This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Condensation with rain cap.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
REP
Zip Code: 32583

Re: Condensation with rain cap.

Postby REP » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:01 pm

halftonstude, thanks for the insight on your experience with moisture. If open weep hole causes messy problem I will keep in mind that you chose to leave yours sealed. Good point about reaching operating temperature. Have only run tractor for a couple of hours, and most of that time has been just sitting running, not driving or working. Sure it has not reached the temperature needed to get rid moisture. Just didn't want build up getting into engine. I just need to run it longer/harder as you said.
Thanks again
Randy

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Magnum
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: Nope
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Magnum » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:33 pm

Eugene wrote:Welcome.

Define moisture; drops, mist, fumes, smell, color, length of time?

It takes a few seconds for the engine and manifold to heat up enough to burn off any condensation.

The rain cap is to prevent rain water from entering the exhaust pipe. Won't prevent condensation.

Exactly my thoughts. I have the same trouble on all my tractors until the exhaust system warms up . just very fine droplets come out not pour out ,

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:15 pm

If the weep hole is blocked, then by all means, open it up, IH put it there for a reason. Let it do it's job. Keeping it blocked will do nothing but block it from letting moisture out.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

halftonstude
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06482

Postby halftonstude » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:40 pm

Well barnyard I understand and agree the factory had it there for a reason, and just because I don’t know the reason doesn’t mean it wasn’t a good reason but... if when I use it, and every time I use it it’s working hard then the exhaust would heat up to keep the water in gaseous form and go out the stack. Kind of like a car, 5 mile trips never heat up the muffler and condensation will collect and rust the muffler out from the inside. Longer commutes prevent that. I don’t use mine in parades (at least not yet - there haven’t been any since COVID) but at that point if I do drive for little fun trips where I know it won’t get hot I will definitely -because there I can see the condensation sitting inside the manifold and raising all sorts of havoc cause it would never get hot enough to get it out. I’ll go look for the photo showing where it is/was. My manifold was full of thick heavy carbon I had to chisel and blast out as well as use a tap to clear the hole for the exhaust pipe. It hadn’t been there for a long time when I got it and didn’t know about it when I cleaned it so it’s still blocked. Time for grasshopper to do some more reading... thank you barnyard-San...
C

halftonstude
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby halftonstude » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:52 pm

Barnyard.. just found your photo from April 27 2017. That hole looks like it’s in the intake tract.... the photo shows the carb gasket facing up.... is that right?
C

Nelson 634
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22958
Tractors Owned: 5 Cubs
1952 100
1960 460 Utility

Postby Nelson 634 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:44 am

[That hole looks like it’s in the intake tract....*]

If that were so one would have an intake leak resulting in a hard to start tractor at best and a will not start at worse. Its in the exhaust side on vertical exhausts to drain condensation from a warm exhaust in cool air. It doesn't make any difference if you run the engine for a long while or a short time you will get condensation. Clean the weep hole out. But don't enlarge it. Barnyard is correct.
Barnyard wrote:If the weep hole is blocked, then by all means, open it up, IH put it there for a reason. Let it do it's job. Keeping it blocked will do nothing but block it from letting moisture out.
Walter

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:54 am

Look a little closer, it's in the exhaust portion and, yes, it needs to be kept open.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:37 pm

Nelson 634 wrote:[That hole looks like it’s in the intake tract....*]

If that were so one would have an intake leak resulting in a hard to start tractor at best and a will not start at worse. Its in the exhaust side on vertical exhausts to drain condensation from a warm exhaust in cool air. It doesn't make any difference if you run the engine for a long while or a short time you will get condensation. Clean the weep hole out. But don't enlarge it. Barnyard is correct.
Barnyard wrote:If the weep hole is blocked, then by all means, open it up, IH put it there for a reason. Let it do it's job. Keeping it blocked will do nothing but block it from letting moisture out.

I was going to say this same thing. Things get condensation just sitting. Think about when it's cold like 30 degrees and then like a 65 degree warm rain comes through that tractor will sweat like an ice cold drink in the summer. This is what happens in the exhaust engine block or any compartment.

Nelson 634
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22958
Tractors Owned: 5 Cubs
1952 100
1960 460 Utility

Postby Nelson 634 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:13 pm

BINGO!
Walter

halftonstude
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby halftonstude » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:30 pm

Ok that hadn’t entered my mind cause mine is in a dehumidifier garage... never even thought of that. Ok time to find a drill. Does it spit on the carb?
C

Return to “Farmall Cub”