This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What to do with a Cub you just brought home

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
66cub
Zip Code: 76207

What to do with a Cub you just brought home

Postby 66cub » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:01 pm

I’m new to your website. Bought a 66 cub and I would like to talk to someone who has mowed/gardened with one because I have never operated one. With 9 hp I’m not expecting a lot but seems very sluggish when mowing. Also I am looking for garden attachments for it. James

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: What to do with a Cub you just brought home

Postby staninlowerAL » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:13 pm

Welcome to the forum James. One more post and you can access/download the manuals at the Quick links tab at the top left corner of this page. You will get more response to questions if you post the specific topic title instead of in this thread. Also there's lots of information about operating and maintaining your Cub listed on the "HOW TO" subforum. Maybe post a picture of your "new to you" cub. Maybe you can plan to attend a cubfest in the future, that's an excellent opportunity to learn a lot about all things cub related. Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:08 am

66cub wrote:Bought a 66 cub and I would like to talk to someone who has mowed/gardened with one because I have never operated one.

What is your idea of garden?

I was in your shoes once before, but quickly learned on my own I was NOT going to swap between mower tractor (belly) and other implements for plowing, disking, planting and cultivating.

The solution for me was to buy another Cub for mowing!
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:55 pm

More info would help. Is this your only tractor? When you say tractor is sluggish when mowing, what are you mowing? Lot of factors when mowing. Complete tuneup is a good starting point to include compression tests. Condition and setup of mower are important. Post a few pics of your mower setup
The cub is an excellent choice for gardens. I use a plow, disc harrow and cultivators for gardening. Spike tooth harrow comes in handy also. Turf is not your friend. I plow in the fall and plant a cover crop. That deters turf from forming in the spring until soil is ready for me to disc the cover crop under. Then I plant and put cultivators on. Stay ahead in your cultivating.
Thomas

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:16 pm

SamsFarm wrote:
66cub wrote:Bought a 66 cub and I would like to talk to someone who has mowed/gardened with one because I have never operated one.

What is your idea of garden?

I was in your shoes once before, but quickly learned on my own I was NOT going to swap between mower tractor (belly) and other implements for plowing, disking, planting and cultivating.

The solution for me was to buy another Cub for mowing!
I'm sort of with Sam. Swapping implements is something I can no longer do. The implements are to heavy for an old guy and they take time to swap.

I use my Cub mostly for mowing an acreage and trailer work.

Some implements can be very expensive.

tmays wrote:More info would help. Is this your only tractor?
Yup. Photos would help.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:45 pm

I actually think you will be pretty surprised at what "9 HP" can actually do! With a belly mower this thing will cut way taller grass way faster than a 15-18HP normal riding mower. It will pull half a dozen cultivators in heavy clay in a garden all the way down, again if you could fashion even one cultivator up to the same 18HP riding mower it would anchor it to the ground as soon as you lowered it into the ground.

Again some more complete description of what you want to do. Do you want to take it from just bare ground all the way through planting and cultivating? You will need several implements to do this, also if you want to plant and fertilize with it those parts are pretty pricey.

Mowing is pretty straight forward. With the proper setup and properly running tractor they are very capable. No there not going to compete with a 40HP tractor pulling a 7ft bush hog but if you match the task to the tractor they are very good at mowing.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:07 pm

"Gardening" can be anything from "lawn care" to "growing your own vegetables."

Since you mention mowing, I would lean toward "lawn care."

Even just focusing on lawn care there are many variables. 42" mower deck (single spindle) or 59" mower deck (three spindle). How tall and how thick is the grass.

Say what you want, the 59" deck is a load on the tractor, and it takes all the tractor has to run it in the best of conditions. They take a few seconds to get up to speed. If it does get up to speed, you've got nothing to worry about as far as the condition of the tractor. You will need to adjust your driving to account for the run-up and run-down of the mower deck. You may need to take partial cuts if the grass is very tall or thick.

TomStein
Zip Code: 19320

Postby TomStein » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:25 pm

So I might be in a similar boat. I’m new to old tractors and the group so please don’t take my post as gospel. I’m sure about my experience but nothing else!

I just got a 1963 lo-boy. It has a 54” belly mower. Although it wasn’t mowing season in PA when I got it, I did try to mow a little bit. The tractor got MUCH slower when I fired up the PTO and cut some semi-dead grass. But it also cut the grass very well. I even kind of bottomed out the deck going over a hill (I’ll learn…) and took some grass out completely, but the blades kept spinning just fine from what I could tell.
So when you say sluggish, do you simply mean the tractor slowed down? Cause if so, mine does too. But it seems like it’ll still mow just fine.
One more thing that may be unrelated or obvious, but I’ll throw it out there. As a newbie, I was a little surprised to find that when I hit the clutch to slow down to make a turn, the PTO powers down. So mowing gets much more sluggish for me when I have to hit the clutch to control the tractor.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:55 pm

Hi,
TomStein, It's always a good idea to give a tractor you just bought a complete tune up, or look at all the tune up parts and see if they are good.
Ignition points, condenser, rotor, distributor cap, spark plug wires, spark plugs.
The spark plug wires can look ok on the outside, but if they are old, they sometimes don't work good.
Check the ignition timing with a timing light with the Battery Ignition unit.
The timing is important, if it is off some, the engine can have less power than it should.
A compression test is good to do also, then you know if the compression is good.

The PTO on a Cub or offset LoBoy is not an independent PTO, it stops when you push the clutch pedal down. It starts going when you let the clutch pedal up. So when you are moving ahead, the clutch is running the transmission and the PTO.
I sent you a PM, you get to it at the top of the page. :)

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:30 pm

TomStein wrote:So I might be in a similar boat. I’m new to old tractors and the group so please don’t take my post as gospel. I’m sure about my experience but nothing else!

I just got a 1963 lo-boy. It has a 54” belly mower. Although it wasn’t mowing season in PA when I got it, I did try to mow a little bit. The tractor got MUCH slower when I fired up the PTO and cut some semi-dead grass. But it also cut the grass very well. I even kind of bottomed out the deck going over a hill (I’ll learn…) and took some grass out completely, but the blades kept spinning just fine from what I could tell.
So when you say sluggish, do you simply mean the tractor slowed down? Cause if so, mine does too. But it seems like it’ll still mow just fine.
One more thing that may be unrelated or obvious, but I’ll throw it out there. As a newbie, I was a little surprised to find that when I hit the clutch to slow down to make a turn, the PTO powers down. So mowing gets much more sluggish for me when I have to hit the clutch to control the tractor.

As previously stated, just match your tractor/equipment to the task that you want to accomplish and remember that your are dealing with a 60 year old machine with 9 ponies (hp) which was originally designed to replace the horse on the farm and last less than 20 years. :lol: JMHO, Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Return to “Farmall Cub”