This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Exhausting discussion?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Exhausting discussion?

Postby Patbretagne » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:43 am

As one does at times, I was flicking through the Cub parts list the other evening, just waiting for the winter to pass and fine weather herald the grass cutting and cub playing season. Unfortunately since that wishful evening, the weather has turned more wintry than ever and the woodpile is gradually diminishing.
You see life is not as easy over here in mid-Finistere as in the mid-west over “there”. One can’t just lazily wander through BinderBooks parts catalogue for Farmall Cub , International Cub and Lo-boy tractors, we have to have the “Catalogue pieces Tracteurs Farmall Cub Mc Cormick International, fabriqués aux Etats Unis et en France” alongside as well. The French edition shows the USA build along with its French counterpart. As you will see from a recent post by Mike of French cub fame, at the start, cub sales in France were fed from imported tractors until a factory was in production here in France.
There are differences, carb Solex for the French build, so it’s no good looking in binder books, lights, dynamo, distributor points, do I need to go on?
One difference that I found interesting and I would like to share with you is the Exhaust system.
Simple you say, sticking out of the bonnet (capot fr, hood us) or underslung (horizontal in fr). Nothing difficult about that!
Not quite as simple as it may look, according to the books.
In the French book there are two “échappement” (exhaust) listed one is vertical that is through the hood, for FCUBM 501 to 18500, then just underneath there is the horizontal underslung version listed for FCUBM 185000 and + (US). Then on the next page the “silencieux” (silencer or muffler) are listed with the same numbering formula.

Sooooo, could this be the Cub-Grail of truth that in fact horizontal took over from vertical after a certain date-machine number????? That should cause some discussion!!
Then we look at the Binder list, there is no mention that underslung took the place of vertical after a certain serial number. But that the part number changed for tractors 248124 and below and for 248125 and above. Would this perhaps be at the time that the hydraulic system came in and the pipe had to be different to cope with the hyd pipework?

For the French horizontal you will see that the pipe shape seems to differ from that of it’s American brother and that the muffler is fixed vertically to a bracket rather than horizontally in US.
To aid our faithful readers in their quest for the “Truth” I enclose copies of the relevant pages from the two books.
Now that you are thoroughly bored stiff you can go back to the forum and select another subject that has more draw-power.
Pat
PS Sorry about the lousy rendering of the pages, file size upload etc.

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:32 am

Hey Pat...VERY INTERESTING pages! :wink: It would seem that IH (U.S.A.) sent a whole bunch of verticle mufflers to France to be used as French horizontal (#6 in your French sheet) ones! :wink: With so many French Vineyard Cubs in use, the low slung, horizontal exhaust system would have been more practical to use than a verticle system.

B.T.W...Your Cub Christmas/New Year Card was BEAUTIFUL!!! THANK YOU so much! :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:25 am

Oh Jeez Pat, now you opened that can of worms.

For US built Cubs, all through serial 185,000 had a verticle exhaust. At 185,001 (1954) they were all changed to underslung (terminology from Parts Catalog). There must have been some complaints about the underslung exhaust as the verticle was added back as an option, don't know when but certainly by '57. Some vestiges of this remain in the Parts Catalog. For example, the spark arrestor requires a verticle exhaust (probably one of the reasons for the underslung complaint). The arrestor is listed as an option in '57 sales brochures but remains in the Parts Catalog listing as 185,000 and below. This is what you are seeing in the French Parts Catalog for the US built tractors. The verticle exhaust remained an option through the end of production.

The exhaust pipe changed at 248,125, no doubt because that was the serial number of the engine changes, including the manifold outlet changing from 1" to 1 1/4". This required addition of a pipe bushing before the elbow was screwed in. The pipe was probably reshaped a bit to compensate for a slightly relocated elbow. The hydraulic pipes had been present long before the first underslung muffler was added.

The French underslung exhaust pipe was routed quite differently from the US version. If you see one of each, the differences are obvious. It was no doubt designed in France, separately from the US version. I have no idea whether the muffler used with the French design was the same as any of the US mufflers. The original US mufflers were different for verticle and underslung.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Uh oh

Postby allenlook » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:51 pm

Uh oh. When I put the underslung exhaust on my Cub, I just took the vertical muffler and put it on the underslung pipe.

It seems to work OK, but now I suspect that internal pressure could build up behind the conflabulator and blow me clean off the seat! Either that, or the next time I get the Cub underwater up to the top of the seat spring the integrated snorkel might fail and fill the engine with water!
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:07 pm

Not if you use high speed muffler bearings! :wink: :D
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

liveoak415
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby liveoak415 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:49 pm

Might be a good place to try some dielectric grease.

phantom
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby phantom » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:05 am

you couldn't do that anyhow, 'cause the manifold belt would slip before you were in water up to the sclurn.
phantom

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:03 am

glad this conversation is taking place in the winter time so my boots were handy. It is defintely getting to deep for shoes in here.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”