This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New to me Cub - Couple of issues

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
feg7846
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31031
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1969 Cub
1986 Kubota 38

New to me Cub - Couple of issues

Postby feg7846 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:47 pm

Brought home a nice 1969 yellow and white cub yesterday. Runs like a dream and hydraulics work great. It is also 12 volt and positive ground.

Couple of issues: Previous owner told me that if he leaves battery cables on, the coil gets hot even with ignition switch off. Said when he got through using it for the day, that he took battery cables off. I think he may have ignition switch wired wrong.

If I want to change it to negative ground, what is the process. It has a 12 v generator and a voltage regulator. Generator and voltage regulator are working fine, so at this point I do not want to change to an alternator. Has a gauge on it but don't know if it is ammeter or voltmeter. On the left side of the gauge is a D, on the right side is a C. I would assume this is for discharge and charge. When running, the gauge is showing a very good charge.

Is there anything else that you need to know from me in order to help me through this negative ground process?

Thank you, my friends

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New to me Cub - Couple of issues

Postby Glen » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:00 pm

Hi,
Cubs made after mid 1964 are 12 volts negative ground.
Someone changed yours to positive ground, evidently.

You could turn the battery around, and connect it with negative ground, polarize the system, at the voltage regulator, and see if it works.

The battery should be in the battery box so both posts are on the left side, with the positive at the front.
It may have a battery with the posts in the wrong places, if someone bought a different number battery.

If it is an original IH gauge, it is an ammeter, the D means discharge, and the C means charge. I think the highest and lowest marks are 20 amps.

Below is the 1965 Cub operator's manual, the experts on here recommend reading it.
It has a table of contents on page 1. The index begins on page 75.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

Page 25 has a pic of the 12 volt battery in the battery box.
Page 32 tells how to polarize the 12 volt electrical system.
The manual has 6 and 12 volt info, disregard the 6 volt info.

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using it with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in the housing.
There are 3 separate gear housings, with 3 separate oil levels to check, in the rear area of a Cub, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The transmissions in Cubs commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

The air cleaner is an oil bath air cleaner. Dirt that is sucked in settles to the bottom of the oil cup. It should have clean, light motor oil in the oil cup to work right. :)
Last edited by Glen on Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:33 pm

The first thing that I would do is to re-confirm that it is, in fact, set up as positive ground. Then work out the rest of the electrical issues.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:34 pm

feg7846 wrote:Couple of issues: Previous owner told me that if he leaves battery cables on, the coil gets hot even with ignition switch off. Said when he got through using it for the day, that he took battery cables off. I think he may have ignition switch wired wrong.
Easy check.

Roll engine over by hand until the TDC mark lines up with the pointer. Ignition off. Battery connected. Check for battery voltage from either coil terminal to ground.
I have an excuse. CRS.

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:30 pm

FWIW
Years ago, in my ignorant youth, l accidently hooked my cub ( '48) up as neg ground. Couldn't figure out why the battery wouldn`t charge, and why l always had to hand crank it. It was that way for many years. After l learned, l simply swapped it back around. No extra fiddling with the generator or voltage reg. and it's been fine ever since.
Since your tractor was supposed to be neg ground anyway, how about you just swap it around and see what happens before you go extra steps that might not be neccesary.
Maybe others have previous experience with this, but what could it hurt?
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

feg7846
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31031
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1969 Cub
1986 Kubota 38

Postby feg7846 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:15 pm

Is it necessary to swap the wires on the coil when converting to negative ground.

Thanks for all of the support cub owners. This site has helped me a lot.....

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:45 pm

Hi,
Yes the wires at the coil need changing too.

With the negative ground system, the positive wire should come from the ignition switch, or the resistor, if the Cub has a separate resistor in the coil area, and go to the + post on the coil.

The short wire goes from the - post on the coil to the post on the side of the Battery Ignition unit.

I'm not sure if anyone said, if it has an ammeter, the wires need changing to the opposite posts or the ammeter will read backwards. :)

Return to “Farmall Cub”