This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Independent rear cultivators not digging in.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
matthewtdell@gmail.com
Zip Code: 12404
Tractors Owned: Workmaster 55
1978 Longstripe Cub

Independent rear cultivators not digging in.

Postby matthewtdell@gmail.com » Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:55 pm

Hello,

New cub owner and first time poster. Thanks for your patience in advance. Still learning all the right vocabulary for parts and such.

Just bought a 1978 long stripe cub in great condition, and I have some questions about my independent rear hitch.

Rear lift was disconnected from hydraulics, and now lifts manually with a long handle and a button on top.

I'm having trouble getting those rear cultivators to dig in the way I want - and it takes a lot of elbow grease on the long handle, multiple passes, and the *just-so* conditions shortly after a rain to get good results. Once the handle is in position and I'm cultivating, I have to fight with the handle again at the end of the row to get them back up.

I'm not trying to go that deep - just 1-2" for some weeds that got ahead of me. But often these scratchers are just scraping the surface, not getting under much of anything. Sometimes one side bites in nicely and fractures the top 1-2", the other side scratches around on top. Seems to vary with soil hardness.

Wondering where to start - new sweeps? Different sweeps? Different cultivators?

And for the handle - adjust the spring tension on the lift handle? Adjustments to the rear hitch?

Thanks again
Attachments
IMG-2110.jpg
IMG-2110.jpg (89.22 KiB) Viewed 543 times
IMG-2109.jpg
IMG-2109.jpg (94.32 KiB) Viewed 543 times
IMG-2108.jpg
IMG-2108.jpg (100.23 KiB) Viewed 543 times
Matt Dell

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Re: Independent rear cultivators not digging in.

Postby tmays » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:10 pm

Might help to have good points. The rears are usually used to clear the middle out and remove the tracks. Personally, id remove what you have and put a good size sweep behind each tire. The shank will need to be adjusted to give results you want.
Thomas

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Clemsonfor » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:12 pm

Why not get the bar that attaches the lift to the rears so that it will use downward force on them. Those king scratchers I don't think will go as deep in hard soils like sweeps would. I would trade those out for some shanks and sweeps and keep the point pointed more downward so that the Foward movement digs them in.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:43 pm

A lot depends on your field conditions.

On some good loose soil, they should work fine.

But they probably will not work up last years seed bed that is all overgrown this year!

I see your tread setting is real wide, what is it that your cultivating?
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:04 am

As stated those are not really "rear cultivators." They're basically "tire mark erasers."

The front gangs are what do the primary loosening of soil. Are you lowering the front gangs?

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:45 pm

Hi,
If you don't want to use the hand lever, you could remove it, and buy the regular rear lift for use with the Touch Control.

Below is the Cub 144 Cultivator operator's manual, the rear lift for use with the Touch Control is shown on page 13.
I don't know which cultivator you have, but the manual shows the rear lift. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:09 am

Cultivators don't like hard ground or dense weed root mats. And don't really like healthy weeds. They're not for breaking ground or decent thatch.
More for breaking up clods on well tilled or plowed (maybe even twice plowed) high friability soil.

A harrow run prior might help. I pull a spring toothed cultivator with harrow teeth on the rear of it and it still doesn't do much in a single pass. Or several passes on dense stuff.
I'd add weight; but like adding weight to your rear bars , if the spring teeth did dig in a couple inches I'd need a tall rear deflector and umbrella on the Cub when the springs began to fling due to the resistance of what is being pulled through Vs. loose soil.

Can't see what yours is doing. Dull tips can ride on root/weed clots and by having both greater weight distribution and lubrication...Just slide on the surface. With taller stuff I've worn out by going over and over and over it , I'm getting off to clean out all the clotted grass weed and thatch. Bushels and bushels of it one day.. Otherwise the teeth just ride along on top of the loose debris.

The time to cultivate is before you need to cultivate. So says the guy who gets so far behind ; a plow or single row buster might be more effective. L.o.l..

Ole Timey Farmin
Zip Code: 39465

Postby Ole Timey Farmin » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:05 am

I agree with what others have said, I'd swap out those king cultivators and get sweeps instead. They make em from 4-16 inches. Also you mentioned it's hard lifting them? That hand lift should allow even a woman to lift 500+ pound implement if it's adjusted right. I no longer have any cubs but the one I had planter and cultivators on did n it would lift rear cultivators with 2 fingers n a simple push. Try cleaning it, oil it n then adjust it n it should lift easily.

matthewtdell@gmail.com
1978 Longstripe Cub

Postby matthewtdell@gmail.com » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:24 am

SamsFarm wrote:A lot depends on your field conditions.

On some good loose soil, they should work fine.

But they probably will not work up last years seed bed that is all overgrown this year!

I see your tread setting is real wide, what is it that your cultivating?

Yeah that good loose soil doesn't last long for us! We transplant with a tractor pulled transplanter so compact the aisles straight away. After a couple good rains we can say goodbye to loose soil. But maybe a more aggressive aisle cultivation schedule is part of the solution?

We're cultivating field grown cut-flowers on 4' bed tops.
Matt Dell

matthewtdell@gmail.com
1978 Longstripe Cub

Postby matthewtdell@gmail.com » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:28 am

Matt Kirsch wrote:As stated those are not really "rear cultivators." They're basically "tire mark erasers."

The front gangs are what do the primary loosening of soil. Are you lowering the front gangs?

I gotcha, that makes sense. I use the front gangs very little - only for the last cultivation passes on some two row crops. On the belly mount I mostly use a 4 row basket weeder and a torsion weeder.
Matt Dell

matthewtdell@gmail.com
1978 Longstripe Cub

Postby matthewtdell@gmail.com » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:30 am

Glen wrote:Hi,
If you don't want to use the hand lever, you could remove it, and buy the regular rear lift for use with the Touch Control.

Below is the Cub 144 Cultivator operator's manual, the rear lift for use with the Touch Control is shown on page 13.
I don't know which cultivator you have, but the manual shows the rear lift. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

I like the independent rear cultivators because sometimes I cultivate perennial crops with sod aisles and don't want to tear it up with the rear cultivators.
Matt Dell

matthewtdell@gmail.com
1978 Longstripe Cub

Postby matthewtdell@gmail.com » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:34 am

Waif wrote:Cultivators don't like hard ground or dense weed root mats. And don't really like healthy weeds. They're not for breaking ground or decent thatch.
More for breaking up clods on well tilled or plowed (maybe even twice plowed) high friability soil.

A harrow run prior might help. I pull a spring toothed cultivator with harrow teeth on the rear of it and it still doesn't do much in a single pass. Or several passes on dense stuff.
I'd add weight; but like adding weight to your rear bars , if the spring teeth did dig in a couple inches I'd need a tall rear deflector and umbrella on the Cub when the springs began to fling due to the resistance of what is being pulled through Vs. loose soil.

Can't see what yours is doing. Dull tips can ride on root/weed clots and by having both greater weight distribution and lubrication...Just slide on the surface. With taller stuff I've worn out by going over and over and over it , I'm getting off to clean out all the clotted grass weed and thatch. Bushels and bushels of it one day.. Otherwise the teeth just ride along on top of the loose debris.

The time to cultivate is before you need to cultivate. So says the guy who gets so far behind ; a plow or single row buster might be more effective. L.o.l..

Well last year was our first year with the machine, and we improved over the course of the season. But I hear ya on the timely cultivation practice - it's a hard habit to get into when you're also planting and harvesting and doing a million other things at the same time of year.
Matt Dell

matthewtdell@gmail.com
1978 Longstripe Cub

Postby matthewtdell@gmail.com » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:38 am

Ole Timey Farmin wrote:I agree with what others have said, I'd swap out those king cultivators and get sweeps instead. They make em from 4-16 inches. Also you mentioned it's hard lifting them? That hand lift should allow even a woman to lift 500+ pound implement if it's adjusted right. I no longer have any cubs but the one I had planter and cultivators on did n it would lift rear cultivators with 2 fingers n a simple push. Try cleaning it, oil it n then adjust it n it should lift easily.

I'm thinking I'll go sweeps, thanks for the *tips*.

You're right, whatever's on the rear lifts easily - my problem I think was that, when I got to the end of a pass, any cultivator tips that didn't bite in were squeezing against the ground and that upward pressure made releasing the handle bar a real tough maneuver - no matter the gender of the tractor operator.
Matt Dell

matthewtdell@gmail.com
1978 Longstripe Cub

Postby matthewtdell@gmail.com » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:47 am

tmays wrote:Might help to have good points. The rears are usually used to clear the middle out and remove the tracks. Personally, id remove what you have and put a good size sweep behind each tire. The shank will need to be adjusted to give results you want.

Thanks, I think you and others are right about the sweeps. These scratchers are just the wrong tool for when aisle weeds get ahead of me.
Matt Dell

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:41 am

Sounds like you might wait too long after planting to get cultivating. Or you are on the ground when it is too damp / wet!

I use a 4000# tractor for most tillage and planting, then cultivate with the Cub.

But then again, I have sweeps on my cultivators.

I believe those spring shanks would do the job (maybe even better than my sweeps) in my heavy clay soil, but I dont like them because they take up too much room behind the tractor vs the sweeps!

I stay out of the fields when it is damp, unless it is harvest time, or in the extreme instance where it is raining all season (rare) after planting.

1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Return to “Farmall Cub”