This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

stock or outlaw

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bigdaddy
10+ Years
10+ Years

stock or outlaw

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:31 pm

Howdie to all

I am new to the site and have been enjoying expanding my knowledge about CUBS. Mine is a '48 48702. I've posted a couple times and have gotten a range of responses and problem solving techniques. I've been getting more info through this site than any literature I've read to date. The knowledge and passion on this site is a beautiful thing. This brings me to my question. Iv'e seen lots of pictures and have a good idea what I would like my CUB to look like. However, I see many that are not what would be called "factory". I really liked some of the contrast on the engine by not painting the carb, starter & hoses and painting grey on the manifold. Is this sacraligous or is it OK? Is this being like a teenager?
Maybe there are more outlaws out there because I really liked the contrast on the engine.

thanks for all the help

bigdaddy
'48 CUB 'lil' bigdaddy

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:38 pm

bigdaddy,

You must remember, IT'S YOUR TRACTOR :!: :!: Do what you want but by all means have fun doing it :!:
8)

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:43 pm

bigdaddy - I think you'll find the general consensus here is that "It's your tractor, do what you want." That's not to say that we won't offer our opinions it's just that some fellows like different details.
We don't cotton much to the "correct police". Short of painting your cub John Deere green with yellow wheels no one would likely say too much. Now that on the other hand................................... :?
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck

Postby Carm » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:57 pm

Where are those multi color Cub photos of Georges. Noiw if you want the correct police...see billyandmillie! Backhoe....V6..... I kinda like the idea of a little contrast on the equioment. Like painting non skid on the pedals and even the deck. I also like the unpainted carbs and black starters. Just my opinion.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:59 pm

As has been stated, it's your cub and paint it the way you wnat. When they left the factory everything except the tires and rear rims was red. included spark plug wires, etc. Mine has the starter, generator, and fan shroud black, and carb natural. Ilke the way it loods better.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:05 pm

I actually am a teeager :shock: I don't like painted hoses, clamps or carbs either, but they were all sealed in paint from the factory. :D

Speaking of being a teenager, remember when we would polish out our brass radiators with steel wool... 8) 8)
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:37 pm

Watch it Mike, or you will be telling how long you have been a teenager, and yes I do remember - steel wool to get the paint off and then the brass polish :lol:

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18972
eBay ID: ohawiseguyeh

Postby awander » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:49 pm

Ya' know, Green IS my favorite color, and it IS tempting to paint Wile E. a shade very close to that used on John Deeres.......but then most parts I bought wouldn't match.
Andy Wander
UBE, PA
'52 Farmall Cub "Wile E."
'72 Int'l Cub "Bugs Backhoe"
"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:58 pm

BigDog stated:

We don't cotton much to the "correct police". Short of painting your cub John Deere green with yellow wheels no one would likely say too much.

Funny about that green thing.. although.. many of us seem to have what is very close to JD Yellow on some of our IMPLEMENTS :!: :shock: 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: and then of course...

Some of us -- :shock: :D 8) ya y'all know who we is :!: :idea: :arrow: :lol: :lol: actually have a JD or two hangin around.... mostly for contrast I think :!: :shock:

And as BD has said, and many others in the past... It is your tractor.. paint is exactly the way it tickles your fancy.

I seem to remember that ALL Model-T's came in any colour you wanted as long as that colour was BLACK :!: :roll: :roll: Now you see them all different colours... soooooo... there is the precedent :idea: :!: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:38 am

I am proudly wearing my JD hat that Cecil gave me.... but I used the close out JD yellow from Wally World for the blazes and iron pipes on the property boundries. If I could find an IH dealer that had my family name I would be sporting an IH cap (mmmm did I say Cecil GAVE it to me?)

The yeller ones are a bit different in that I think they painted less of them than the earlier red ones. I left the fuel line, hoses, carb and the screws that attach the hood (which is white) unpainted. I had the generator and regulator out to a shop and he painted them black, I also painted the coil black. The piece that the TC lever and stops are on were not painted. Nor was the band and plate that holds the coil.

The 50 will be red. but not sure HOW red just yet.... the carb and hoses will NOT be painted (just seems wrong).
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:33 am

your tractor do what you want to do as already stated. just technically can't say its "restored". my "basket case" tractor, i installed the $300 emblems, that were black, and i thought they were ugly. so i painted red (letters), not realizing that was the way they were supposed to be. oh well. i think it looks better this way. here is my "custom" 59 loboy emblems

phantom
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby phantom » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:58 am

big daddy,
the po of my cub did some things to it that weren't very nice, like running into something with the left front light, and tossing out a lot of the hood hardware. both the starting rod and choke rods were gone. my arms are not long enough to reach both to start it so i HAD to replace one or the other.
now, the only reason i have a cub is that when i was a kid the town i lived in used one to plow the sidewalks, and when i saw it ....love at first sight. i vowed then and there that one day i would have one of those.

well, i made good on my pledge. i got my cub and have enjoyed playing with it every bit as much as i had imagined despite its appearance. while it is beyond my means to put it into the condition i would like i do the best i can with what i got, keeping in mind that some day someone who has the same mental disorder will be grateful that, out of respect to both the tractor and them, i have done no further harm. actually i look forward to the day when some young guy (or IH girl) catches me out on it and makes me an offer i can't refuse. not for the offer, but for the knowledge that they are feeling the same yiiiiippppeeee that i get every time i take it out.

oh, the short arm problem. i found a choke wire that i could mount under one of the hood bolts. no harm done.

my only advice, treat it with the respect it deserves.
phantom

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:49 am

"It's your tractor....paint it the color that you like."
George Willer
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Bermuda Ken
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 53536
Tractors Owned: Tractors owned past/present:

Farmall.....F-1206, F-806 sn#501.

Cub Cadet...Original(s), 122, Spirit of 76, 1200, 1250, 1450, 782, 782 Diesel (2), 984, 982, CADET 000 LT Prototype.

Postby Bermuda Ken » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:25 pm

Cub-Bud wrote:"It's your tractor....paint it the color that you like."
George Willer

Just do NOT call it "factory restored" if you alter the paint scheme from the one IH used..........the "Correct Police"DO know!!!
Cub Cadets....Engineered for people who know better!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:12 pm

Bermuda Ken wrote:
Cub-Bud wrote:"It's your tractor....paint it the color that you like."
George Willer

Just do NOT call it "factory restored" if you alter the paint scheme from the one IH used..........the "Correct Police"DO know!!!

Ken,

It's possible to know how they came from the factory without becoming a policeman. When asked, we try our best to advise what original was... but do allow ourselves to spend the extra time to do cosmetic things the factory couldn't do for cost reasons. It's more important to please the owner than to please any policeman. :D

Cub owners don't have the problems Ford owners do. By now there are a couple generations of owners that don't know the 9/2N didn't have any red paint on it. :shock:

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Farmall Cub”