This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Shtuck tranny

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
footloose64
10+ Years
10+ Years

Shtuck tranny

Postby footloose64 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:13 am

So I took Miss Tillie out to plow snow Tuesday morning before work, and since the snow was wet and heavy, I wanted to use 2nd gear to get some extra oommff. When I tried to let out the clutch, she wouldn't move and tried to stall her engine. 3rd gear the same, but 1st and reverse OK. Later that day after work, I wanted to clean up the slush and, coming out of her shelter, Miss Tillie's 2nd gear worked again, but only that first time, then bound up again. Back to 1st and reverse until done. What kind of TLC is Miss Tillie asking for?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:19 am

Remove the top cover of your transmission and look for a bent / broken shifting fork. Your transmission is trying to function in two gears at the same time. Also check the condition of the ball on the end of the shift lever.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:30 pm

Yup,

Somehow the "ball" end of the shifter lever is "outside the pocket" created by the two shifter forks. Exactly why that happened can be a number of things.

It is possible that the ball end, and the shift forks could both be worn enough to allow the ball to exit the pocket, in the right circumstances.

When I got my brand new shifter lever, the ball end was entirely different looking from my two previous ones. I presumed that the old ones were worn terribly.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Same thing

Postby allenlook » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:45 pm

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago - plowing a little bit in 2nd on my long driveway and got the Cub into reverse and 2nd or 3rd at the same time - it would die out immediately of course.

Took the top off the tranny and used a screwdriver and some persuasion to get the shifter forks both lined up with each other and in their center positions, and then put the shifter cover/lever back on and everything has been fine since.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:10 pm

Remember that old stuck in two gears trick from when my brother Bob and I owned old clunkers as teen agers. The ones with shift on the steering wheel would do strange things too as they got older and you had wear in the linkage.
When we were first married I had it happen. Bev jumped out of the car and said that linkage jumped out again. Reached under the hood gave a yank and fixed it. I was "I didn't know girls knew that stuff" I got "hey my father had his own station didn't he" She was the 3rd daughter and hung out at the station. For more reasons than 1 that girl is a keeper. Only 50 years so far.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:03 am

Nice to have another Cub owner nearby.

Sounds like the wise ones have you on the right track.

Welcome to the board.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03574
eBay ID: farmallkid48
Skype Name: farmall_kid
Tractors Owned: 41 B
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
61 and 63 Cub Cadet Originals
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:17 pm

First, Welcome as the others have said.

When we first restored my cub, it did that same thing that you are having trouble with, It happened for quite some time, and the shifter cover was taken off, and eventually it just went away completly, ti stll does it once a year or so, but then it straightens out.

Johnny

footloose64
10+ Years
10+ Years

Shtuck tranny

Postby footloose64 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:09 pm

Thanx for all your replies. I finally got to taking the cover off the tranny. Found a broken shifting fork, but not for the 2nd-3rd gears, but for the 1st- reverse gears.

So now where do I go about finding a new one? Would a Case IH dealer be able to get one?

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03574
eBay ID: farmallkid48
Skype Name: farmall_kid
Tractors Owned: 41 B
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
61 and 63 Cub Cadet Originals
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:07 pm

You might give the links at the bottom of the page a try, Ralph's Cub, TM Tractor, or JP Tractor Salvage, one or all of them could probably help you.

Johnny

Return to “Farmall Cub”