This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

48 Cub - starter grinds

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
phill_mi
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 49435
Tractors Owned: '47 Ford 2N (with '50 8N motor)
'48 Farmall Cub
C22 sickle
'52 Ferguson TO-30
'63 Farmall 560 gas with loader
Circle of Safety: Y

48 Cub - starter grinds

Postby phill_mi » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:22 pm

Greetings; I picked up this 48 Cub from a neighbor a few weeks ago. He got it in a estate sale, as a non-running 'barn find' and he did a tune up and fixed flat tires before putting a for sale sign on it. I drove it about a 1/2 mile home and parked it in the barn as I change all fluids and prepare it to be a working tractor with a C22 sickle. He told me that the starter sometimes grinds against the flywheel, but it only happened a couple of times when it was at his place. I pulled the starter and cleaned it up with dry lubricant on the bendix, but then it only engaged about one in ten times. I pulled the starter again and took it to a starter/alternator/battery shop that I frequently visit. They replaced the brushes and fixed a lose connection with a screw to the field winding wire. They indicated that they did not think the drive needed to be replaced. I also ordered parts from TM tractor and replaced the 12v battery ground cable with a cable for a 6v system. Any suggestions on what I need to do to figure out why the bendix fails to engage the flywheel? Can the teeth be cleaned up or must the tractor be split and replaced? Thanks for all the resources. Phill

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Re: 48 Cub - starter grinds

Postby Glen » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:10 pm

Hi,
If you mean that the starter gear grinds against the flywheel ring gear, and doesn't engage, I would inspect the teeth on the ring gear.
Remove the starter, and use a good light in the starter hole, sit down beside the engine, on a lawn chair, or something, it makes it easier working there.
Mark 1 or more teeth with chalk, and slowly turn the engine, using the fan, stopping every few inches around the gear. Inspect the teeth all the way around the ring gear, until you get to the chalk marks again.
If some of the teeth look worn or battered on the front side of them, use a small flat file and file them to the right shape.
Hopefully no teeth are wornout. If there are one or more bad teeth, the ring gear would need replacing.
TM Tractor at the bottom of the page has a new ring gear.

Below is a pic showing the shape of the teeth, it should enlarge enough that you can see the teeth better. The teeth are worn some on the front edge, which is up, in the pic.
The wedged out metal should be filed off, so the teeth look the same as back farther on them.
The teeth usually have an angle cut off one edge to help the starter gear engage better, you can file those too, if needed. :)
Attachments
Cub f w 6.JPG

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:43 am

I replaced the ring gear on my Cub a while back. Biggest part of the job is splitting the tractor.

Rather spend a lot of time filing down the teeth. Couple of options; replace the ring gear, or remove the ring gear and rotate 45 degrees.

Search this site for how to replace the ring gear.

In the mean time. Before starting tractor, rotate the engine about 1/8 to 1/4 turn of the crank shaft. This should put good/better teeth in line with the starter.
I have an excuse. CRS.

phill_mi
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 49435
Tractors Owned: '47 Ford 2N (with '50 8N motor)
'48 Farmall Cub
C22 sickle
'52 Ferguson TO-30
'63 Farmall 560 gas with loader

Postby phill_mi » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:06 pm

Thanks for the advice. I have not had a chance to work on this yet. Tonight my 560 broke down out in the field (with zero oil pressure and engine noise). I need that tractor for many tasks including keeping the snow cleared so I can respond to being on 24hr call at work. I will post details and questions in the 560 forum, but thanks for the advice on the Cub.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:52 am

You might look over the mounting surface of the starter.
In particular , the "angle of the dangle".
Debris , paint , a burr or seam on the casting of either mating surface on one side or the other can angle the starter.

Like many bolted items , there is play in holes before tightening.
Sometime millimeters make a difference.
You might be able to move the starter closer to the flywheel by loosening bolts , them politely thumping the starter towards it/towards center of tractor to use all the reach the holes allow.

Return to “Farmall Cub”