This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub died while mowing the yard

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub died while mowing the yard

Postby tst » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:59 pm

pin can get rusted and cannot get past the bushings that it sits in, sometimes you need to hit them hard, just has the two pinch bolts holding it

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:40 pm

Hi,
The front axle pivot has 2 bushings, 1 bushing at each end of the pin, pressed in the hole the pin goes in.
If the pin has worn areas, it might be holding the pin in, they could sort of lock the pin in from moving endways. I don't know if this is the problem, it's just a possibility.
Hammer it out, like tst said above, if needed. Try to use a pin just slightly smaller than the pivot pin, if you can find that.

When you get the pin out, and the axle off the tractor, you could look at the pin where it wears in the bushings and see if it is in good condition. If it is rough, it needs smoothing.
I would try the pin in the axle pivot hole while the axle is off the Cub, and see if the pin fits good, or if the bushings are worn.
TM Tractor at the bottom of the page has new bushings, if needed.
Below is their listing.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/st/262fp.htm

There is supposed to be a grease fitting on the center pivot, be sure it is there, and not broken.

Check and see if the axle was put in facing the right way, the grease fitting goes to the rear, and faces down.
Someone on here in the past found his Cub front axle had been put in backwards. The steering is probably affected to install the front axle backwards.

Be sure to put the 2 washers in again when you put it together, 1 washer goes near each end of the pin.

Below are pages from the Cub parts manual showing the front axle, the adjustable front axle is shown on the right side of the 1st page. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 014-02.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 014-03.jpg

Dirtdoc74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 47037

Postby Dirtdoc74 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:28 pm

Now it appears that someone had welded this tube back together in its past. And welded the pin to the tube. Hence... it won’t slide through it. There is so much old grease I’m afraid I’d set it on fire if I use a torch. Gonna knock the dust off the sawzal, buy about 20 blades and cut er in two. I love a challenge.

Dirtdoc74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!

Postby Dirtdoc74 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:23 pm

Thanks for the reply about “hitting it hard”. Since the ends appear to be cast iron, I’m afraid of breaking them off or cracking them and being in worst shape. I’d much rather buy a new pin than break those ears, then need new bolster. I did give it a few solid wacks and the pin didn’t budge a bit. You guys definitely need pictures to look at. Family is getting together tomorrow so I’ll get my granddaughter to help me.

Dirtdoc74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!

Postby Dirtdoc74 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:46 pm

20210906_163909.jpg
Busted front axle
20210906_163736.jpg
Bigger than normal carb
20210906_163812.jpg
Busted front axle

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:52 pm

In your first photo, is the gap a broken weld or a saw cut, to the right of the axle tube? Your carburetor is a Zenith.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Dirtdoc74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!

Postby Dirtdoc74 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:08 pm

That gap is my attempt to grind the welded axle from the shaft. So far, no difference.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:04 pm

From what I can see in the picture, the weld you are sawing through is supposed to be there. The pin you were trying to remove is inside the smaller tube that is/was welded to the larger axle tube. I don't think you have any other choice now than to saw the rest of the way through. Even then, to get the pieces out you will need to remove at least one half of the pin. Your best option may be to make a second cut at the other side of the axle tube. It doesn't need to be tight to the axle, no need to saw through the weld.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:55 pm

Hi,
Below are pics from TM Tractor of the Cub front axle center tube. The 2 pieces of it for the pivot pin are supposed to be welded onto the tube.
The 1st pic is a top view.
The 2nd pic is a bottom view, showing the welds, and the grease fitting.
The 3rd pic is the pivot pin. The 2 cuts in the pin are where the 2 bolts go, the cuts keep the pin from moving.
All that was needed was to drive the pin out of the axle tube.

The end of the pin is visible from the front of the Cub, or the rear of the pin.
The 4th pic shows where the end of the pivot pin is, it is the round thing by the bolt and nut.
Hammer it out to the rear, hitting it from the front, after removing the 2 bolts, which you did.
Use a pin slightly smaller than the IH pin in the pivot, to hammer the pin out.
Attachments
Cub axle 7.jpg
Cub axle 8.jpg
Cub axle 9.jpg
1.jpg
Last edited by Glen on Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dirtdoc74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!

Postby Dirtdoc74 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:06 pm

Thanks for the advice and pics. I have new used axle tube ready to install. I should have been a dancer.... one step forward, two steps back, cha cha cha...lol. Frustration can cause a man to do strange things.

Dirtdoc74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!

Postby Dirtdoc74 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:22 pm

Got a new pin to go into axle, just need to finish cutting out old and I'll have it rolling again...... now if it would run.
Ohhhhh life is good. Always a challenge.

Dirtdoc74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!

Postby Dirtdoc74 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:55 pm

Broke axle finally out
Attachments
20210908_204612.jpg
20210908_204612.jpg

Dirtdoc74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!

Postby Dirtdoc74 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:57 pm

Wheels back under it. Ready to roll-just doesn't run...yet.
Attachments
20210908_202913.jpg

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:55 am

Hi,
Good that you are making progress.

I don't know if you are done with the front axle yet, but usually both sides are adjusted to the same number of holes out of the center tube.

The way you have it in the pic, the tie rods are adjusted to the wrong lengths. They telescope too, like the axle.
Turn the steering wheel so the arm in the center is pointing straight ahead, like in my 4th pic in my post above. Yours is to the left some in the pic.
When it is straight ahead, you can see where the wheels are pointing.

If you are leaving the axle set where it is in the pic, the right tie rod has to go shorter, and the left tie rod has to go longer.
There are 5 notches in the tie rod rods, like there are 5 holes for the pins on the axle extensions.
The bolts in the tie rod clamps go through the notches in the tie rod rods.

The tie rod settings have to match the axle settings, so the steering works right, and the front wheels point straight ahead.

Sometimes the tie rods are rusted and hard to change the length of, or they won't move.
If yours won't move it would be easier to set the axle extensions to match the tie rods.
I think the tie rods are set to match the 2nd hole out on both sides, it's hard to be sure from the pic.
That is 1 hole out from the narrowest position.

After you set the tie rods to the right lengths, or they match the width of the axle, the front wheel toe in needs checking.
The Cub owner's manual tells how to do that.

Below are pics from TM Tractor of the adjustable tie rods, showing the 5 notches in the rod. :)
Attachments
Cub tie rod.jpg

Dirtdoc74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!

Postby Dirtdoc74 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:44 am

Thanks for the info. I put it where p.o. had it set. One tie rod has a bend in it so maybe it was adjusted to function. A spare tie rod came with it so he must have been planning on replacing it. One day at a time.

Return to “Farmall Cub”