This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What threads are on the stearing knuckle

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
kylev
10+ Years
10+ Years

What threads are on the stearing knuckle

Postby kylev » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:41 pm

What threads are on the 2 bolts that hold the ty rod ends to the steering knuckle that comes out the front of the gear box? Not the knuckles on each side. The one that attaches to the main gear in the steering box. There are 2 5/16" bolts that look to be not the original ones that were on it. They have a weird thread pattern so when I went to retap them I messed up and tapped them with 5/16" coarse. Is this ok and will it work to keep the ty rod ends on ?
Down here in cajun country!
Breaux Bridge, La
http://photobucket.com/albums/y235/kylev/Tractor/
1951 Cub Serial #1221xx

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:56 pm

5/16-24 is the correct thread. I would be wary of thightening the bolts after you re-threaded them to 5/16-18...porbably not much meat left. Be careful not to over-thighten them. May be ok for a bit :wink:
8)

Russell F
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38370

Postby Russell F » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:20 pm

They may hold for a while. If they do strip out, you can go back with a 5/16-24 heli-coil insert to make it right. Or if you don't care about right, 5/16-18 heli-coil.

Don't feel bad, at least you chased it with a tap. I've been known to start a course thread bolt into fine threads, or visa-versa, outcome is usually nasty!

Russell

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:24 pm

Donny M wrote:5/16-24 is the correct thread. I would be wary of thightening the bolts after you re-threaded them to 5/16-18...porbably not much meat left. Be careful not to over-thighten them. May be ok for a bit :wink:
8)

Now that a lot of the "meat" has been cut away, it might be a good idea to use longer 5/16 NC bolts and add nuts to the top. It won't look stock, but will be more reliable. Probably 1 1/2 " bolts and cut the extra off.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:21 pm

I second what Mr. George said. That is what ran through my mind as I read through the thread.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

cjpenny89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cjpenny89 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:00 am

drill and re-tap them for a 3/8-24 bolt. I am not sure if there is enough meat on those to tap to that size but I think that is what I would do. that or do what george said. I do not thinkg I would want to be driving around and have a tie rod come loose and the wheel come loose your asking for a trouble from breaking the tractor to breaking you and if you break you you might not be able to get fixed.
Chad

kylev
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kylev » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:01 pm

Does anyone know if I can go up to a 3/8 size? Is there enough meat?

Breaux Bridge, La

1951 Cub Serial #1221xx

kylev
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kylev » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:53 pm

Well after re tapping the threads on the stearing arm I am not 100% happy with it. I tapped to NC instead of NF and now even though a NC 5/16" bolt will fit, it has a little play and I am not sure it will be a a good thing to leave like this. I surely dont want to have to take the front end back down after restoring this cub. I dont want to use heli coil . Should I just order a new stearing arm. I dont think I can tap to the next size because there doesnt seem to be enough meat to do so.

Thanks

Breaux Bridge, La

1951 Cub Serial #1221xx

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:01 pm

Kyle - a helicoil is a good repair. I would not be afraid to use it. However, after re-tapping to a coarse thread as you have already done, it might be too late to use a helicoil.
If you do not want to use a bolt and nut for esthetic reasons, the only recourse is a new steering arm.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”