This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Question for the pros

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AlanPCUBS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Question for the pros

Postby AlanPCUBS » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:13 pm

On my 49 I am still having problems getting her going in third gear I have to slip the clutch pretty good to get her going . All the other gears its works great, but in third if I let the clutch out normally it stalls. You all think fuel problem maybe ? has new valve and settiment bowl and new zenith carb on it. any sugestions on what I could be checking would be greatly appreciated dont like working clutch like that. Thanks again Alan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:16 pm

Alan - I would make sure the governor is responding correctly. Sounds like it might be binding up or have some play in it.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:31 am

Lack of power: Lots of possibilities. Anything dealing with compression, ignition and fuel or a combination of more than one item.

1) Conduct a compression test. Worn out engine.
2) Check the ignition timing.
3) Weak spark. Tune up - check for damaged parts. change out coil.
4) Fuel system - air cleaner - Fuel flow.

Do the easy stuff first. Disconnect the air cleaner. Check the engine timing. Do a complete tune up. Check the fuel flow. Do the compression check. If you have a vacuum gauge conduct the vacuum check (test) - will also tell you if you have a vacuum leak.

If you have one of the Chilton's car repair manuals. The usually contain trouble shooting charts.

Not discounting the govenor - you should notice the governor working when you put a load on the tractor in 1st or 2nd gear.

Paul, You are going to have to work through the problem one item - issue at a time.

Good luck.

Eugene

AlanPCUBS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AlanPCUBS » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:59 am

I just got finished totally overhauling enigine and referbishing this tractor. My gut feeling is its the govenor I did not do a thing to it when I was working the tractor over. Never have really messed with one much. I think it was working ok when the tractor was last running 3 years ago but cant be sure of it. I know there is some play in the cross shaft across the front of the engine that hooks up to the gonenor and throttle of carb. I guess I will pull govenor off and give her a looks over and see if I can fix the play in the shaft and see if I can tell if theres anything else wrong with it. Thank YOu for the edvise Big Dog and Eugene.
[/img]Image

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:31 am

The Zenith carb is a bit of a red flag. Make sure the linkage isn't dragging on the side of the block or binding otherwise. A small amount of bending may be required. Play in the shaft can usually be fixed without removing the governor. Several threads have covered that in the past. You shuold be able to find one with a search. Be sure that the linkage from the governor to carburetor is adjusted per the book (or a previous thread). Removing the govenor is a bit of a pain so don't do it until you have exhausted other possibilities, besides internal problems with it are relatively rare.

One other thought, no Cub is going to leap from a standing start in third gear. Counter to many recommendations, I routinely start in second and shift to third. You may need to adjust your expactations.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:38 am

Allen,

Try this before you open the can of worms with governor timing. The play in the shaft can be eliminated WITHOUT removing the governor.

The shaft can be removed by disconnecting the rod to the carburetor and remove the two bolts holding the bracket to the front cover... then the shaft will pull right out. Clean the shaft well and the casting where it fits into. A Q-tip and acetone will do a good job. Then coat the inside of the casting and the end of the shaft with Loc-Tite and re-assemble. Wait a while for the Loc-Tite to cure and the play should be gone.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

meandmydeere
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49345
Tractors Owned: 1937 John Deere "B"
1941 John Deere "LA"
1947 John Deere "D"
1952 John Deere "B"
1949 John Deere "A"
(2) 1970 John Deere "70" L/G
1971 Case 442 L/G
1953 Farmall Cub
1962 Farmall Cub Lo Boy
w/Wagner loader
assortment of plows. disk,harvestors.

Postby meandmydeere » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:52 am

I agree with Jim on the start in 2nd and shift to 3rd. There is a huge gearing difference betwen 2nd and 3rd gear. 1st and 2nd are the 2 gears you use to work the tractor. 3rd gear is a raod gear.
Mark
My wife say's I never listen to her, or something like that.
Amateur Extra class radio call sign AB8MS

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:39 pm

Nice day in Misouri. 65 degrees on the 27th of Dec. Fresh NOS engine. Readjusted the timing using a timing light - changed from static timing used for first engine start. Still have an antifreeze leak at a plug on the side of the block (with pressure cap on radiator) and an oil leak on the oil filter cap. Had to try out the tractor.

At 1/3 to 1/2 throttle the Cub will start out without slipping the clutch in 3rd gear on level ground.

Eugene

phantom
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby phantom » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:54 pm

imho you would do better with no cap at all than a pressure cap.
phantom

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18972
eBay ID: ohawiseguyeh

Postby awander » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:41 pm

Jim:

You don't have trouble with gears grinding when shifting from 2 to 3 while moving?
Andy Wander
UBE, PA
'52 Farmall Cub "Wile E."
'72 Int'l Cub "Bugs Backhoe"
"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:36 pm

awander wrote:Jim:

You don't have trouble with gears grinding when shifting from 2 to 3 while moving?
With a little practice you learn to do it. Just takes timing.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Tom n
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Tom n » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:36 pm

I'l add 2 cents on the 2nd to 3rd issue. I drive tractor trailers for a living and have done so for about 16 years and this issue comes into play, particularly for learners. In the many jobs i've had the one thing you can believe is i've driven ALOT of tractors. Autocar to Western Star and all points in between. What you NEED to get to is this:The transmission and engine speed have to be the same for you to be in proper road speed, That is, if one of these three speeds is out of whack, you'll stall, grind, or just drop the tranny. Your goal is to get into 3rd from 2nd and we all know unless you can get down a hill you'll have to clutch it to death to get all three of these speeds to match.
Others have stated and it still holds true today,even on $180,000 "Star Cars", Hold high throttle in the next closest gear (in this case 2nd) and quick as a bunny, clutch(or double clutch as it may be) into 3rd while simultaniously lowering the throttle (and yes I know nobody is steering the tractor at this point)while you let out the clutch somewhat slowly.
I suppose I'm not making this sound very easy but keep in mind it would be a little easier without a fixed throttle (as apposed to the one in your pickup). And it takes a little practise. Soon you'll be able to float your gears and notice I didn't say power shift! Theres a difference.
Honestly, dont try to float the gears on a cub. It can and is done but practise the above info instead. Its safer
nothins easy...nothin'!

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18972
eBay ID: ohawiseguyeh

Postby awander » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:52 pm

Tom:

Now I'm more confused than before:

You say to practice the above and you will be able to "float your gears".

then you say "honestly, don't try to float the gears on a Cub...but practice the above info instead."

Do you mean the "above info" as in what you just told me how to do, and called "floating the gears"? or Something else in another message "above"?
Andy Wander

UBE, PA

'52 Farmall Cub "Wile E."

'72 Int'l Cub "Bugs Backhoe"

"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:14 pm

The radiator cap is on loose. I need to remove the plug in the block located behind the oil filter cap - thread sealent and reinstall. It seeps a bit with a 3 lb pressue cap. This is a brand new stock engine. I'm in the process of tightening up seeps.

Perhaps I didn't state it very well. From a dead stop, at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle, level ground, the tractor will start/move forward without slipping the clutch.

Eugene

cjpenny89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cjpenny89 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:25 am

I have 2 cubs a 48 and a 56. the 56 has been giving me fits for about 2-3 years. I had my 48 first and before I had loaded tires and wheel weights it will take off with no problem in 3rd gear at low throtal or high speed throtal. I now have loaded tires and wheels weights on it and if I give it full throtal it will take off with out any problem if I let the clutch out slow.

Now my 56 is a whole different story when it had the wheel weights and loaded tires on it you have to about get off and push it to get going. With just plain old ag tires on it she will go now in 3rd gear. But not like the 48 cub who has never had an engine overhaul. the 56 has been overhauled by the previous owners son who is a aunto mechanic. I just need to work my way through it and check all the above that has been mentioned. I always get started on it but time runs out and I end up just running her in 2nd gear to get the jobs done.
I just think every tractor is so different with there little quirks. I just had high hopes of the 56 cub with a fresh engine. I know there is a problem somewhere.
Chad

Return to “Farmall Cub”