This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wiring Clips

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Gary Puckett
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 30188

Wiring Clips

Postby Gary Puckett » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:10 pm

I am replacing the wiring and battery cables on my 49 Cub. I like to replicate the original as much as possible. I have studied the manuals before asking these questions. I hope I am not asking too many questions that no one is interested in. Some of the original wiring clips are missing.
1. Should there be a clip where the hood support screw is on the right side? The other three screws have nuts welded to the tank.
2. Should three be a clip about midway of the tank over the starter secured with a screw? The lip of the tank has a hole there that looks factory. There are two original clips still welded under the tank.
3. Should the clips under the hood support the battery cable and wiring harness? They do not seem big enough.
4. Does the clip beside the clutch around the battery cable and tail light wire support itself, or bolt to the first bolt under the platform?
Hope this is not too much?
Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Wiring Clips

Postby tst » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:25 pm

yes a clip in the middle of the hood and on the end bolt of the dash, two clips on the floorboard bolts underneath, one around the batt cable on the right side of dash so clutch pedal does not rub it, and one wraps around it where the batt cable goes through on top of the pedal cross shaft

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:27 pm

Hi,
Below are pages from the 1955 Cub operator's manual, showing the wiring routing, and the clip locations.
The 1st page was not in the 1949 operator's manual, I think.
The pic is for the voltage regulator system, but the wiring is routed the same, except for at the generator, and voltage regulator.
The numbers in the pics are explained on the 2nd page.
The center pic shows the battery cable routing, and wiring routing.
You can probably see the pics better on a computer with a screen bigger than a phone has.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-38.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-39.jpg

The battery cable and wiring harness go together in the 4 clips along the underside of the hood, on the right side.
People on here have made clips from strips of sheet metal.
Yes, 1 clip is on the screw that holds the hood onto the dash, at the forward hole, on the right side.
The nuts were originally welded to the clips, I guess, you could hold the nuts in place behind the dash, if you don't weld sheet metal.
The 1/4" hole in the hood above the oil filter uses a clip, and a screw and nut. The screw is like the 4 on the dash originally were.
I measured on my 1956 Cub, and the clips are 3/4" wide.
You will need to guess at the length, and might need to make them more than once to get the right length, it takes some metal to wrap around the cable and wires.
It's made so you bend the 2 clips welded on the hood up around the battery cable and wiring harness some, when they are in place.

Below is a listing at TM Tractor of the clip at the clutch pedal, it has a screw with a nut to hold it onto the dash.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/522fp.htm

Below is a listing for the original style screws for the hood, and the 1 clip. IH didn't use stainless steel ones, as far as I know.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/sp/1420fp.htm

At the starter, the battery cable and the 1 wire go down between the oil filter and the magneto cap, or Battery Ignition unit cap, so the ends of the battery cable and wire are pointing about straight to the right at the starter switch.

Be sure when you are done that the battery cable and light wire don't rub on the clutch pedal. :)

Gary Puckett
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 30188

Postby Gary Puckett » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:38 pm

Thank you both for the replies. Thank you Glen for the detail explanation, links, and effort. It helps and lot and probably others to follow. It is hard to believe how much time you spend assisting people you do not know.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:22 pm

I use the wire plastic conduit that the auto industry uses. It holds all the wires packaged neat. I run the ground wire to the starter area as close as I can put it.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:30 pm

Hi,
Thanks a lot Gary. Sometimes my posts get plenty long. :)

Return to “Farmall Cub”