This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Couple of Cub questions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dave F.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Couple of Cub questions

Postby Dave F. » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:54 pm

1st. question, On my 58 cub low boy I am having problems with the head lights when the swich is set for dim they are really dim.( lurker Carl candle lights are 10X brighter) & when switched to bright they flash/flicker not steady or continous, I belive it may be a grounding issue on this cub it has the 2 wire head lights where is the 2nd wire grounded ? oh by the way when the tractor is started & running it shows 10 amps charging on the gauge all the time. 2nd. question I need more thottle the need for more speed the thottle rod from the govenor to carb is set correctlly & no play or slop in the gov. rock shaft/key way arm thingy. I am open for susgestions , last question on my 48 cub the valve cover bolts leak oil I've replaced the copper/rubber washers but they still leak anybody have a fix for this. Sorry about the long post. Thanks Dave F.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:33 pm

You will have to trace the ground wire from the bulbs back to the frame. The ground should be very close to the headlights. If it were a ground issue the light should flicker on dim as well as bright. It could be an issue with the light switch.

I would check the voltage at the first light, right headlight, with a digital voltmeter. This will tell you if it's a fluxating voltage problem or a ground problem.

Eugene

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:06 am

Bringing this to the top of the forum.

Problem #2. Valve cover gasket leaking at bolts. Could be the bolts are to long. Try putting the flat washer on the bolt first then the rubber washer/gasket. If the bolt doesn't tighten up add one or two more flat washers. It would be unusual for the valve cover to be leaking around it's retaining bolts.

Problem #3. Engine speed. 58 Lowboy has a 12 volt system. You can check the engine rpms with a standard tach and dwell meter. 1800 RPM is about all you are going to get at high speed with no load on the engine.

Return to “Farmall Cub”