice in the fill plug so it can breath. If it is plugged, the system can hold condensation inside. A stiff wire and brake cleaner will do the trick.Image
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:46 am

Barnyard wrote:If it is plugged, the system can hold condensation inside.

Worse yet, if it is plugged pressure will build as it heat cycles and oil will be pushed past the seals. That could be why it was empty.

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby cdahl383 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:42 am

Oh ok, didn't even see that. The plug had paint all over it. I'm not sure where the hole is on the outside of the plug. I'll have to scrape the paint off to find it. I'll take a look at that this weekend. Thanks for the heads up!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:24 pm

Start on the inside. You know where to look as it will be dead center. If there is no hole on the inside, there won't be one to find on the outside (wrong style plug in use!).

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:57 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Start on the inside. You know where to look as it will be dead center. If there is no hole on the inside, there won't be one to find on the outside (wrong style plug in use!).
Then make one yourself.
I have an excuse. CRS.

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby cdahl383 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:32 am

I took the fill plug back off of the steering gearbox this weekend and opened up the vent hole. I scraped all the paint off the sides of the plug and found the little hole. Poked a wire through it, sprayed some carb cleaner through it, now it's all set. Put it back in place. Should ventilate properly now. Thanks!

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:34 am

cdahl383 wrote:I took the fill plug back off of the steering gearbox this weekend and opened up the vent hole. I scraped all the paint off the sides of the plug and found the little hole. Poked a wire through it, sprayed some carb cleaner through it, now it's all set. Put it back in place. Should ventilate properly now. Thanks!

:thumbsup:
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby cdahl383 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:38 am

I changed the anti-freeze this weekend. Someone had added a petcock on the bottom, so I opened that up and nothing came out. I used a pick and broke up the crud in there and then everything flowed out good. Added 2 gallons of Prestone 50/50 green anti-freeze. I filled it up to where it was originally so it hopefully won't burp any out when it warms up good. The petcock sealed back up with no leaks, so I'm just going to leave that on there since it's working.

I've also been battling with the oil filter lid. No matter what I use as a gasket it, it just won't seal and continues to leak. I talked to a guy on the Farmall Cub FB group page and he said he used a drain plug gasket from a 1984 Chevy Camaro. Basically just a teflon washer. I went to the auto parts store and picked one up and sure enough it worked! No more leaking! The copper gaskets/washers just weren't working for whatever reason. I cleaned everything off really well too. Now I can start and move the tractor around without it leaking oil there anymore which is nice.

My next step is to change the final drive oil on both drives. I picked up a set of pan gaskets from the tractor place in town, so I'll work on that next.

They had a few Farmall Cub plows there too. The guy said he wanted $100 for each. Seems fair. I thought I might offer a little less and just see what he says. It's not like they're a hot item, looks like they've been sitting a long time. I have the depth control level, dog bone link, draw bar, and eyelet. I just need a pin to go through the arm in the back with a chain to raise/lower the plow with the hydraulic system now.