This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Price Differences

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Price Differences

Postby Merlin » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:03 am

As some of you may know, I have a Cub starter that needs a starter drive. I have bought two semi-locally that didn't work even after being assured that they would. I knew my local IH dealer is the highest priced business that I have ever dealt with, but decided to give them a call. When they said ninety bucks, I nearly dropped the phone. I had to ask him twice if he was talking about the drive or the whole starter. He said "you don't even want to hear the price of a starter". This is the same dealer that charges two hundred forty seven dollars for a set of .030 over rings when Napa down the street charged twenty nine dollars and change for the same rings. Anyway, I have a drive ordered from here on the net now. Does people actually buy things at these prices and not shop around? It seems like anyone savvy enough to operate and/or work on these tractors would be savvy enough to know that there is something wrong with this picture. I wish some of them would call me for some parts.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Carm » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:17 am

You would be surprised what people will pay for parts. Some people only shop aqt the dealers. A friend of mine always went to the dealer for his IH parts....I research his parts for him now. He is 80 and ot computer saavy, so the dealer was a matter of convienience regardless of the price...its all he knew.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:47 am

This may be the reason our local IH dealer failed... not enough were willing to support him charging outrageous prices. He isn't missed, at least by me. :( There ARE other alternatives out there. :D That spiffy new building is still unsold after maybe 4 years. Might be priced too high? :shock:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:46 pm

It's one thing to profit from the customer, another to rob him. What ever did we do before Mr. Gore invented the internet?
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:13 pm

Merlin, did you verify the direction of the spiral on your new drives verses the old one. there is a right and left hand version that look identicl except for the direction fo spin, and the one used in the cub is the less common of the two, so parts palces frequently give out the wrong one.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Dan Robertson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47421
eBay ID: gotowin
Tractors Owned: 55 cub,
74 cub,
Cub Cadet 1515,
Case 580B TLB,
53 Ford Jubilee,
MF 271XE,
JD 3130,
JD gater

Postby Dan Robertson » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:10 pm

My Dad, who passed away in 1985 was the same way about IH Farmall parts. Nothing less for his Cub, no matter what the price. I agree that back then it wasn't as easy to shop around and compare prices as it is today. I, just in the last year or so used the last of the IH oil filter stock pile that Dad had accumulated over the 30 years.
:) Dan Robertson :)

:oops: We all make mistakes :oops:
I try to keep mine to a minimum

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:37 pm

after watching pbs, i started to pay attention to where parts are made a while ago. i stopped going to the dealer for parts when i noticed that even dealer parts that were made overseas were priced alot higher that american aftermarket parts.
john

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Merlin » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:51 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Merlin, did you verify the direction of the spiral on your new drives verses the old one. there is a right and left hand version that look identical except for the direction of spin, and the one used in the cub is the less common of the two, so parts palces frequently give out the wrong one.

The first drive I got was from a friend that sells tractors out in the country. He has 3 Cubs on the lot now, but not any Cub parts except a few laying around his shop. He said one starter laying there was from a Cub but wasn't any good that I could have the drive. Well, when I got it home I discovered it was opposite rotation than mine. Identical except that. The next 2 I bought were new but didn't have the slot (?) on the end and would just spin without engaging. Thats when I went to a reputable site on the computer I've use before and ordered one. It hasn't arrived yet.

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:56 pm

So can you give us the url to the place your ordered from?? I could us one.
Young man for work, old man for advice

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Merlin » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:09 pm

Jim Hudson wrote:So can you give us the url to the place your ordered from?? I could us one.

Jim, I use YT on some of my parts because they seem to make an effort to make it personal. They have even written after the fact to see if I was satisfied with the product.
http://www.ytmag.com/store/parts/index.htm?mm

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:57 pm

Good price.
Starter Drive - For Cub and Lo-Boy 1947-1964, 3230, W9, 390. Starter Drive replaces Delco 1850844 (Part No: 1963642) $29.57
Some one was looking for complete gasket set. Good price on it also.
Complete Gasket Set - Complete Overhaul Gasket Set For Cub Lo-Boy, Cub . For C60 Engine. Includes crankshaft seals. (Part No: GK7560S) $61.17

Parts orders are sent from shipping centers located throughout the United States to maximize part availability and minimize the time it takes for you to receive your order. We ship from the location closest to you whenever possible.

Shipping
Warehouses

CA, IA, MA,
MN, OH, SC,
TN, TX, WA
Young man for work, old man for advice

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:03 am

Not having the luxury of local Case/IH dealer can be an inconvenience, the closest one is 2 states away. But when I was getting HyTran I asked about the strainer for the TC and his price was $55. I think it was $45 from Carter and Gruenwald.

Since there is nobody close by I have been using C&G as my supplier. In more than one instance I have found them to be considerably cheaper (wiring harness and front wheel bearing kit) than any other alternative source.

For 'off the shelf parts' like seals and bearings you can get them at NAPA or a bearing supplier. But I got two very different bearings for the rear axle from NAPA (NTN and Koyo?) although they were both the 'correct' bearing. I was in a hurry or I would have ordered them from C&G and probably gotten Timken for a similar price.

I have even been suprised at how reasonable the prices are for ignition components from C&G.

The other advantage is you will get the RIGHT part for your Cub. In the end that is often the best value.

In a real jam I have gotten parts from the local Cub Cadet dealer. Can't say for sure, but I think he is pretty expensive..... Rattle can Cadet yellow was twice the price of C&G and the IH paint is better.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Merlin » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:59 am

You're right Buzzard Wing. I shouldn't have left out the other great suppliers we have on this board. I've used most of them from time to time and have gotten great service from them all.

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Merlin » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:09 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Merlin, did you verify the direction of the spiral on your new drives verses the old one. there is a right and left hand version that look identicl except for the direction fo spin, and the one used in the cub is the less common of the two, so parts palces frequently give out the wrong one.

Well John, after all the waiting and returning drives, the one I received from YT is the wrong twist also. I didn't notice it until I got it on the tractor and it wouldn't engage. I removed the starter and compared it with the old one and sure enough, the twist is opposite. My luck. LOL.

Return to “Farmall Cub”