This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

A Tip of the Farmall CUB hat…

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ole90633
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17701
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub Standard

A Tip of the Farmall CUB hat…

Postby Ole90633 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:00 am

A grateful Tip of the Farmall CUB Hat to Ron Winship at Windy Hill Restoration, TM Tractor :hattip:

My consistent sweet running 1949 Farmall Cub, with the IH J4 Magneto, just didn’t want to start the weekend of 8-9 January !
Got deep into troubleshooting during the following weekdays cause, a nasty Nor’easter was coming with forecast of 4”-9” of wet snow, followed by rain and below freezing temps.
The storm clouds were overhead; you could sense the Nor’easter on the doorstep Friday the 14th, when I finally determined that my twenty year old magneto coil was failing internally !
Just after lunch Friday, called Ron and ordered: distributor cap, rotor, points & condenser, magneto coil, full magneto gasket set… all in stock !
Paid the premium for UPS Overnight, Saturday Delivery from Windham, ME to Williamsport, PA and Ron put it all together !
While awaiting the parts, decided to drain the 15W40 mineral oil I’ve always run year-round for forty years and, put in 10W30 as we’re gonna be below freezing and into the single digits for a week. A’yup, new oil filter and primed the oil pump !
Drained the few gallons of fuel and put ‘fresh’ Grade 90/Ethanol free in.
The precious package arrived on time Saturday and I almost hugged the UPS driver.
Working in the unheated garage at 8*F, pulled the magneto for the umpteenth time; then, over to the heated shop (55*F) and rebuilt it.
Back into the garage, now at 10*F, to time the magneto to the engine, which I can now do in the dark and blind-folded !
Set-up my usual starting sequence; put the hand crank in (no battery and therefore, no belt on the generator)…
… third pull, the CUB fires, stumbles a bit, catches a breath then settles into the sweet smooth sound we all love :tractor:

Together, ‘Mariam’ and I got the snow plow job done in our fine tradition !

Again, A SINCERE THANK YOU TO RON WINSHIP AND TM TRACTOR for answering my call in need !

It’s why I keep returning to him as a customer :thanx:

Don

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: A Tip of the Farmall CUB hat…

Postby ricky racer » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:57 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:16 am

Yep! Totally agree! And when it comes right down to quality, he consistently has good stuff! He tries to keep shipping costs down, but if you need to order just 1 item, go "stroll" through his parts catalog (that alone is a great resource!!) and fill your basket with other often-needed parts...that way you'll have that tune-up kit, governor spring, carb rebuild kit, etc...it won't increase your shipping costs that much.

Thanks, Ron!

(In case you're new, check out TM's link at the bottom of the page...in addition to being a forum sponsor, his website has great information...worth a look)
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Ole90633
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17701
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub Standard

Postby Ole90633 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:24 am

Interestingly, twenty years ago, February 2002, I had a similar problem: after plowing another heavy snowfall: Cub quit and wouldn’t restart ? Of course, halfway up/down the 1,200’ driveway, depending on your perspective !

Good neighbor with his Farmall M, helps me get the ‘little sister’ up to my shop :)

The new replacement paper & varnish magneto coil I installed when I overhauled the ‘new to me’ Cub in 1984, had failed ! Replaced that magneto coil with a plastic encased coil from Weaver’s Magneto Repair, Shiloh, OH.

Hmmm, seems to be a trend here: 1984 coil went eighteen(18) year’s; 2002 new replacement went twenty(20) year’s; the new replacement coil I just installed will be due in 2042… which means, the Cub and I will both be 92 ! It’ll be a case of who’s left standing then :lol:

Maybe I’d better order another from TM Tractor now as, they might be a bit tough to get then !

Don

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:42 pm

Looks like an owner and supplier got things figured out just right!

Congrats on the experiences.

Return to “Farmall Cub”