This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1950 cub generator not charging

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Garyp2
Zip Code: 06489

1950 cub generator not charging

Postby Garyp2 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:12 am

I rebuilt the generator on a 1950 cub tractor, positive ground 6v system. This generator is a Delco Remy 1100501 with 3 brushes but has a Regulator attached. Generator motors fine with the field grounded but does not seem to be charging. If I disconnect the positive ground from the battery it stops running. Battery voltage stays around 6.19 volts. Any ideas how I can test the generator to verify it is charging. I have not adjusted any brushes in the generator after rebuilding.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1950 cub generator not charging

Postby inairam » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:48 am

there is a chart on this post to trouble shoot. http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=97065

My guess is it is the regualtor if the generator motors.

I have one of these and they really come in hady for trouble shooting batteries and charging systems. Good $20-25 tool.
Attachments
tester.jpg
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:03 am

disconnecting the battery while running is a good way to damage the system, regulators do not like that, you say the regulator is attached, are you sure you have a regulator and not a cut out relay?
here are flow charts for both systems, make sure you use the chart for your system as they are different
Attachments
08-Regulatortroubleshootingchartrev.gif
07-Cutouttroubleshootingchartrev1_0.gif

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:07 pm

Hi,
The Delco model number 1100501 generator is what Cubs originally came with beginning at Cub serial number 115403, up through the mid 1950's.
It was used with the voltage regulator system.
IH changed to the voltage regulator system during 1950, at that serial number.
The voltage regulator sits on a plate beside the generator.
The voltage regulators have 4 posts for wires to connect to.

Below is a page from the 1955 Cub operator's manual, showing the voltage regulator system.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2050.jpg

The cutout, or Relay, IH called it was used before that serial number, and was on top of the gen.
The gen was a different model number.
Below is a page from the 1950 Cub operator's manual, showing the Relay system.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2033.jpg

Not sure which system you meant you have.

If your Cub is below 115403, someone could have replaced the gen with the newer number gen.

There are also voltage regulators that are made to go on top of the gen, made by other companies,
IH didn't use them, they are not in the Cub parts manual.

They have said on here to not remove any battery cables from the battery while the engine is running. :)

Garyp2

Postby Garyp2 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:03 pm

Today I again motored the generator with the field grounded and motored fine. I removed the field ground and it appeared based on the sound that the generator motored faster (not sure how faster it should motor). I then checked the the current while the generated motored, around 6.1 amps. Looking at other documentation this appears to be be correct (between 4 and 6 amps). I also notice no response on the ammeter no matter what I did, thought meter was bad, tested in another tractor and did respond. I am leaning towards bad wiring or connection. This is a 1100501 Remy generator with VR mounted on top. Can anyone suggest a wiring diagram for this combination with a 3rd brush? Thanks.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:57 pm

Hi,
A 1100501 generator didn't come from IH with a voltage regulator on top of it, that I know of.
You need to identify which system it is, for wiring it.
The Relay, which IH put on top of the gen, has 3 wire connections, and 1 roll of wiring under the cover.
The voltage regulator has 4 wire connections, and 2 rolls of wiring under the cover.

I guess your Cub has no serial number plate, you said in another post.

The earlier system uses a 4 position charge rate and light switch, which controls the charge rate of the gen, you have to choose if you want High or Low charge by turning the switch. It was before IH used the voltage regulator, which works by itself.
The earlier switch positions are L, low charge, H, high charge, D, dim headlights, B, bright headlights.

The later system uses a 3 position light switch, that is only for the lights.
It's position are O, off, D, dim, B, bright.

Below are pages from the 1950 Cub operator's manual showing the dash for the earlier system, the switches could be in different positions than shown in the bottom pic of the 1st page.
It tells how to use the charge and light switch.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2034.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2035.jpg

Below is a page from the 1955 Cub operator's manual showing the dash, and the light switch for the newer system, in the bottom pic.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2045.jpg

Garyp2

Postby Garyp2 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:54 am

Just want to say thanks for the feedback. I did find a video online that shows a motoring test of a 6v generator. While motoring if the ground on the field winding is removed the generator speed increases at least twice the rpm's. My generator does not go nearly as fast as that when the ground is removed. Can this be a field problem? The test was done after flashing the generator. Thanks again.

Garyp2

Postby Garyp2 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:19 pm

I removed the generator from the tractor and disconnected the regulator from armature and field terminals. I connected my digital voltmeter to the armature post and the other end to the case ground. Used my impact ranch to spin the generator and measured 12 to 18 volts on the meter. Didn't do this for a long period of time. Grounding field terminal did not change the output. As I previously noted the generator is 1100105 Remy for 6v positive ground system which I rebuilt with new armature, field windings, and 3 new brushes. My impact wrench is spec'd at ~7000 RPM with no load. Does this confirm that the generator is putting out the correct voltage? Should I run this same test by adding a load to the output terminal? If a load would be needed what would be a good way to create it? Thanks.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:10 pm

Your test verifies that the generator produces electricity but not much beyond that. A generator should be able to exceed whatever voltage is required for the system to work. But the voltage regulator is what determines the actual output voltage.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:38 am

Garyp2 wrote:Battery voltage stays around 6.19 volts.
If you mean that the battery doesn't discharge when starting and running the tractor, - that would indicate that the generator/regulator are charging the system. 6.19 volts would be a tad low for a good battery, fully charged.

Have you checked the battery condition?

Voltage checked across the battery terminals before starting and after starting the engine?

Jim Becker wrote:The voltage regulator is what determines the actual output voltage.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”