Touch Control Hydraulic fluid??

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Touch Control Hydraulic fluid??

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:47 am

I'm absolutely SURE I'm overthinking this!! :lol:

I have 5 cubs, and am trying to find a good fluid that will continue to be made, is reasonably priced, and willbe available for a long time. I probably do tend to change fluids more often than necessary, and at times might need to top off fluid in a tractor, so I DON'T want to MIX hydraulic fluids.

As I service my cubs going forward, like the one in my garage now, I want to switch over to THE hydraulic oil I can stick to. All the comments regarding current quality of oils vs 70 years ago, have pretty much convinced me to just go with the most consistently accessible brand that does say that it meets HYTRAN specs....and one I DON'T have to pay shipping (or drive a long way) to buy!

Right now, down to TSC, Walmart or the more expensive NAPA... :? time for my 2nd cup of coffee!!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:08 am

I'm about to head out...but was just thinking...ALWAYS a dangerous situation!

I'm sure we've all experienced a situation where a food item we have enjoyed for years, suddenly isn't made anymore. (Be patient...this does relate to this post! :lol: )

Well, I lived in San Francisco for about 12 years, and loved Del Monte sweet gerkins. When I moved to NC, no one sold them. I tried a couple other brands, but they just weren't the same. So, being the stubborn person I am, I ordered them shipped, 6 jars to the box. That lasted me a long time but on about my 3rd shipment, when it arrived soaked in pickle juice from a broken jar, I told myself I was being stupid. I found a local pickle that was ALMOST as good, and readily available, and just got used to it!!

So that is what I will do here. I'll save the HyTran I have left to service the tractors (4 of 5) that will still have it in the TC, and switch over the one that is split now to a new brand. Whenever I totally drain another tractor, it will also get switched over, until I have them all using the same hydraulic fluid.

Of course, being the pessimist I can be, that it probably when the fluid I ended up switching to gets discontinued!!! :shock: :? :lol:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:14 am

Dale Finch wrote:I'm absolutely SURE I'm overthinking this!! :lol:

I have 5 cubs, and am trying to find a good fluid that will continue to be made, is reasonably priced, and willbe available for a long time. I probably do tend to change fluids more often than necessary, and at times might need to top off fluid in a tractor, so I DON'T want to MIX hydraulic fluids.

As I service my cubs going forward, like the one in my garage now, I want to switch over to THE hydraulic oil I can stick to. All the comments regarding current quality of oils vs 70 years ago, have pretty much convinced me to just go with the most consistently accessible brand that does say that it meets HYTRAN specs....and one I DON'T have to pay shipping (or drive a long way) to buy!

Right now, down to TSC, Walmart or the more expensive NAPA... :? time for my 2nd cup of coffee!!

I believe in Hy-Tran. That said, when I was working on a Super A touch control this winter, I realized I didn't have any Hy-Tran on hand. Thanks to the bone-headed decisions of CNH, my closest caseIH dealer is over an hour away. So I got a bucket of oil from the NAPA that is a mile away from home. This is what I ended up with: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NHF85405

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:27 am

Dale Finch wrote:. . . Whenever I totally drain another tractor, it will also get switched over, until I have them all using the same hydraulic fluid. . . .

Of course, unless you take it apart t totally clear it out, you will still have about 20% whatever you drained out.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:39 pm

Super A, that is EXACTLY what I just brought home.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NHF85405

I had made one last stop to check out Walmart, and they had NO hydraulic fluid in stock. NAPA had just received a pallet of their oil. It states it meets HyTran & MS-1209 specs, so I grabbed it. The best parts are that it was only about $56, I was able to get it then & there, I'm pretty sure it will be available in the future, and now most of my supplies are from one, LOCAL place!!

CORRECTION
I was taking photos, and it isn't the same as what Super A posted. In fact, it's not even listed on their website. With my luck, it will be a "test batch", with one pallet only, and won't be continued!!! :shock: Did I already mention I can be rather pessimistic??!! I have it now, and I'm using it!! :lol:

20210823_144750_copy_567x1008.jpg

20210823_144814_copy_1008x567.jpg

Antifreeze was on sale, so grabbed a couple jugs. When the engine oil filters, #1153, go on sale (in the fall?), I'll buy a few of those. Already bought the gear oil last week, so I should be set for a while. Frustration OVER! Decision, good or bad, is made! :D
20210823_144846_copy_567x1008.jpg

20210823_144905_copy_1008x567.jpg

20210823_144855_copy_567x1008.jpg

20210823_145030_copy_1008x567.jpg

And Jim, you are right about residual fluid in the hyd system, but I figure if I'm swapping over, I can hand crank the engine with the hydraulic manifold disconnected at the pump to get most out. Best I can do! :?
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Don B.
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 25314
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub (looks pretty)
1951 Cub (does the work)
1952 Cub (sold)

Postby Don B. » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:12 pm

Coincidence that the hydraulic oil bucket is the same color as a pickle? Hmmm... I think not.
Circle of Safety

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:50 pm

Dale Finch wrote:I'm absolutely SURE I'm overthinking this!! :lol:

I haven't owned tractors for decades like all these other guys but in the 13 years I have had a tractor TSC has made that same fluid , the bucket even looks the exact same. I see now there is a new bucket design but I would bet 99% certainty it's the same or a better fluid. I think your making the right choice, but only you can make that decision.

Walmart I believe is more money, and often around me is out of stock and or doesn't carry 5 gals.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:06 pm

Dale Finch wrote:I'm about to head out...but was just thinking...ALWAYS a dangerous situation!

I'm sure we've all experienced a situation where a food item we have enjoyed for years, suddenly isn't made anymore. (Be patient...this does relate to this post! :lol: )

Well, I lived in San Francisco for about 12 years, and loved Del Monte sweet gerkins. When I moved to NC, no one sold them. I tried a couple other brands, but they just weren't the same. So, being the stubborn person I am, I ordered them shipped, 6 jars to the box. That lasted me a long time but on about my 3rd shipment, when it arrived soaked in pickle juice from a broken jar, I told myself I was being stupid. I found a local pickle that was ALMOST as good, and readily available, and just got used to it!!

So that is what I will do here. I'll save the HyTran I have left to service the tractors (4 of 5) that will still have it in the TC, and switch over the one that is split now to a new brand. Whenever I totally drain another tractor, it will also get switched over, until I have them all using the same hydraulic fluid.

Of course, being the pessimist I can be, that it probably when the fluid I ended up switching to gets discontinued!!! :shock: :? :lol:

I'll go out on a limb and will probably be pushed off and tarred and feathered while laying on the ground, for saying this. But I really don't think it will matter of there is a little HyTran in the resivoirs or you too up with it. All these fluids will mix. Think if they didn't.... Your a farmer with a big 30 row planter or whatever they use these days. It's got remotes to raise and lower it, you own a green and red tractor. Or you borrowed it from a neighbor...can be any thing that runs off remotes. You have HyTran or whatever the newest flavor of red fluid in your case tractor, you run the planter it's running off fluid from your sump. You park it then pull it next time with your green tractor or your son or neighbor borrows it and pulls it with his green tractor that has hy guard in the sump. As soon as he lifts or lowers it your HyTran fluid is now in his sump. They park it, you hhol back up to it, now hygaurd is in your sump, not much maybe half a gallon or a gallon what ever the cylinders and lines hold but it still mixes. If fluids were not compatible like so may say these tractors would either be torn up from lack of lube, would have jelly or crystals all in the system or whatever someone would lead you to believe happens if you mix them. If that happened there would be some seriously angry farmers and probably lots of lawsuits.

I get that some are purists and won't mix oils . I'm not so much. I will change oil with two different partial jugs if there the same weight. My vehicles that don't have variable valve timing where viscosity is important to function I will even mix weights of oils. And when I change tractor fluid there is always a little bit that won't come out that mixes with the new brand. Am I recommending anyone else do so, or that it will not cause a problem, no I'm not saying that just saying that I have never had an oil relates failure or a problem doing so. Just some anecdotal stories to help ease your mind. It really doesn't bother me what you buy just trying to help you make the I formed decision you want to make. I have been doing the exact same thing with what 2 stroke oil in switching to for my OPE myself. In reality it probably matters very little but we seem like the same type to over think things. I decided to go with Echo Red Armor. Ordered a gallon of it. Should last me about 4 years. I have heard good things about it over the years.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:58 am

Jim Becker wrote:Viscosity Oil Company made (makes?) Hy-Tran for IH and Case-IH.

MaDe is the correct tense.

Earlier this year (2021) CNH officially broke off its long-time association with Viscosity oil in favor of Shell. Viscosity retained the rights to the formulations of all the lubrication they produced for CaseIH and NewHolland.

Presumably due to intense dealer push-back, CNH allowed dealers to choose between selling the Shell products or the Viscosity products. Unfortunately none of the dealers in my area chose Viscosity.

If you want "real" Hy-Tran you get the Viscosity brand. It will be called "Ultraction" I believe, because CNH retained the Hy-Tran trademark.

The new product is "Hy-Tran Premium" produced by Shell. It does not smell like Hy-Tran because they had to start from scratch with a totally new formulation. I've no doubt that it's a quality product, just different. I bought 10 gallons of it and so far no issues. In fact it made one tractor's hydraulic system quiet down, though to be fair maybe that was just because it was 2 gallons low on oil.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:01 pm

ScottyD'sdad wrote:Not many years ago, you'd be tarred and feathered, for making a statement like that, on this forum. I always used the TSC fluid, but didn't dare to mention it on the forum.

Ed

I think you're being overly dramatic here, LOL...

A Farmall Cub does not have anything in its hydraulic system that needs the additves of modern Hy-Tran. It's a simple, closed loop, open center system with a gear pump. No exotic piston pumps, wet clutches or hydrostatic transmissions involved.

The TSC premium tractor transmission fluid is just fine for this application. The only reason I'd say you NEED real Hy-Tran is if you are sharing implements between your Cub and your new Magnum 310 CVT.