This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

carb inlet threads boogered again

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dennnis79
10+ Years
10+ Years

carb inlet threads boogered again

Postby dennnis79 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:26 pm

Hi folks.

I used Lurker Carl's rebuild instructions last year to create new inlet threads. They held great for a whole year of grading, mowing and dragging the harrow (breaking up the horse apples :) ). But the last time out she started flooding out and I traced it down to a pontoon in the carb full of fuel.

After installing a new pontoon, the inlet threads that I had re-created using Carl's method, stripped out way too easy. Should I do the JB weld thing again, and have to perhaps do it every time I take the carb off, or is it possible to heli-coil? Are the walls thick enough for a heli-coil?

I'd like to aviod having to buy another carb.

Thanks.
dennis
"Hey, I didn't get a harumpf outta that guy!"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:52 pm

Do the JB weld thing again. I have one that held for a couple install/remove cycles then failed. I did it over and it has been OK for a while again. Don't know how many cycles this will be good for. I am not sure there is enough material for helicoil.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:07 pm

Several of us have carbs repaired with heli-coils.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Joe in Pa.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18707

Postby Joe in Pa. » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:22 pm

I had the same..Switched to a flexible gas line and after using the JB Weld I installed an additional fitting at the carb. now when I have to remove the gas line I use the fitting and don't have to worry about stripping the "homemade threads"in the carb, Its held for several years and several removals.
"58" cub with fast hitch,rollover plows,fast hitch harrow,cultivators,snowplow,planter,sidedresser and a few other assorted goodies. :tractor:

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:21 pm

Joe in Pa. wrote:I had the same..Switched to a flexible gas line and after using the JB Weld I installed an additional fitting at the carb. now when I have to remove the gas line I use the fitting and don't have to worry about stripping the "homemade threads"in the carb, Its held for several years and several removals.

If it works for you that's great, but it is a solution many of us would not recommend for safety reasons. A variation would be to use J.B. Weld to permanently attach an adapter that would allow using a steel line. Flexible lines + manifolds + fuel tanks have accounted for a few "crispy critters".
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

dennnis79
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dennnis79 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:34 pm

I'm definitely not gonna go back to the copper and rubber contraption that he PO had on there.

I think I'll check my Pop's fastener bins to see if there's a spare heli-coil, otherwise I'll try the JB again, since I always have spare epoxy lying around.
dennis

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub

Postby Kodiak » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:28 pm

Dennis,
I just did what George mentioned, I JB'ed a fitting into the carb body, then attached my new steel gas line. I think it will last a while (long while) before I need to think about repairing it again. In the mean time I can keep an eye out for another carb or the upper half.
This line was made for a underslung exhaust.
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

dennnis79
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dennnis79 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:27 am

Well Pop didn't have any helicoil inserts and I was looking at it and it looks to me like a bottoming tap would be required.

I'll do the JB thing again, since that will be cheaper. And hopefully I won't have to take the carb off again for a while. The whole fuel system is basically brand new, from the coated gas tank, to the new sediment bowl, to the steel lines, to the new pontoon in the float bowl and a complete IH carb kit.

I'll get to it right after church.

Thanks for the suggestions.
dennis

Return to “Farmall Cub”