This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

47 Cub up and running!!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AHS
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 04428

47 Cub up and running!!

Postby AHS » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:21 am

My Great grandfather’s Cub!! It smoked a little bit for about 10 minutes, then cleared up. Very impressed!! If only they made cars and trucks like they do tractors! New; points, dist cap, rotor button, plug wires, plugs, coil, gov seal and new (ebay) carb. It stalled twice… it could be the carb or ignition. Do you guys have a metal line with the glass bowl at the bottom of the tank or do you have a rubber line with a fuel filter in the middle? What’s the difference between the $40 ebay carb and the $240 TM carb?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

lowgearfarm
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 03227
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub
'83 Kubota B7100

Re: 47 Cub up and running!!

Postby lowgearfarm » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:04 am

AHS wrote: Do you guys have a metal line with the glass bowl at the bottom of the tank or do you have a rubber line with a fuel filter in the middle?

Congratulations on getting your FCub up and running. And welcome to the forum.
Re: Gas lines. The originalists on this forum can give you practical reasons for using steel lines - primarily safety issues. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. The overriding issue for me (half steel, half rubber) is getting enough gas to the engine to keep the engine run properly without risking a leak or break in the line.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Waif » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:43 am

Congrats on the gains!

The cheap carbs are hit or miss as to specs. Expect to need to adjust the float height. And to not have as durable components.

Gas on a Cub is supplied by gravity. A filter has to address that. I stressed gravity feed when inquiring at the local auto supply. It is a larger filter than what we see on lawn tractors, and that is just the cosmetics, Flow is what matters... And don't neglect to have flow direction through filter right. Some have an arrow molded on them to remind us .

Rubber lines need kept from high heat. In the Cubs case the exhaust manifold.
Keeping fuel flow in mind , the one Cub I put hose on touches the transmission tube/housing. I added a larger piece of hose section split on one side to fit over the fuel line in case of friction or vibration.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:56 pm

When I got my grandfather's cub my cousin who had it, I believe bought all this parts at the Case IH dealer and he said that the dealer no longer carries a steel line but has a rubber replacement. Its a rubber line, not like regular fuel line but looks more like a brake hose to me, with crimped on fittings that can be turned with a wrench. This is what he told me. I have the reuuber "replacement" one day I will probably buy a metal line off eBay. I could make one myself but I would have to mess with the bending and re flaring the end where I cut the metal line, fool with adapters for brake line etc. And I don't even have an old one to go by. I'll just spend the little bit more to get a metal line pre fabbed.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:43 pm

TM Tractor still carries steel lines for both vertical and underslung exhausts.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:27 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:TM Tractor still carries steel lines for both vertical and underslung exhausts.

So do several eBay sellers. That's my point there still available. For whatever reason the dealer or at least his dealer didn't have them.

AHS
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 04428

Postby AHS » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:37 pm

Ok, thank you! The Cub was wicked low on gas when it stalled. I don’t know if that matters. I put in more gas, and the Cub sat today… as I stained the deck!

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:57 pm

If it's really love the gas can slosh around and maybe make an air pocket but with the fuel bowl fuel line and carb bowl there usually is quite a bit of gas waiting to be burned. If you were on a decent incline it would be different though

Return to “Farmall Cub”