This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Another cub for my retirement years

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Another cub for my retirement years

Postby Glen » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:50 pm

Hi,
I guess this Cub has not been used for years, but before using a Shop Vac or similar vacuum in the gas tank, I would check carefully that there is no gas in the bottom of the tank, or gas smell in the tank.

They have said before on here to not use a vacuum in the gas tank, the gas fumes can build up in the vacuum, and sparks made in the vacuum's motor can cause an explosion. :)

Dirtdoc74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 47037

Postby Dirtdoc74 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:11 pm

That sounds like words of wisdoms. Thank you for passing that on.

Pap
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 38401
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub ( Err Err )
I could not say tractor when I was 2 years old so I called it Err Err.

I loved this tractor then and I still love it now.

Postby Pap » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:28 am

I would think that if the gas cap has been left off.

And the birds have been living in there that the gas fumes would have been gone for a while.

If not, them are some bad to the bone birds.
Are We Having Fun Yet ? :D
'47 cub ( Err Err )

Dirtdoc74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!

Postby Dirtdoc74 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:10 am

I’m a little doubtful birds were in there. But the grandchildren of PO sure made sure there was enough straw for one. I can’t smell good any more, but will see if there are any fumes.

Dirtdoc74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!

Postby Dirtdoc74 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:01 pm

Nuts, a good photo opportunity missed. Needed to grade out about 2 tons of pea gravel at church. Made one cub set up as belly blade, the other set up as push blade. Worked really good and I didn’t get a strained neck from looking behind at a box blade. I did put home made side shields on the belly blade setup. That held the gravel to the blade made spreading easier and no windrows.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:33 am

Dirtdoc74 wrote:Nuts, a good photo opportunity missed. Needed to grade out about 2 tons of pea gravel at church. Made one cub set up as belly blade, the other set up as push blade. Worked really good and I didn’t get a strained neck from looking behind at a box blade. I did put home made side shields on the belly blade setup. That held the gravel to the blade made spreading easier and no windrows.

Good to hear. :tractor:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Dirtdoc74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!

Postby Dirtdoc74 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:09 pm

The cub that died while mowing grass....lives. It started and running a smidge rough, but it runs. Lots of blow by at dip stick. I believe the advice now is to work it hard.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:04 pm

Hi,
Good that it runs again. :)

Yes, make it do some work, and see if the blowby coming out the breather gets less.
If it doesn't, they say on here to put Seafoam oil additive in the engine oil.
They sell it at auto parts stores.

One of the experts on here said to use the additive for 2 oil change periods.
The 1955 Cub operator's manual says to change the oil every 150 hours of use.
If the rings are wornout, the seafoam won't help much.

If the engine runs rough, it might be missing on 1 cylinder. A spark plug might not be firing, sometimes they quit and don't fire. A spark checking tool, that you touch on the top of the spark plug, or the spark plug wire at the top of the spark plug, while the engine is running, will probably show if they are firing.
Auto parts stores used to sell the tool, it is like a fat pencil.
Or the spark plugs may be dirty, or the wrong gap.
If you put oil in the cylinders, it may have fouled the spark plugs. :)

Dirtdoc74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!

Postby Dirtdoc74 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:58 pm

I cleaned all the spark plugs after oil got blew out. I have sea foam on the shelf, but it might take me 10 years to put 150 hours on it. Lol. I haven’t checked the crank tube that goes to the air cleaner. It could be plugged forcing all venting out the oil tube.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:05 pm

Dirtdoc74 wrote:I cleaned all the spark plugs after oil got blew out. I have sea foam on the shelf, but it might take me 10 years to put 150 hours on it. Lol. I haven’t checked the crank tube that goes to the air cleaner. It could be plugged forcing all venting out the oil tube.

I was thinking that when I read the oil change interval in the manual is 150 hours :lol: I was thinking it would probably take most of us years and years, like you said 10 years to put that many hours on the tractor! Unless someone still mows every week or two with one that's a lot of hours on one of these tractors !! My more modern by just a few decades Yanmar that I use to bush hog and plant food plots I might put max 20 to 25 hours a year on it! This tractor is a play tractor for a garden it will get just a few hours a year. I would think most folks uses for a tractor like this would be similar. Can't imagine to many folks tending 20 to 50 acres of tobacco with one these days.

Dirtdoc74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!

Postby Dirtdoc74 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:34 pm

In two days I’m suppose to look at more cubs. It’s been postponed for 10 weeks now by owner, so I in a wait and see mode.

Dirtdoc74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!

Postby Dirtdoc74 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:11 pm

That turned into a scam. The joke is on me. Gentleman at the address had no clue about what I was talking about. Oh well, no money lost except for fuel. But I'm a little wiser.