This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

C60 Rebuild

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
panicmechanic
10+ Years
10+ Years

C60 Rebuild

Postby panicmechanic » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Well, thanks to all the advice from this forum I have obtained all the internals to rebuild my cub power plant. I purchased Pistons (cast iron like the originals), rings, bearings, guides, valves, springs and a gasket set all through the local NAPA dealer. They are all American made minus the valves and guides! All familiar name brand stuff. I had feared for a while that I had no choices left in this global economy. All is at the machine shop and should be back by the end of the week. Then the fun begins! Thanks to all who provided info and help!! :lol:
Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

MelonKing
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby MelonKing » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:00 pm

I'm getting ready to have one rebuilt also. I'm curious as to how much did it all end up costing you? Did you get all the seals and gaskets from NAPA also? Thanks and good luck on the rebuild.... Dewight
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. It's not where I last left it!

Currently Restoring a '48 CUB

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:40 am

The two that I rebuilt recently (vs. overhaul) was twelve hundred sixty five dollars and twelve hundred twenty five dollars respectively for parts and machine shop work. Neither required rebore and/or new pistons. What I consider a overhaul can be done for three hundred dollars or less. I have two waiting in the wings for overhauls now. One is the mosquito fogger I bought last week and sold to my neighbor. panicmechanic, it sounds like you are on your way.

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby John(videodoc) » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:23 pm

i got an estimate to redo one of mine, it was 1400 for a complete rebuild with a local shop in terre haute, he came highly recommended by the local caseIH dealer.

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

Ok now....

Postby SundaySailor » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:03 pm

These prices are interesting. Could others post their estimates/actual rebuild prices? I want to save up and have this done to my Cub one day.
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

superc_1
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 72823
Tractors Owned: 3- A's
1 Super C
1- 1951 cub
1- 1957 lo-boy

Postby superc_1 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:02 am

I rebuilt mine last summer and I paid around $500.00. This price included new pistons .020 over, rings, rod bearings, main bearings, valve job, valve stems, had to bush the connecting rods, he surfaced the head, turned the crank and all machine work, and then I put back together all the external items, he installed the guts. I don't remember if he put harden seats in? By the way, she purses like a sewing machine. Should be ready for another 50 years of service.
No matter where you go, there you are.
"Jefthro Burns"

panicmechanic
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby panicmechanic » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:32 am

I will dig out the reciept an see what is on it for part #. These parts were all ordered through the Heavy Duty Clevitte catalog. They also can be accessed on line. Shopped around and could have bought import stuff for about $150 less but would have had shipping cost also. I am more comfortable buying from a reputable company like clevitte and paying a little more. Total was about $735 with tax for the following: Full gasket set, four pistons (original cast iron style), ring sets, all new valves, springs, keepers, guides, rod and main bearings. Machine work looks like this: $20 per cyl to bore and hone (.030 over), $100 to turn the crank(.010 under r&m), $40 to deck the block or head, $60 to touch the seats (they are all in real nice shape) $120 if I wanted the shop to do a complete valve job (grind, lap, guides, reassemble) I am cleaning all the parts myself so no hot tank costs incurred. I try to do anything that I can myself to help keep costs to a minimum and put the money in good parts instead. Ray
Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Return to “Farmall Cub”