This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Touch Control Fluid

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Angelofbrz
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 13865
Tractors Owned: (2) 1952 Farmall Cubs

Touch Control Fluid

Postby Angelofbrz » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:34 pm

My touch controls aren’t working so I took off the bolt where you fill it and couldn’t see any fluid. I haven’t had it long so this is the first I’m looking into it. I’ve seen where people have posted what fluid to use for touch controls but if I want to test it to see if it’ll work when I fill it up, as well as see if it’s leaking anywhere can I use fluid I already have handy? I have Mag 1 AW ISO 32 hydraulic oil in my garage. If I wasn’t leaving it long term could I use that to see if the system is working/leaking? I don’t want to do damage. Thanks all.
Angelo Fabrizi

(2) 1952 Farmall Cubs

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

MiCarl
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 2021 RK25 "Barbie"
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub (SOLD)
1994 Speedex 1631
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Touch Control Fluid

Postby MiCarl » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:46 pm

You need to check the fluid level with the touch control in the lowered position. Hopefully that is where it's stopped.

It's hard to see the fluid if it's right at level because there is a shelf just inside the fill plug. Try sticking a pinky in and around the shelf. See if the end comes back wet. If so you have sufficient fluid.

I would use what you have. I checked and the viscosity is 10W, exactly what IH called for before they came out with Hy-Tran. Someone will be along shortly to tell you I'm wrong and swear your whole tractor will rot into a pile of molten poop if you use it. FWIW, when I first added touch control to my Cub I used 10W30 because I had it and didn't want to buy another fluid for leak testing. It worked just fine.
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:50 pm

Hi,
If the Touch Control arms won't move, you can try putting in fluid, and see if they will move.
The final time you put in fluid, the arms should be in the rear, or down position.
Then fill it until the fluid is up to the filler plug hole.
If the fluid is very low, the system might have air in it, that needs to be removed.

Below is a post I made about filling the system, and removing the air from the system.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106664

Read on the fluid package that you have if it is for use in IH hydraulic systems.
The system holds 3 1/2 Pints of fluid, so it takes less than 2 quarts to fill it.
If the system is empty of fluid, the engine shouldn't be run, the pump has to have fluid for lubrication. :)

Angelofbrz
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 13865
Tractors Owned: (2) 1952 Farmall Cubs

Postby Angelofbrz » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:42 pm

Thanks all. It has been run here and there but just to start it up and make sure it’s running ok. I didn’t know damage could be done to the hydraulics. Hopefully it’ll be fine.
Angelo Fabrizi

(2) 1952 Farmall Cubs

Return to “Farmall Cub”