Just about ready to fire up restoration

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Command52
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 19954

Just about ready to fire up restoration

Postby Command52 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:38 pm

Finally 2 years later i am ready to start up my restored cub this weekend The engine is completely rebuilt . My question what weight oil and brand oil would you put in this new rebuild .Also the transmission and final drives have all new bearings bushings ect What oil would you use in the rear and final drives Thank You Billy

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Just about ready to fire up restoration

Postby Eugene » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:06 pm

Prime the oil pump. Repeat.

Engine oil, your choice. Most folks on this site use the same oil brand and weight that they have on hand and use in their machines.

Transmission and finals. You can use hytran, a hydraulic oil, in the transmission. 80-90 weight gear oil in the finals. I use 80-90 weight gear oil in the transmission.
I have an excuse. CRS.

getitrunning
Zip Code: 37881
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949
super A
Yanmar 1500D
Belarus 525
Ford 4000 1962 Diesel
Gravely L

Postby getitrunning » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:57 pm

ive been reading recently that rather than going by the old charts in manuals for engine oil that 15-40 Diesel engine oil is just about a perfect compromise and it is very high quality, like rotella and Delo, works in cub for the widest varying temperatures.
fore transmission, real axle housings and steering gear housing 80w-90, GL-5, gear oil is the stuff
tough control unit as far as I know should be only filled with HyGaurd from Case dealer, not a place to use generic oil from what I understand about it

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:58 pm

For engine oil an old school mechanic told me to use conventional 30w for break-in oil and than go to full synthetic. He said he was unsure of synthetic oil at first but now believes it is far superior.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:30 pm

Hi,
You didn't say the year of your Cub.

The Cub operator's manuals since the late 1950's have said to use Hy-Tran fluid in the transmissions, final drives, and Touch Controls of Cubs. It is Case IH Hy-Tran fluid nowadays.
They also say you can use 90 Wt gear oil in the transmissions and final drives, instead of Hy-Tran, if you want.

For Cub serial number 248125 and after, the Longstripe Cubs, which began in mid 1975, the manual says to use only Hy-Tran fluid in the trans, final drives, and Touch Control. :)