This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Looks like I need a heavier duty grill screen

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44236
Tractors Owned: 48 FCub
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Looks like I need a heavier duty grill screen

Postby lyle11 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:27 pm

I recently started mowing with a 55 Lowboy which I really like after mowing with an FCub for 15 years. My property has some hilly spots so it feels more stable, plus I can get under lower tree branches now. After perhaps 20 total hours of mowing with this Lowboy, I mowed up to a small spruce tree and saw the tree snap back after I backed up from it so I knew the tractor snagged and released a branch.

After I got done I saw what happened. A small dead branch penetrated the grill screen all the way to the radiator. It appears to have contacted one of the vertical cooling tubes then slid off between two of them. I’m just glad it didn’t pierce it. It has an original IH radiator that has a plate from a shop in Canton OH so it’s been worked on at some point.

The grill screen was hardware cloth from Lowe’s. I’ve dented the early style mesh grill a couple of times and it bends but doesn’t break and easily bends back into shape.

I know there are numerous threads on grills and screen materials. I’m just sharing my experience that buying inexpensive hardware cloth doesn’t provide much resistance to an object. The grill also seems to get a lot more chaff behind it to blow out than the flat grill.

I have an 11 bar grill on another Lowboy that I just play with and keep looking pretty. Looks like that grill would not only look nice but would be more resistant to a small obstacle like a branch but I don’t really want to spend that kind of money when I already have two 4 bar grills.
5C66A4BF-F51B-4A9B-8797-2054D93C55AD.jpeg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Looks like I need a heavier duty grill screen

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:46 pm

I had a radiator punctured by a stick, while using the loader to pile brush. I bought some expanded steel mesh on Amazon, that I installed behind the grill, to protect it. Much stronger than hardware cloth. Expensive, but cheaper than a radiator!

Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:33 pm

Ouch!

For instances like this I made up a slogan years ago......

Branches down low, gotta go......
Branches outa the way can stay another day!

At that height they would probably be easy to get with the chainsaw!
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:15 pm

I don't think you need a heavier screen I think you need armor plating. All kidding aside, I have thought about making a grill out of used hammer mill screen.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:43 pm

SamsFarm wrote:Ouch!

This was about a 10’ tall spruce tree with branches all the way to the ground so it’s not really an option to remove all the lower branches. Live branches are flexible but the dead ones aren’t and I didn’t see this one. I pushed the nose of the Cub into what I thought were flexible evergreen branches. Kind of off topic, but many blue spruces in this area (NW Wisconsin) seem to have a lot of lower branches dying with minimal overall tree growth and the trees look unhealthy. Odd because I have yet to see a tree on my property die after at least 10 years observing this but branches on the lower 1/3 are dead or half dead which ruins the look of the tree. Probably some fungus.

I mow roughly 4 acres on an 80 acre property. My mowing area is irregular and spans almost 1/4 mile in length next to brushy woods. And the trees and brush are in an old pasture that grows faster than I could keep up with. So, that’s a good slogan to abide by, but for me it’ll be a lot less work to get tougher material for my grill. I’m not fond of the appearance of the original flat style grill but, like I said in my original post, it does the job.

A grill guard might deflect the branches or, they might come right through if they’re long enough. I’m not out mowing recklessly, but I like to mow my field close to the woods or the brush will keep encroaching on my field. So, I’m sure this will probably happen again.
Last edited by lyle11 on Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:49 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I don't think you need a heavier screen I think you need armor plating. All kidding aside, I have thought about making a grill out of used hammer mill screen.

I don’t even know what hammer mill screen is. But, the last 2 Cubs I bought both had home made grill screens made out of the heavy metal material that consists of what looks like thin flat straps with diamond shaped openings. Kind of like you’d see on a heavy duty shelf that could support heavy stuff. I wanted to get back to a factory Cub grill and threw these in the trash, but maybe they were onto something.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:47 pm

lyle11 wrote:
SamsFarm wrote:Ouch!

This was about a 10’ tall spruce tree with branches all the way to the ground so it’s not really an option to remove all the lower branches. Live branches are flexible but the dead ones aren’t and I didn’t see this one. I pushed the noise of the Cub into what I thought were flexible evergreen branches. Kind of off topic, but many blue spruces in this area (NW Wisconsin) seem to have a lot of lower branches dying with minimal overall tree growth and the trees look unhealthy. Odd because I have yet to see a tree on my property die after at least 10 years observing this but branches on the lower 1/3 are dead or half dead which ruins the look of the tree. Probably some fungus.

I mow roughly 4 acres on an 80 acre property. My mowing area is irregular and spans almost 1/4 mile in length next to brushy woods. And the trees and brush are in an old pasture that grows faster than I could keep up with. So, that’s a good slogan to abide by, but for me it’ll be a lot less work to get tougher material for my grill. I’m not fond of the appearance of the original flat style grill but, like I said in my original post, it does the job.

A grill guard might deflect the branches or, they might come right through if they’re long enough. I’m not out mowing recklessly, but I like to mow my field close to the woods or the brush will keep encroaching on my field. So, I’m sure this will probably happen again.

To keep from loosening my field a little each year by pinching in each year due to branch growth, every few years I take my chainsaw on a stick as I call it, which is my pole saw. I keep the center piece into it which makes it was out 7 to 8ft tall. I cut all the branches off the edge of the field as far up as that can reach. Which for me being 6'2" tall makes it about a good 10 to 15 foot of clear mowing space. Branches don't hit me in the face and it looks better. I just leave them on the ground and run them back over with the bush hog. Bush hog behind my Yanmar , not the Farmall.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:11 am

https://extension.psu.edu/blue-spruce-diseases

There is no “known” cure for either of these diseases. They will eventually kill the entire tree. The best course of action is to remove the tree to delay spread to other, non-infected trees.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

CharlieK
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40165

Postby CharlieK » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:55 am

thanks Don for that info on blue spruce trees
get er done; life is good

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:22 am

I got a pole chain saw and a hay wagon just for this. I pull the hay wagon to an area and use it as a platform and trim branches and move it forward. Lossing a radiator is one thing losing an eye is something else.

Blue spruce do not do well in SE PA either. They last a while then die.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:11 pm

Thanks Don for the information on the blue spruce diseases. I’d say 9 out of 10 look diseased so it’s too late to start cutting one down to save others. This is an old family property and my sister went crazy planting blue spruces. You used to be able to see 3/4 mile to the north until she blocked the view with these trees. I’d rather see the crop fields off in the distance than a bunch of spruces so the faster they die the better.

Good information on tree pruning. My problem isn’t head height face slapping branches. It’s brush growing along the edge that is Cub grill height or these spruce with low dead branches. I just need to get a stronger grill. The 4 bar looks to be the worst if you encounter a branch because rather than slide off it gets snagged by the grill bars. I might be best based on my usage to install the old style grill.

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:26 pm

The 55 Lo-Boy would of had an 11 bar grille. The 4 bar came in 59 I think.
I would just try to be more careful around the trees.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:47 pm

Fasten some expanded steel like Lyle suggested on the outside of the 4 bar and attach with wire or wire ties. The bars will support the expanded steel.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Return to “Farmall Cub”