This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Frozen or Broken?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Frozen or Broken?

Postby kinelbor » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:55 am

I got the cub fired up today, was gonna attempt to push some of our snow around. (Yes we did get LOTS of it last 2 days, 2 feet in fields and 3 foot drifts.) I tried to use it but had no power, the throttle was sticking, hence no governer. I barely got back inside becuase it was surging, full RPM to Idle, Full, Idle.... What happened?
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:03 am

Nik,

Check all the govenor linkage.
8)

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Postby kinelbor » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:16 pm

Not sure what happened, its fine now 8)
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:30 pm

Nik:

It is probably called ICE.. or just Cold temps.... we used to refer to em as gremlins... never can pin em down, they appear and just as quickly disappear, usually shortly after your latest meltdown.. :? :shock: :roll: :oops: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:59 pm

Put some gas line antifreez in it. Sounds like ice.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:41 pm

what probabley happened is that you didnt let the engine warm up long engough in friged weather. If you dont let the engine warm up the cold air going through the carb freezes / frost on the inside if the intake just above the carb. Sometimes in below zero weather i have to cover the whole front of the cub with canvas to keep the intake from frosting up. now days i dont even think of going out to when its that cold :wink: :lol: :o
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:59 am

Clark, my solution is the same as yours (stay inside when it's that cold).
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:20 am

Any body ever flown in a light plane is familiar with carburator heat. It's distressing at the least to have an iced up carb while in the air.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:59 am

beaconlight wrote:Any body ever flown in a light plane is familiar with carburator heat. It's distressing at the least to have an iced up carb while in the air.

Bill

Yes indeed!!! I remember well the sight of the two trees I intended to fly between to leave the wings to give my son and I a better chance of survival (there was no clear area to land). Imagine the relief when the ice finally cleared!!! This was in early August, 1970... when one would hardly expect carburetor ice. We were on our way home from the first EAA fly-in at Oshkosh.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:31 pm

I learned about it on a J3 . I had to quit. Kids came along and it was sell the kids or stop flying.

bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:46 pm

Hope you get the bugs out!
In my early motoring days, an old Landrover carb would ice up till no air would go through it and would stifle itself with over fuel.
I seem to remember that it was doing it mainly due to the ignition being too far advanced. I did cure it, sure it was the ign? Worrying in a LR killer in the air!
Fortunately the two wings disn't have to come off in the end George!
Happy new year
Pat

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck

Postby Carm » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:17 pm

Yes, Carb ice can not be any fun...especially in the air. Hmmmm a carb heat mod for the Cubs

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:45 pm

Yopu may remember Mid Finistere etc and the renault, The Choke system is strange it's a solex carb with a separate ventri next to the main where the choke gas and air goes through.
When I finally got it going a couple of weeks ago,(but that as someone said, is another story!) the outside of this tube very quickly iced up , the engine gradually started to choke itself, put warmish fingers on the tube it cleared itself but quickly iced again.

Happy new Year Pat and Noëlle

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:02 pm

As read this I remembered that there were shields around the maniold of some old L Head engines. I wonder if they were to provide Carb Heat. You don't want too much of it or you end up with vapor lock. I haven't seen any of that in years.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:40 pm

beaconlight wrote:As read this I remembered that there were shields around the maniold of some old L Head engines. I wonder if they were to provide Carb Heat. You don't want too much of it or you end up with vapor lock. I haven't seen any of that in years.

Bill

John N. can answer this one better, but there were two different purposes for the muffs... carburetor heat on aircraft, and cabin heat on early autos. Vapor lock wasn't really a problem in applications using gravity feed. In order to have vapor lock, you must first have vacuum created by a fuel pump... causing a lower pressure in the line than atmospheric in the tank. Otherwise the head pressure in the tank will force the vapor on through the needle valve.

Warming the intake air reduces the power because the air is less dense. That's how the carb heat is checked to make sure it is working... by the reduction in RPM when it is applied at pre-flight run-up.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Farmall Cub”