This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

My Head is Cracked!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Thx

Postby allenlook » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:15 pm

Thanks DF,

After way too many weeks with the carb rebuild, the steel fuel line manufacturing adventure, and the head replacement, it feels good to hear it "purr" again.

These little tractors are "amazing". They can put up with my amateurish tinkerings and still run!
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby John(videodoc) » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:19 pm

definately congrats, i remember that feeling with basket case. what a feeling 8)

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:40 pm

I'm no math major but the torque value should have been 540 inch pounds :lol:
8)

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Range

Postby allenlook » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:35 am

I went for the high side of the specified range, 45-50 ft. lbs., figuring there are 12 in. lbs. to a ft. lb....

45 ft. lbs. = 540 in. lbs.
50 ft. lbs. = 600 in. lbs.

All I had was a rudimentary beam-style torque wrench. My nice monster digital wrench was loaned out and it took me over a year to get it back, only to find it had been stored at the previous setting, which probably threw off the calibration. :evil:
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

sviennadan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby sviennadan » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:58 pm

I was out pushing snow this morning, and noticed some steam cominfrom around the head at the 2nd spark plug. Looks like I may have a cracked head too. Too *@#% cold out now, with that wind howling, to work on it. Meanwhile I have been recxonditioning my sickle bar, in anticipation of the coming spring...I think Phil saw his shadow, so it's still 6 weeks off.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:17 pm

Congratulations on solving the problem. One thing to keep in mind... warping of the head is greatly overblown. If you would put a few strategically placed dial indicators on the head while torqueing it down, you'd swear it was made of rubber. Unless it has nicks in it from careless handling, surfaceing is usually not necessary. The head is simply too flexible to need it.

Certainly, re-torqueing should be done after it has run a short while. You'll be surprised how much farther you have to go to get back to 45 Ft./Lbs after it has been through a heat cycle.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

How long

Postby allenlook » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:33 pm

SV,

Sorry to hear that :( I figure mine cracked while I was plowing too...

GW,

How long would you say I should give it? Sounds like it should be run for a while, or through a number of warm-up, cool-down cycles?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:38 pm

George:

Certainly, re-torqueing should be done after it has run a short while. You'll be surprised how much farther you have to go to get back to 45 Ft./Lbs after it has been through a heat cycle.

If a little puddle of oil was to appear, say sometime after the 10-hour re-torque was missed -- :!: :roll: :oops: :roll: :!: :?: :?: :?: Dripping oil stopped about 2 seconds after engine shut down... no visible cracks no more leaks... would I be safe to assume I am still ok, or have I just toasted all my work????
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:03 pm

Rudi wrote:George:

If a little puddle of oil was to appear, say sometime after the 10-hour re-torque was missed -- :!: :roll: :oops: :roll: :!: :?: :?: :?: Dripping oil stopped about 2 seconds after engine shut down... no visible cracks no more leaks... would I be safe to assume I am still ok, or have I just toasted all my work????

Rudi,

I don't see how dripping oil would be related to head torque. I also don't see any reason not to re-torque at any time, just to be sure. Let's assume all is right for now. :D It's easier to sleep that way.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:39 pm

George:

As always, THANKS :!: :? :D :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Crack

Postby allenlook » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:17 pm

I bought some AlumiWeld the other day at Harbor Freight. It's supposed to flow at low temperature into cracks and what-not and repair them...

I want to try it with this head, but for the life of me I can't find - for certain - the ends of the hairline crack in the head.

Does anyone have a trick for making that crack stand out, I don't have a supply of ZyGlo in the barn :D :(