This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

64 cub restore

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Pops64
Zip Code: 35085
Tractors Owned: 1964 Farmall Cub
2010 New Holland

64 cub restore

Postby Pops64 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:57 pm

Its been a long time since I have viewed this Forum. I'm in process of restoring my dads 64 cub, it was handed down to me. He passed away in September. We both always wanted to restore it but just never got around to doing it. This will be in his honor. I'm sure ill have questions to ask you guys, especially on timing and wiring. My cub knowledge isn't close compared to my dads. I wish I could call him for his guidance. It's a 12v red with white hood. SN 224526J. When it's complete I'll post a photo. Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 64 cub restore

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:01 pm

Welcome to the Forum. Let us know if we can be of any help.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Pops64
2010 New Holland

Postby Pops64 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:26 pm

Thank you.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:17 pm

that is a good one to have, early 64 red and white are kinda rare, good luck

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:31 pm

Welcome, l think it's a great thing you're doing. My condolences about your dad. I'm sure it'll be a great tribute when done.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:24 pm

You’ve got a rare Cub there.
S/N 224401-224703 were the 12V Farmall Cubs. Only 303 made.
Red tractor, white hood. Lots of good posts about these “rare” Cubs.
Looking forward to seeing the progress in it.
Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Pops64
2010 New Holland

Postby Pops64 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:05 pm

Update on my restore. I have it about 80% complete, at least to my standards which are lower than what some of you guys have. I have changed the bearings and seals in the differentials and final drives with new gaskets. Pulled the head and checked the valves and pistons. They all seemed to be good at least to what knowledge I have. Changed all the fluids, added the Volt meter and light switch. But new gasket under the radiator, (really didn't need it but since it was all torn apart why not) rebuild the carb, all new hoses, Put new coil, points, condenser, and painted everything back to the original colors. Put new decals on it, (looks good) I still have to put the lights back on it, (waiting to get sealed lamps) I was thinking about just using LED lights, Still undecided, want be original but the led light are much better. Dad had already put a alternator on it but is wasn't working. I didn't really want to put a generator on it so I purchased a new one wire from Napa to put on, but I need brackets to make it work, My brothers will help me with this tomorrow. They are masters of Iron arts and fabrication. Put new front tires on it also. It cranked right up, but has little miss when I rev the engine, This is where i need your help. Runs smooth as can be a lower idle, but when I advance the throttle it misses or just doesn't appear to be running smooth. I have moved the distributor around some just messing with the timing, moving it counter clock wise back toward the engine all the way it runs the best. Moving it down from that point it get worse and shuts down if i move it more that an inch. I did pull the distributor out when I added the tune up kit. When i had the head pulled, i made sure #1 was TDC, then reinstalled the distributor, I made sure the rotor button pointing at the #1 plug wire. If i remember correctly the tractor was doing this when dad parked a few years ago. The engine compression is good, it was the first thing I checked before I started the restore. 118, 115, 118 and 113. Where else should I look to get it running smooth at higher throttle?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:15 pm

Ignition timing.

I think you are off one tooth when you reinstalled the distributor.

And than your ignition timing procedure is not quite right.

Search function, above right, for instructions.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Pops64
2010 New Holland

Postby Pops64 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:39 pm

Thanks, how should I move it one tooth? Do you mean pull the distributor out and turn it slightly one way or another and reinstall?

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:50 am

Hi,
The Cub owner's manual says to determine number 1 TDC, remove the number 1 spark plug, and put your thumb over the hole, turn the engine until you feel pressure coming out of the hole, then check the timing marks on the front pulley, and slowly turn the engine until the marks are aligned.

Below is a page from the Cub service manual showing the timing marks a 1964 Cub would have. Align mark number 1 in the pic with the pointer. Maybe you knew this already.
They are talking about other subjects on the page, use only the pic, and words under it.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 001-43.jpg

Check the rotor position, it should be pointed to the upper right, where the number 1 spark plug wire post should be.
If after doing the above, the rotor points to the wrong position, you will need to remove the 2 bolts and clips holding the distributor to the base. Then pull the distributor out of the base, until the gears are free, then turn the shaft and rotor until it is pointed to the number 1 position on the cap, put the distributor in again, and put the clips and bolts in again.
When it is out, you could check the gear for condition, clean it if needed, and put some grease on the teeth.
When putting it in, the distributor is originally turned so the small post on the side of it is facing to the right. Then number 1 on the cap is at the upper right.

The Cub service manual says use a timing light to set the timing. It should be set so the number 1 mark in the pic above aligns with the pointer at slow idle speed, 500 RPM.

When the timing is set right, if it still runs bad, the coil could be bad, and making a weak spark, a sort of common problem.
You could do a spark test. Remove the center ignition wire from the distributor cap, and hold it by the insulation with the end about 1/4" from a bare place on the engine. Turn the ignition to on, and run the starter, the spark should jump about 1/4", and be strong and blue. A yellow spark is weak, and the engine may not run, or run right.
Have the battery fully charged for the test.
A bad coil could be why it ran bad in the past, but it needs testing to know, if it doesn't run normally after setting the timing. :)

BSR
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BSR » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:20 am

Heres 1 that (( tst )) Form member did a nut bolt restoration job on. Its better than new!!!
Attachments
FB_IMG_1595018981391-270x152.jpg
FB_IMG_1595018981391-270x152.jpg (29.2 KiB) Viewed 334 times

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:31 am

Just one other thing to check, the guys are probably right about timing being a bit off. But you should also check the idle air mixture screw. It is on top of the IH carb, angled in toward the throat. A good starting point is 1 1/2 turns out, bottom it only with light pressure or you will mess up the seating surfaces. It should idle well with no black smoke. Then using your hand, open the carb butterfly (using the linkage) very quickly. The governor will fight you, but the engine should rev up with no hesitation or stumble. Adjust the screw until you get it the best you can, The screw is controlling air flow, not gas, so "in" is richer, "out" is leaner. If that screw makes no difference in how the engine runs, then your small idle passageways are plugged in the carburetor body.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:41 am

I use these for the sealed beam 12-volt lights. https://www.larsenlights.com/par-36-flu ... lood-light. Close to original but they give you a lot of light.

Did you check the governor to carb linkage and adjust it per the manual? Also, adjust the valves. These two are usually missed but make for a complete tune-up in my opinion.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:38 am

Check the ignition timing with a timing light, low idle, then high idle, before you remove and reinstall the distributor. This will tell you if the ignition timing is correct and that the mechanical advance is working.

Also, check the Operator's Manual for lubrication locations. Ignition, under the rotor is a felt tab that requires a drop of oil. This lubricates the advance mechinism.

A tip. Mark the location of the #1 spark plug tower on the distributor base. When installing the distributor; distributor rotation centered, rotor pointing at the mark. Then check the location of the points rubbing block and the cam lobe. Rotate the distributor slightly/just barely counter clockwise, then back slightly. Points should the slightly opening and closing.

It may take several trys to get the distributor timing set to the engine. Once that happens you need to static time the ignition to the engine. Engine starts and runs, timing light for final adjustment.

Check the point's gap. .020.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Pops64
2010 New Holland

Postby Pops64 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:45 pm

Thanks everyone, the advice has helped me u understand the timing a little better. I have it running a little better now, I’m still tinkering with it until I get it just right.

Return to “Farmall Cub”