This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Slow cranking with clutch depressed

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BSFlyBoy
Zip Code: 64029
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub
JD 870
LS M352HC

Slow cranking with clutch depressed

Postby BSFlyBoy » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:56 am

I just purchased my first Cub, it's a 1955 with the hydraulic, a sickle mower and just the draw bar in back. Also, it has a relatively new battery and is still six volts. Trying to get an idea what might be happening. When I start the engine it won't hardly crank if the transmission is in gear and I have the clutch pedal pushed in. I've also notice that the engine seems to slow when I put it into gear.

I'm just starting to go through all of the suggestions from the thread about what to do when you bring home a new Cub, but curious if this is a normal or known issue?

Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Slow cranking with clutch depressed

Postby Rick Spivey » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:03 am

It is normal for the throw-out bearing to place some drag on the engine; however, yours sounds somewhat excessive. Does the driveshaft seem to be spinning even after the clutch is pushed in? You could tell by either grinding gears, or engage the PTO and watch the shaft. If yes, you may have a pilot bushing that is too tight on the shaft, or the shaft may be bowed somewhat. More likely is that the throw-out bearing needs some grease. You can grease it from the hand-hole if it was installed correctly (zerk pointed down), and you might could smear some grease directly on the face of the bearing. Use "cheap" grease that will allow the oil to separate, the bearing is a graphite "puck", and the oil impregnates it over time. Sometimes those bearings get installed without being greased properly, and will wear excessively fast. The graphic should extend about 1/4" beyond the front of the bearing housing unless worn substantially.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

BSFlyBoy
Zip Code: 64029
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub
JD 870
LS M352HC

Postby BSFlyBoy » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:17 am

Thanks for the quick reply, Rick. I get the feeling it has something to do with the throw-out bearing as well. Drive shaft does not seem to keep spinning. When I press the clutch pedal, it takes a couple of second before I can put it in gear, but no related issues when engaging the PTO.
Noobe question, where is the hand-hole that you mentioned?

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:27 am

It is best to put the tractor in neutral and not press the clutch when starting. That way there is no drag.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:36 am

BSFlyBoy wrote:Noobe question, where is the hand-hole that you mentioned?

It is the round opening, about 4 inches In diameter, in the clutch area of the torque tube. It may or may not have a round cover on it.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:39 am

I agree with Barnyard; gear shift in neutral, foot off the clutch. There are those who do depress the clutch, but why take a chance for your foot to slip?

Hand hole that Rick mentioned is seen here on TM Tractor's page (one of our sponsors), looking at the bottom of the clutch housing:

Full catalog of pics on TM's site here: http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gcl/housing_001.htm
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:29 am

BSFlyBoy wrote:. . . it won't hardly crank if the transmission is in gear and I have the clutch pedal pushed in. . . .

What happens if you take the transmission out of gear and have the pedal down? If it is about the same as when it is in gear, it is mostly the throwout bearing. If it turns faster, then it is a clutch that isn't completely disengaging, pilot bushing problem, etc.

Note that the problem may be electrical. You may have a weak battery (needs charging) or undersized battery cables. You may have poor electrical connections at either end of the battery cables or anywhere in the ground connections. It may be cranking slowly regardless of the clutch but is much more obvious with the added drag from the throwout bearing.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:58 am

What the others have said is all true. There is always drag due the Throw-Out-Bearing when the clutch is depressed. Leaving it in Neutral when starting it is what most of us do. However, if your tractor won't crank over with with the clutch depressed, you've got another issue. I'd start by pulling the battery cables and making sure they are clean and tightened securely to the posts. Break the ground cable loose where it attaches to the tractor frame and make sure it it clean and free of paint or rust that may inhibit a good ground. Break the positive battery cable loose at the starter and do the same thing. If that doesn't help it crank over with more authority, you may want to pull the starter off and sand the areas where the starter contacts the bell housing to assure a good ground. Six volt systems work great if you have good heavy cables with good connections and grounds. Another thing to check is the condition of the cables. A lot of the time there is corrosion within the cable itself usually near the battery clamp or the crimped connection at the starter. If your cables show much corrosion, you may want to replace the cables, however the cables need to be heavy gauge, not like the 12 volt cables you'll find at most auto parts stores. Six volt systems use a lower voltage but higher amperage which requires heavy gauge cables. Most of us use welding cable and solder a ring connector on for the starter end and attach the battery clamp to the other end.

Oh yeah, welcome to the best Cub website on the planet!! :hattip:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:09 am

Keep in mind that cranking speed on a Cub was never like what you experience with a late model car. It isn't going to sound like a dentist drill. To help get us on the same page as to what slow cranking is vs. normal, click on this:

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:43 pm

Where'd my post go?

Short version 2nd attempt , maybe it will post and or not get deleted.
Put it in Neutral to start. A good safety habit , and less resistance.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:57 pm

Hi,
It is normal for the engine to turn slower when you push the clutch pedal down when trying to start a Cub, the throwout bearing doesn't turn, it is solid, so it makes some resistance.
Greasing it's grease fitting, and putting a little grease on the front surface of it, like was said above, can help reduce the resistance.

The Cub operator's manual can help you learn about maintenance that the Cub needs.

Below is the 1955 Cub operator's manual. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1.
It shows how Cubs originally looked in it. The lube section begins on page 14.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

This manual shows the electrical system that a 1955 Cub originally had.
Cubs made before mid 1964 originally had 6 volt, positive ground electrical systems.

There is a pic of the clutch showing the hand hole, and the parts inside the clutch housing, on page 45 of the manual. The page tells about setting the clutch pedal free play.
Use a good light to see up in the clutch housing through the hand hole. It also helps if the Cub is inside a building, so you aren't looking up at the bright sky.

The Touch Control fluid talked about in the manual was changed later to Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers.

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using it with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in the housing.
There are 3 separate gear housings, with 3 separate oil levels to check, in the rear area of a Cub, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The transmissions in Cubs commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

There are 2 pages missing from the lubrication section in the 1955 manual above.
Below is the 1950 Cub operator's manual. Look on pages 19, 20 and 21 for the missing info. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:07 am

Waif wrote:Where'd my post go? . . .

If you hit "submit" and there has been another post made since you hit "full editor" or since your previous display of the topic, the site can reply with a warning that there has been another post and give you a chance to edit your comment before it adds your post. If you don't notice the warning and go on to something else, your post will never get added.

You need to look at what is displayed back after you hit "submit" to make sure it took. I don't know if that is what happened to you. I've had it happen to me once in a while.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:59 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
Waif wrote:Where'd my post go? . . .

If you hit "submit" and there has been another post made since you hit "full editor" or since your previous display of the topic, the site can reply with a warning that there has been another post and give you a chance to edit your comment before it adds your post. If you don't notice the warning and go on to something else, your post will never get added.

You need to look at what is displayed back after you hit "submit" to make sure it took. I don't know if that is what happened to you. I've had it happen to me once in a while.

Thank you kind Sir!

I've fumbled some by hitting preview I suspect and then leaving..

My two only actual good ones a year are examples... :lol:

Return to “Farmall Cub”