This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Engine Block Fitting

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dthompso
Zip Code: 75503

Re: Cub Engine Block Fitting

Postby Dthompso » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:50 am

Mine screwed in and was leaking so that was why I removed the fitting. Wasn’t sure what it was until it came out.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby indy61 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:55 am

The block casting date of 5 4 V indicates a 1951. I think the engine has been replaced, perhaps from a power unit.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:40 pm

As indy61 said, a V date code means 1951, while your serial number is for a '55 Lo-Boy. I am also not sure how to interpret your "stamped block # is 35574R4". Are you saying that an original cast in part number was ground off and this number stamped in to replace it? A 5 digit "R" part number is unusual. The Cubs did have several six digit "R" numbers that started with "3557". It could be a number for some power unit or industrial part that isn't listed in an agricultural parts catalog. What is the engine number (stamped directly into the engine block near the carburetor)?

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609

Postby tnestell » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:38 pm

Jim Becker wrote:As indy61 said, a V date code means 1951, while your serial number is for a '55 Lo-Boy. I am also not sure how to interpret your "stamped block # is 35574R4". Are you saying that an original cast in part number was ground off and this number stamped in to replace it? A 5 digit "R" part number is unusual. The Cubs did have several six digit "R" numbers that started with "3557". It could be a number for some power unit or industrial part that isn't listed in an agricultural parts catalog. What is the engine number (stamped directly into the engine block near the carburetor)?

On my engine, just above the oil pan is a stamped 355741R6. Just below the valve cover is stamped 60CU2U2013344X and just behind the carb. It was hard to read because the hydraulic lines are in front.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:16 pm

Jim Becker wrote:. . . "stamped block # is 35574R4". . . . A 5 digit "R" part number is unusual. The Cubs did have several six digit "R" numbers that started with "3557". It could be a number for some power unit or industrial part that isn't listed in an agricultural parts catalog. . . .

tnestell wrote:On my engine, just above the oil pan is a stamped 355741R6. Just below the valve cover is stamped 60CU2U2013344X and just behind the carb. It was hard to read because the hydraulic lines are in front.

That makes sense. The final digit "1" was probably lost in amidst the inverted "4" punching error. That number (a bare engine block) isn't going to show up in parts lists because replacement blocks are always an assembly with another part number. (I should have thought about that earlier.)

Return to “Farmall Cub”