This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Now- Cranky Cub won't start...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Pap
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 38401
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub ( Err Err )
I could not say tractor when I was 2 years old so I called it Err Err.

I loved this tractor then and I still love it now.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Now- Cranky Cub won't start...

Postby Pap » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:53 pm

Good luck Jim.

I hope you get it figured out soon. I know that it's got to be driving you nuts....
Are We Having Fun Yet ? :D
'47 cub ( Err Err )

JustJim
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 30540

Postby JustJim » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:32 pm

Well Brother, like you, my darling bride is hoping I get it figured out soon. She says I'm hard enough to live with when I'm not preoccupied with a cranky old tractor! :shock:

I have a friend who just bought a nice piece of flat ground a short distance away. He doesn't live up here (yet), but is coming up for a little visit. I fired up the old rusty trusty '59 Cub and used it to mow his pasture. I was wanting to be kind to him, but also I needed to remember how much I enjoy using the Cub. My frustrating '49 Cub was making me forget that! :lol:

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:08 am

Jim,
It sounds like you are doing everything correctly. It also sounds like your impulse coupling is working correctly. A weak coil can make a Cub very hard to start, so maybe that is it. I did have another thought that I don't think has been discussed. Have you confirmed that your choke lever is connected properly, and actually operates the choke butterfly correctly? The knurled shaft can wear, allowing the rod connection point to rotate on the shaft rather than moving the chole plate, just a thought....
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Pap
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 38401
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub ( Err Err )
I could not say tractor when I was 2 years old so I called it Err Err.

I loved this tractor then and I still love it now.

Postby Pap » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:27 am

Hey Jim I was just wondering if the coil that you have been using came off of " ol' parts " . If it did was it a 12 volt coil ? That might make a difference.
Are We Having Fun Yet ? :D
'47 cub ( Err Err )

JustJim
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby JustJim » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:14 pm

Pap-

I have no way of knowing, but I would think any internal magneto coil would be 6-volt compatible. Regardless, I tried it with a 12-volt battery, and other than cranking faster, there was no change in performance.

Rick-

Yes, choke is functioning fine. I can monitor that via the outboard lever on the choke shaft. I know every Cub is different, and this one seems to not like much choke at all. If I leave it on full for more than a couple of cranks, it quits popping and trying to start.

Thanks once again, friends!

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:35 pm

Hi,
The original style Cub magneto coil, in the top of the magneto is not run on 6 volts or 12 volts.
It is not connected to any battery, and uses no battery power.
The magneto is independent from the rest of the electrical system.

The condenser could also be the problem, besides the coil.
A condenser costs less than a coil, so you could try replacing the condenser again, you said before on page 2 of this post you did replace it.
The condenser or coil can have problems and not work right.
New electrical parts can be defective and not work right. :)

JustJim
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby JustJim » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:33 pm

Glen-

You've schooled me! I wasn't thinking right, was I?

Yes, the condenser is new, but if the new coil doesn't solve the issue, I'll take it down stairs and examine it. I have several types of capacitor testers from my time spent restoring old ham radio gear.

Thanks for setting me straight!