This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

ether vs Carb cleaner

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Joeandmack
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 03303
Tractors Owned: 58 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

ether vs Carb cleaner

Postby Joeandmack » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:39 am

I am up in the North East, a couple nights ago it was -9 and the weather is forecast for about the same with snow. I mainly use my 58 Cub for plowing, though I would like to eventually restore it. With the cold weather and starting I have heard people use Carburetor cleaners instead of diethyl ether based starter fluids. Why is that? After dusting off my high school chemistry I see that Carb Cleaners have more ingredients including a number of chemicals and compounds that have multiple carbon, hydrogen and oxygen groups, double bonds and rings.

Acetone, Xylene, Toulene Propane, Butanone, Ethyl Benzene, 2- Butoxyethanol... What I Found according to google

Whereas Diethyl Ether is a simpler cluster of carbon hydrogen bonds linked to an oxygen molecule. Is the thought process that more bonds are being broken and more energy released in carb cleaner than an Ether based engine starter, allowing more bang for your buck? Is combustion temperature the concern and damaging the engine?

If Carb cleaners are the way to go, are there some that should be avoided and others encouraged? Are there some compounds to be avoid or encouraged?

Can you tell it was a slow shift last night at work? I am by no means a chemist or a mechanic. Just curious what people who’ve been around Cubs longer than me think and what their logic is. Thank you.

-Joe

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Re: ether vs Carb cleaner

Postby tst » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:01 am

if you need to use chemicals to make your engine start you have other issues, need good compression, spark and fuel and it will start, ether washes down the cylinders cleaning away the oil the pistons need, do not like to use it at all, if so just a small amount

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:03 am

Because it’s cheaper, it’s multi-functional and it works. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:57 pm

A couple more observations that are mostly baseless opinions:

Ether is pretty potent. If you use too much you can damage internal things.

Carb cleaner is probably as bad as ether at washing down the cylinders.

The most effective part of carb cleaner as a starting fluid is the propane propellant, while the actual cleaner is irrelevant.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:40 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Because it’s cheaper, it’s multi-functional and it works. :D

This right here......

Fortunately in eastern NC, we don't have much need for the nose candy in our diesels. On a stubborn gas burner seems like most anything sprayable and also flammable seems to work, at least to help determine if it won't start because of a fuel or a fire issue.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:55 pm

Agree with Jim and Al. Use it only to determine if you have a fuel supply issue. If you need to use it on a regular basis, you have maintenance to perform.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:25 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Agree with Jim and Al. Use it only to determine if you have a fuel supply issue. If you need to use it on a regular basis, you have maintenance to perform.

I honestly can count the number of times I have used nose candy on any of our actual farm tractors on my fingers, with over a hand's worth left over. Part of this is our climate, the other is good batteries. The 2940 has enough hours on it that it doesn't seem to start quite as good as it used to, but usually sawing the steering wheel back and forth will give it enough extra help to fire right up.

We disconnected the nose candy "turbo boost" can dispenser on the 4255 years ago.

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Greenthumbfarms
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 60450
Tractors Owned: 1974 Cub Cadet 1450
1977 Cub Cadet 1650

1950 Farmall Cub (Georgette)
1956 Farmall 230 (Gladys)
1959 Farmall 240 Utility (Heather)
1962 John Deere 4010 Gas with No.45 Loader (Helen)
1966 John Deere 4020 Deisel (Jack)
1975 International Cub (Ozzie)

Postby Greenthumbfarms » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:08 pm

All the experienced mechanics around here always warned the evils of always relying on ether to start. I have heard that a motor will grow dependent on it to start, although the science behind that is fuzzy to me. I avoid using it until it becomes the last resort, and when needed use as little as possible. Block heaters, oil pan heaters, and thinner winter oil are always first choice.
We do have one tractor that we had bought that was a "crack addict" anytime below 60 degrees. It's due for a rebuild anyways, so I'm hoping that will cure it of that.
Not to say it won't damage a gasoline engine, but having an actual ignition source rather than just compression does make me more comfortable using it with gas engines instead of diesel.
Secretary with Will County Threshermens Association (Will County, Illinois)
62nd Annual Will County Threshermens gas and steam tractor show July 18-21, 2024 featuring JI Case Steam and gas tractors. All makes welcome
https://www.steamshow.org/

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:52 pm

Greenthumbfarms wrote:All the experienced mechanics around here always warned the evils of always relying on ether to start. I have heard that a motor will grow dependent on it to start, although the science behind that is fuzzy to me. I avoid using it until it becomes the last resort, and when needed use as little as possible. Block heaters, oil pan heaters, and thinner winter oil are always first choice.
We do have one tractor that we had bought that was a "crack addict" anytime below 60 degrees. It's due for a rebuild anyways, so I'm hoping that will cure it of that.
Not to say it won't damage a gasoline engine, but having an actual ignition source rather than just compression does make me more comfortable using it with gas engines instead of diesel.

I've always heard about ether addiction but I think it's mostly an old wives' tail.

Al

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:04 pm

Greenthumbfarms wrote:. . . I have heard that a motor will grow dependent on it to start, although the science behind that is fuzzy to me.

The explanation is fairly simple. You even provided it for us.

Greenthumbfarms wrote:. . . We do have one tractor that we had bought that was a "crack addict" anytime below 60 degrees. It's due for a rebuild anyways, . . .

To elaborate, starting fluid largely came from the world of Diesel engines, where cold weather starting has always been a problem. Since Diesels depend on compression to cause ignition, a worn engine that has lost compression is even more difficult to start. A little whiff of starting fluid makes it start. So the operator of a mostly worn-out engine begins using starting fluid in case quantities. Meanwhile, the worn-out engine keeps getting more worn-out. Pretty soon, it is so worn out that it needs starting fluid when it is 80 degrees. Blame the ether!

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:26 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
Greenthumbfarms wrote:. . . I have heard that a motor will grow dependent on it to start, although the science behind that is fuzzy to me.

The explanation is fairly simple. You even provided it for us.

Greenthumbfarms wrote:. . . We do have one tractor that we had bought that was a "crack addict" anytime below 60 degrees. It's due for a rebuild anyways, . . .

To elaborate, starting fluid largely came from the world of Diesel engines, where cold weather starting has always been a problem. Since Diesels depend on compression to cause ignition, a worn engine that has lost compression is even more difficult to start. A little whiff of starting fluid makes it start. So the operator of a mostly worn-out engine begins using starting fluid in case quantities. Meanwhile, the worn-out engine keeps getting more worn-out. Pretty soon, it is so worn out that it needs starting fluid when it is 80 degrees. Blame the ether!

I was thinking the same thing. It allows you to start a worn motor longer and one day it won't hardly start at 90 degrees on anything.

I am a member of the vintage yanmar forum on another site. We have seen many instances where an owner used ether in those little Yanmars and cracked the cylinder lands , broke rings, or blew holes in the piston with just one use. Well tell everyone to keep that stuff in the cabinet, if you got away without damage count yourself lucky. I have never used it in my little diesel and never will. I have seen many people come there that did it the first time and it was their last time with that engine!! (Because the blew a hole in a piston etc) These are not just people who have never done anything these are people that had used tractors before or been around them for years doing this in other things, do it first time in the little twin diesel and boom .

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:19 am

A gas tractor should start fine without it once you learn the quirks of that perticular tractor! (As long as it is functioning properly)

If a diesel has glow plugs or a intake pre-heater, then starting fluid is a big No No!!!

There was a time where diesels standard starting procedure included starting fluid for cold weather.

Many diesel tractors from the 60's, 70's, probably even the 80's too, had some factory gizmo that you could access from the operators seat. Some even had a system mounted to the tractor, operated with a electric button in the tractor cab.
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:06 pm

SamsFarm wrote:
Many diesel tractors from the 60's, 70's, probably even the 80's too, had some factory gizmo that you could access from the operators seat. Some even had a system mounted to the tractor, operated with a electric button in the tractor cab.

That would be the turbo boost button. I have heard tales of hired hands not understanding what it was for and blowing an engine with it. We disconnected ours years ago on the JD 4255.

Al

cobra2411
Zip Code: 19344
Tractors Owned: 71 IH Cub
68 Cub Cadet 124
76 Economy Power King
65 Economy Power King
8x Simplicity 6516

Postby cobra2411 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:02 pm

SamsFarm wrote:If a diesel has glow plugs or a intake pre-heater, then starting fluid is a big No No!!!

Best answer is not to use starting fluid. If you have to, make sure such systems are deactivated or it's likely you'll damage the engine.

Also, just give it a wiff, don't hose it down... A little goes a long way... Now if the engine is trash with no compression then you may need to really lay into the ether...

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:34 pm

Super A wrote:
SamsFarm wrote:

That would be the turbo boost button. I have heard tales of hired hands not understanding what it was for and blowing an engine with it. We disconnected ours years ago on the JD 4255.

Al

:lol:

Nitrous button!
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Return to “Farmall Cub”