This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How to Make Your Own Gaskets

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

How to Make Your Own Gaskets

Postby Stanton » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:52 am

Gaskets can be made in your workshop for most parts and applications on the Cub. A few benefits for this is:
  1. Cost
  2. Wait time
  3. Fit

Like most of you, waiting around for a gasket to show up (after paying for shipping), can be frustrating. A few of the items you need are:
  1. Gasket material (in this example, I'm using Fel-Pro #3157, 1/32" thick, but other thicknesses are available)
  2. Ball peen hammer
  3. Hole punch set
  4. X-Acto knife
  5. Good marking pen (fine line)

The hole punch set can be found at most discount big box stores or your popular China-import tool company...

Start by getting the part that needs a gasket. In this case, I'm using the upper radiator neck because it has to open holes and one blind hole. Get a piece of gasket material and trace the outline and the bolt holes. In the bolt hole under the neck, it was difficult to get a full circle drawn, but enough to see where it should be.
IMG_5148.JPG

IMG_5151.JPG

You have an outline, now find the correct size hole punch. Use your bolt to determine the exact size. In my case, it's a 3/8" diameter bolt. Punch out the two holes.
IMG_5155.JPG

IMG_5156.JPG

Now insert both bolts through the gasket and into the cast iron holes. Use your fingers to firmly hold the bolts in place so the gasket doesn't move around during the next step.
IMG_5157.JPG

IMG_5158.JPG

Use the ball end of your hammer to begin tapping (lightly) on where you think is the the edge of the blind hole. After a few taps, you'll begin to see a slight indent, then a tear. Keep tapping all around the hole until you have completed the circle.
IMG_5159.JPG

IMG_5161.JPG

The edges on this one are a little ragged, so I cleaned the cut circle up with an X-Acto knife.
IMG_5162.JPG

Finished gasket. Took less time, money and effort than to find one online at an acceptable cost and then wait for it to arrive. Now I can move on to applying the sealant of my choice and installation.
IMG_5165.JPG

IMG_5168.JPG

Hope this helps you as an alternative to manufactured gaskets.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Mht
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27606
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub(building from parts) 1950 farmall cub
1971 David Brown 880 selectamatic

Re: How to Make Your Own Gaskets

Postby Mht » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:49 am

I’m also a fan of cutting my own gaskets. I’ve found that empty brass from rifle and pistol cartridges make fairly good hole punches. They won’t hold up like steel hole punches but are readily available if you or a friend are a shooter. My steel punches stay in my tool box in my shop at home and empty brass has been a great substitute when I need to make a gasket while at my farm where the majority of my tractors stay

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657

Postby john2189 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:40 am

Still make most of mine. I still occasionally use a cereal box.
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

phill_mi
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 49435
Tractors Owned: '47 Ford 2N (with '50 8N motor)
'48 Farmall Cub
C22 sickle
'52 Ferguson TO-30
'63 Farmall 560 gas with loader

Postby phill_mi » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:05 am

Stanton and Mht both got me interested in making them. I have yet to see the results but am having fun so far.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:31 am

https://www.amazon.com/Tytroy-Heavy-Rev ... 48913&th=1

Small holes.Edit: Carburetor gaskets.
Last edited by Eugene on Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Stanton » Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:57 pm

Mht wrote:I’m also a fan of cutting my own gaskets. I’ve found that empty brass from rifle and pistol cartridges make fairly good hole punches. They won’t hold up like steel hole punches but are readily available if you or a friend are a shooter. My steel punches stay in my tool box in my shop at home and empty brass has been a great substitute when I need to make a gasket while at my farm where the majority of my tractors stay

Good suggestion! I’ll add that to the post.

When this thread gets all it’s comments, I’ll edit my original post and lock it.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:58 am

john2189 wrote:Still make most of mine. I still occasionally use a cereal box.

I'm curious what cardboard works for as gasket material? Engine oil? Gear oil? Water? I have read about using cereal boxes to make gaskets over the years, but never tried it.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:22 am

As a youngster, we made lots of gaskets from cereal boxes. The problem with this type of paper is that it will eventually start to wick and will get damp on the outside. Now days, I keep a good supply of premium gasket material, of various material and thickness. Tractor swap meets are a great place to find cut offs of high quality material.

Mht
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27606
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub(building from parts) 1950 farmall cub
1971 David Brown 880 selectamatic

Postby Mht » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:42 am

Any cardboard that’s not corrugated can be used to make a gasket. Cereal boxes are good for a thin gasket, a shoe box is good for one a little thicker. I also agree that they will wick over time. Cork and fiber gasket material is so inexpensive and available these days that I wouldn’t go to the trouble to make one out of cardboard unless I had no other choice at the moment

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:10 am

I keep photocopies (original size) of gaskets I have made or purchased in a file folder.
When I need to make a gasket, I make a copy of the master copy,
attach it to gasket material and cut right thru it and the material.
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:58 am

Instead of a ball peen hammer, I have used the curved end of a 3/4” spanner when working on small delicate metal parts like a carburetor.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:03 pm

I have a couple of gasket cutting punches. They have a round end like the peen end of a ball peen hammer. I don't know what the proper name is. They work pretty well to cut round holes, like Stanton described doing with a hammer. It just doesn't require as much accuracy with the hammer.

When using punches like the HF sets mentioned above, I suggest using a good piece of hard wood for the backing. Soft wood will result in a poorly cut gasket. A metal backer will be rough on the punch as the cheap ones are not made from high quality material.

Dave's suggestion of photocopies/scans of original gaskets to use as a pattern is a good one. If needed, you can scan the old gasket. (Cutting through a paper printout is easier than trying to cut around an old gasket.) If you want to make a pattern larger than 8-1/2 x 11, you can do sections and tape them together. When scanning a gasket, include a ruler in the scan. That way you can easily verify that your pattern is really actual size. You don't want to carefully cut out a gasket only to discover you accidentally scaled it to 96%.

It is helpful to have several ways to pattern a gasket in your bag of tricks. Different methods work better in different situations. For example, the method Stanton showed works great on the outlet neck, but isn't so good for a final drive pan, where one piece is stamped sheet metal and the other is attached to the tractor.

I generally prefer to use precut gaskets. But I often don't have the right ones on hand when I get into the middle of something and don't want to wait.

5 Forward
Zip Code: 35150
Tractors Owned: Ford 600 1955
Farmall Cub 1957
Farmall Cub 1948

Postby 5 Forward » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:48 pm

I bought a circle cutter off Amazon. It works great for cutting gaskets for the governor and distributer drive. I made perfect gaskets for the fan. I was like everyone else tired of waiting a week for gaskets to arrive. Plus, you can purchase a sheet of gasket material for what one gasket cost.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:50 pm

I had some of the thin flexible cutting boards that I was replacing with new, so I decided to make gasket patterns with them. I THINK I have one for each gasket. As Jim mentioned, however, the final gasket uses a lot of material, and has so many holes plus the blind inside...I usually try to have a pair on "the shelf" for quicker replacement. If/when I place another order with TM or similar, I just add some of the more difficult gaskets to have as spares.
Here are just a few...
20220704_153635_copy_1008x567[1].jpg
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Stanton » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:24 am

Dale Finch wrote:I had some of the thin flexible cutting boards that I was replacing with new, so I decided to make gasket patterns with them. I THINK I have one for each gasket. As Jim mentioned, however, the final gasket uses a lot of material, and has so many holes plus the blind inside...I usually try to have a pair on "the shelf" for quicker replacement. If/when I place another order with TM or similar, I just add some of the more difficult gaskets to have as spares.
Here are just a few...
20220704_153635_copy_1008x567[1].jpg

Don't suppose I ever considered the final opening as a blind hole. I have used mylar (from my drafting days) and measuring with a ruler to get the exact opening dimensions and guideline to cut it. I would think any firm plastic that is not completely opaque would be a good candidate to use. Simply punch a few (or all) your bolt holes, drop in a couple or 3 bolts as place holders, then carefully trace the blind opening and cut out. I've made most of my templates from mylar. In this example (above), I was trying to demonstrate the use of tapping out an inside or blind opening as another way to do it.

Great suggestions, tips, and advice for those who commented. Will be trying to incorporate these into the thread before it's locked down.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”