This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

FARMALLCUB.INFO

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Hmmmm

Postby allenlook » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:25 pm

Hmmmm, I see a potential problem here...

Back in the day, the engineers weren't all that concerned with keeping their descriptions of the parts standard... Sometimes it's a "bearing", and sometimes it's a "brng" or "brg", same for assembly and assy, retainer and ret, etc...

If someone is referring to the real manual, we probably should retain the original text, but I think I will add a hidden column that expands every description, and also fixes the typos in the database, (like asle instead of axle) so that filtering on "bearing" bill also bring up every part that has abbreviated that word to "brg" or "brng"...

That will take some time.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

New domain name

Postby allenlook » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:52 pm

Gentlemen, in the interest of keeping everything easy to remember, I have registered a new domain name. While you probably could still access the information at http://www.allenlook.com/cub, there is now also:

http://www.farmallcub.info

For safety-sake, you should probably use the new URL... There's no telling when the old one might break :D
Last edited by allenlook on Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:00 pm

Outstanding Allen. What a great tool!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

brichter
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32449
eBay ID: Kinardhippy
Skype Name: Billy.Ray.Richter

Many thanks

Postby brichter » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:54 pm

Allan, I believe I speak for all us Cubbers when I say you have done a great job and we all owe you a great vote of thanks. There must be something about these little tractors that bring out the best in people. To paraphrase Will Rogers, "I never met a Cubber I didn't like".
If you're gonna dream or steal, do it BIG

The best things in life aren't things.
1951 Cub
1963 Corvair
lots more junk

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

You're welcome

Postby allenlook » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:14 pm

Well thanks fellas. And you're welcome!

I've been scratching my head for a while thinking how to repay everyone for letting me spew "advice" on the forums, and this seemed like a good way. :lol:

If everything works out in the next day or two, Rudi and I will have a nice surprise for everyone - and I might even have the parts database linked to an online price or inventory sheet for at least one parts supplier :)

In the near future, I also hope to have many more manuals online than have ever been available. For now, please update your bookmarks to the new URL as my ISP is having a hard time with both :( The new one is and shall remain http://www.farmallcub.info

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

UPDATE

Postby allenlook » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:57 pm

OK, the database has been updated with a hidden column that contains my expanded, unabridged, wild-assed guess of what the description should be... Some of them are pretty hard to guess!

Now filtering on "bearing" will find every part that has "bearing" or "brg" or "brng" or whatever I thought meant "bearing" in the original description. Same for "throttle" and "thrttl" and "throttl" and whatever. Those boys were NOT worried about standards when they wrote the parts manuals! After visually scanning and updating 2098 records my eyeballs are sideways :D I kept the new description hidden for space-saving reasons, figuring that the original description was probably easier to reference to the attached manual page images.

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:16 am

Allen,
What you have accomplished here is nothing but OUTSTANDING.
Can not wait to see what you do next.
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

ABBREVIATIONS

Postby allenlook » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:48 am

What the heck do some of the abbreviations on the fasteners mean?!?!? I can't find them anywhere :( Can someone help?

ZND
ZNP
C-Z
C-S
CR-REC
NS
TAP
SQ-NK
ESNA

Oh, and I just figured out something cool. When you hover your mouse over a part description from the manual, my unabridged version will pop up in a tooltip box :D That way you can laugh at some of my guesses at what the heck those abbreviations mean :lol:

Oh, one more thing - now if you click on a part number, it will find all instances of that part number in the entire manual. I added directions in the database navbar as well as tool tips on all action objects on the screen (because I hid the underline and color of any hyperlinks because I think they don't look good.) Go figger. :D

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:14 pm

Allen:

Update tossed me out of flashchat... be back on in a bit..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: ABBREVIATIONS

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:52 pm

allenlook wrote:What the heck do some of the abbreviations on the fasteners mean?!?!? I can't find them anywhere :( Can someone help?

ZND
ZNP
C-Z
C-S
CR-REC
NS
TAP
SQ-NK
ESNA

I'll give it a try, some I know, some are a guess:
ZND - Zinc dipped?
ZNP - Zinc plated
C-Z - Zinc coated? same as dipped?
C-S - typo of C-Z in parts database
CR-REC - cross recess head (Phillips)
NS - short taper thread (grease fitting)
- This may be "National Short", which would be an obsolete term.
- Only used on one part number (109 454) on Cub, but database says 219-8 in 2 places.
TAP - tapping (cuts own threads)
SQ-NK - square neck, as on carriage bolts
ENSA - trade name used on roll pins (from Elastic Stop Nut Corporation of America)

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:59 pm

TAP could also indicate threads tapped all the way to the head.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:25 pm

Actually, TAP was one I was able to verify. If you go back to an old enough parts book, it was spelled out.

Check reference 11:
http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20Parts%20Manuals/TC-37A%20Parts%20Calalog/Page%2056.jpg

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Done

Postby allenlook » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:16 pm

OK, I got all of those updated! And I fixed a couple of typos I found in the process.

Let me know if you find any others!

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:38 am

Allen, that is nothing short of amazing!

I grabbed a gasket that I just got and 'ran' the part number through search, Yow, Pow there it was.... complete with a link to the correct page in the parts manual!!!!! The possiblities are endless.

Thanks a MILLION for doing an outstanding job!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Cool!

Postby allenlook » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:02 pm

Awesome :D

At least we know that part number's correct :D

I hope to have it linked to an online parts inventory at some point, and to have it updated with quantities of each part as well.

I can't seem to get the manual OCR'ed as accurately as I would like, but over time I hope to have more manuals on there that are searchable as databases, and I will be posting manuals that are actually text-searchable as well :wink:

Return to “Farmall Cub”