This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Adjusting Clutch Fingers?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65101

Adjusting Clutch Fingers?

Postby DonMountain » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:31 pm

After installing a new clutch about 2 years ago, I had one of the finger adjustment bolts strip threads in the finger (which apparently did not strip threads), and I replaced it with a hardware store bolt of similar dimensions and appearance since I had no other source for one of these. I took one of the others out and ground the new one to like dimensions and weight to keep the clutch balanced. So, now, after some wear-in, the clutch is starting to vibrate and is not operating without vibration and slip. I took off the mower deck to gain access to the clutch through the inspection cover, and I am now ready to adjust the clutch fingers again, using the method of making a bent measuring rod out of wire and gauging the clutch finger dimension. Has anybody tried a final clutch adjustment by pushing in the clutch so the throw-out-bearing contacts the clutch fingers, and then spun the engine over by hand crank to measure the "vibration" of the bearing from the clutch fingers rocking it? And adjusting the fingers until there is no apparent movement?
1959 International Cub Lo-Boy W/Fast hitch, 59 Woods, dozer blade, plow
1954 Farmall Super C W/Fast hitch, belly dozer blade
1950 Farmall M

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Adjusting Clutch Fingers?

Postby tst » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:35 pm

I use red locktite so they do not come loose, its a common problem

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Adjusting Clutch Fingers?

Postby Glen » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:15 pm

Hi,
You could try it the way that you wrote.
I think if the 3 fingers are at exactly the height of the measuring tool, when you adjust them, it should be good.
The 3 fingers should form a flat surface for the throwout bearing to push on, then you probably feel no vibration in the clutch pedal when the throwout bearing first touches the fingers.
You could look in the hole while someone slowly cranks the engine, good idea to check it.
I would put the brake lock on, when you are under the Cub, if the brakes hold good.

You are probably a clutch expert Don, after repairing yours. :)

Return to “Farmall Cub”