This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

58 cub lift control

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ds7766
Zip Code: 27235

58 cub lift control

Postby ds7766 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:54 pm

Having trouble with lift,lift works fine,had a shaft seal leaking on pump.I rebuilt pump,ran tractor and noticed cylinder link was broke and system was under load all the time,and had control shaft leak.I replaced seal and link on cylinder.I took off end head and replaced screen,cleaned the orficed filter and its filter screen looked at valves and check valves,didn't take bottom plate off.Put back together all worked fine but still under pressure load,you can turn tractor off and start back up under no load until you move the control lever and it's under load all the time again until you turn tractor off...any ideas...can't be lever adjustment, orfice was free of clog

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ds7766

Re: 58 cub lift control

Postby ds7766 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:19 pm

Jim Becker,do you still have the 1979 cub 253666? and do you have any idea on this hydraulic problem?

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby tst » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:36 pm

must be a valve in the TC stuck, bad or clogged with debris more than likely

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:52 pm

I agree with tst. It seems like a sticking valve, pressure regulator valve is a prime suspect. Have you recleaned the orifice and orifice screen since you completed reassembly? It isn't unusual for them to pick up some trash as soon as the system is back together. Besides, it is a pretty easy first thing to check. I imagine a blown head gasket could do something like this, depending on where it blows. Are you using Hy-Tran or a compatible? I suspect a fluid with the wrong viscosity could cause something like this.

Are you Danny? I still have 253666.

ds7766

Postby ds7766 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:47 am

i am Danny,uncle died 2 years back with pancreatic cancer.i am using a brand X universal fluid but list Hytran as a replacement.would it be a mistake to remove the instrument panel and remove head with unit in place or remove the hood again and pull the whole unit... have new seals on control shaft and cylinder shaft and new boots on other end.I put a new head gasket on when doing the cylinder replacement.........has a newer S.N. surfaced than the tractor you have?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:30 pm

Sorry to hear you lost your uncle to pancreatic cancer. I really enjoyed talking with him when we met. My father died of pancreatic cancer. It is really a tough disease and not much could be done for it.

Your fluid should be okay. In your situation, I would probably try to leave the hood/tank and remove the panel to get to the plug for the orifice then to remove the head. Since you have been through much of the hydraulic system, you probably have one specific thing causing the problem. Removing the head probably will give you the access you need to fix it. If not, THEN remove the head and pull the unit. The biggest down side to removing the panel is the wiring. Once the panel is unbolted, stiff wiring (actually stiff insulation) will make it difficult to move it out of the way. If the insulation is too fragile, you may have wiring trouble after putting things back. Then you will probably still have to pull the hood to fix the wiring. So you may want to consider the condition of the wiring before you decide whether pull the hood or the panel.

A couple years ago, the hydraulics on 253666 quit working. It stayed at low pressure. I started by removing the panel to access the orifice plug. The orifice and screen were fine. Next I removed the head and found that gasket blown. Put in a new gasket and it has been okay since.

Several higher numbered Cubs have shown up.
Here is what I recall:
253668 - No notes, but believe I have seen it at Red Power Roundups. The owner has since died. I'm not sure where it is now.
Beyond that, there is a database of Cub serial numbers that have been reported. It is here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87029
It lists:
253672 - Was reported still in use at a truck garden in Ohio a dozen years ago.
253684 - I don't recall details on this one. This should be the latest one that still exists as the only one after it was reportedly lost in a barn fire.

ds7766

Postby ds7766 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:09 pm

Thanks for replying,i went ahead and pulled head off by removing panel only......orfice and screen were ok,pulled every valve out, ok bypass valve was not stuck,reused gasket,didn't tare..didn't have an hour on it.............acted the same...pump and control housing gets hot quick..not going to live like that + burns alot of gas that way...just not releaving pressure if you touch the lever

ds7766

Postby ds7766 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:45 pm

Update,i went back in again and found a small relief valve stuck in rear of the relief valve,bought a super magnet to remove a section in the rear with o ring on it.... the small relief valve was in that part...i got it freed up but ordered the plastic cap that mates it so i am waiting on parts.i priced a new orfice tube and it was 212.00 so i decieded i didn't need that part at all....i read the troubleshooting section on this site and looked harder at the pieces it said would cause it..hoping this will fix it...thanks for both of ya"lls input.Jim the sad part with my uncle, as others,whey made him do diabetic classes and when they found for sure it was pancreatic he lasted 3weeks

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:08 pm

Hopefully you found the problem. When it comes to needing a $200+ part, you can start looking for an entire used replacement unit. We'll be looking for another update when you have it working.

In my dad's case, they found and treated the cancer with results that seemed hopeful for a while but ultimately didn't do it. It spanned most of a year. Quality of life just continued to go down through the whole time.

ds7766

Postby ds7766 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:38 pm

Well good news,the lift worked right now,as i said before the small metal valve was stuck and i freed that and replaced the 2 white plastic valves because of some ware..lift was some slower,needed to be, but it now relieves the pressure when it stops where the lever is set.the tractor has a lot more power now that it is not under hydraulic load.....Jim good talking to you,i think the cubs have kept you young...this was not my cub but a good friend's so as usual it needed a lot of parts and work from one end to the other but it beats seeing one crushed..around 300.00 in parts but my labour was free so it was worth doing

Return to “Farmall Cub”