French Cub Lights

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Servicetune
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: HU17
Circle of Safety: Y

French Cub Lights

Postby Servicetune » Sat May 30, 2020 3:46 am

My 1956 ffcub has had all the wires to the headlights cut and as they are all the same colour I spent some time yesterday trying to work out what went where!
The French Cubs have a 4 position switch, twin filament (dip & main) headlight bulbs and sidelight bulbs incorporated in the headlights. Also a rear work light and a red tail light which also illuminated the registration plate. Mine also has direction indicators controlled by a “Marchal” Clockwork switch.

Working from the switch I determined that the work light is on at position 4. The sidelights (and tail light) are on at positions 2 & 3 and of the 3 wires heading to the headlights A is live at position 2 & 3, B is live at position 2 and C is live at position 3 & 4.

With position 1 being off, I can guess that position 2 is sidelights and dip beam, position 3 is sidelights and main beam and position 4 is work light and main beam (but no sidelights). Does this sound correct as I have been unable to locate a French wiring diagram?
Andy
Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: French Cub Lights

Postby Jim Becker » Sat May 30, 2020 10:40 am

That all sounds right. The French Cubs had a lighting system very different from the US built tractors. So most of us don't have any first-hand knowledge to help you out.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat May 30, 2020 6:50 pm

Hi,
There is a French Cub Electrical system parts manual at Quick links, at the top left of the page, if you need it.

Click on PDF Manuals, then Farmall Cub, then French Cub. There is a list of different manuals.

It has both USA and French Cubs in the electrical manual, much of it is in French.
If you have French parts, you have to look for the pics of the French parts.
It doesn't show what positions the switch does what in.
I can't post a link to it here.

The French Cub operator's manual might say which lights come on in which switch positions.
I don't know if you have the operator's manual. :)

Servicetune
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Servicetune » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:18 am

783959A9-9675-435C-8F90-AB68BBA5E0EB.jpeg

This is the correct decal for the French Cub light switch. Any French speakers able to decipher what the initials stand for?
Andy
Circle of Safety

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657

Postby john2189 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:41 am

I sent this to my son that lives in France. So we will see what he can find out
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B
'42 Allis B
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:53 am

Off hand, I'd say:
F = O
L/FR = D
C/FR = B
C/P = R
:)

Servicetune
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Servicetune » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:44 pm

john2189 wrote:I sent this to my son that lives in France. So we will see what he can find out

Thanks John. I know the 2 positions marked FR feed the rear red light and also lights at the front. The position marked C/P feeds the rear work light plus some front (possibly main beam) lights. My theory is that L means dip beam, C means main beam, FR are sidelights and P is work light (plough?) F probably means Feux (lights or fire in French) Andy.
Andy
Circle of Safety