This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

spark arrestor ??'s

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
MelonKing
10+ Years
10+ Years

spark arrestor ??'s

Postby MelonKing » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:03 pm

Hello everyone, I have a few questions about the spark arrestor (?) that was on my cub when I bought it. First off, how were these set up from the factory? I've seen a verison with about a 2" long pipe from the manifold going to the arrestor and then a longer pipe coming out of the arrestor through the hood. Mine was set up with a longer pipe coming from the manifold up through the hood and the arrestor at the end with a weather cap on top of the arrestor, I was wondering which is the correct factory verison. Or is it neither?
Thanks again for letting me pick your brains... Dewight
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. It's not where I last left it!

Currently Restoring a '48 CUB

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:03 pm

Probably neither, but anything is possible. Here's a theory... someone may have replaced the engine with one from a power unit. They had a different manifold that had 1 1/4" pipe threads especially to fit the spark arrestor. The '48 tractor had a 1" pipe thread as standard.

You can tell if my theory is correct by checking your engine serial number. If the engine is original to the tractor it's serial number would be slightly higher than the tractor's serial number and with the prefix of FCUBM. If a power unit engine the serial number would have a prefix of IMCUBM.

Here's the location of the serial number:
http://www.antique-tractor.com/CubFAQ/date-code.jpg
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:05 pm

Dewight, My arrester is like the first version you described in your post. I am talking about the arrester on my power-unit, I have never seen one on a Cub tractor.
Then came Bronson

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:20 pm

I don't think I have ever seen a factory installation on a tractor. Here is my guess:

More like your second description. I think the pipe between the manifold and arrester should be whatever length is required so that when it is screwed into the bottom of the arrestor, the overall length is the same as the pipe used without an arrestor. I think we have generally agreed that should be about 17".

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:12 am

I was in Cognac France a week ago and saw 4 cubs, 1 french build and 3 lease lend american ones, the french was underslung and the others (in varying states of repair) had spark arrestors, not looking too closely but they all looked fairly original.

The American Cub that is/was at our local museum (no news at present) which was very very original had a spark arester (or however you spell it John*&²)
Perhaps for some obscure reason those that came over here had them. Sparks onboard the ship whilst loading and unloading???

I managed to get hold of one from this guy's scrap pile whilst I was there. "Just to have one around"!
Best wishes for Christmas and New year,
Pat & Noëlle

PS Yes you are right she was born on 25th December!

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:46 am

Like George & Jim...I have never seen a factory-installed spark arrester on a Cub tractor :? ...just on a very few power units. However, in Pat's 3 cases they may have very well been factory installed or special factory ordered for a specific purpose? :? For the most part, spark arrestors were offered by International for LARGER letter series tractors ( H, M, & W's) that were working in harvesting dry products (Corn, Wheat, etc.). :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

MelonKing
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby MelonKing » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:12 pm

Well, you guys got me thinking so I went out to the garage tonight. The serial# on the engine is FCUBM 54709 (could be a 1 instead of a 7, hard to make out right now). My Cubs serial # is 53508. So from what I got out of Mr. Willer, this should be the correct engine. I also measured the pipe coming from the manifold and it was 1.25 inches in dia. and 17 inches long, to the top of the arrestor not including the piece that the weather cap is attached to. So could this be an original set up from IH? The previous owner said he bought it that way and he owned it for the last 35 years. I also noticed one shown in the manuals. I took some pics but am having a hard time getting them on here, I'll try a little harder if there is any interest... Dewight
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. It's not where I last left it!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:24 pm

Dewight - is that an I.D. diameter or O.D. diameter on the pipe? 17" would be correct for the length. But I believe a 48 cub would have had a 1" I.D. pipe.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

MelonKing
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby MelonKing » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:28 pm

Yeah, that was an O.D. measurement. One inch inside I'd say.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:39 pm

Dewight,

We can agree that your engine seems to be numbered right for an original, so that shoots my theory. Here's another thought... The pipe sounds like the manifold is original too. (the original nominal 1" pipe was actually 1 5/16" O.D.). I think the smallest spark arrestor was made to fit nominal 1 1/4" I.D. pipe. Does yours have a reducing bushing in it?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:35 pm

Repeating that I have never actually seen an original spark arrester on a Cub, so this is just educated guessing.

The parts book gives the appearance that the spark arrester screws right onto a 1" pipe, no bushing in the listing. The arrester was in the very early books, before the power unit came out. To change it for a different input size would only require changing the base, which is no more than a flange that bolts on the bottom. I don't have a parts book for a power unit, which would probably answer whether there was a difference.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:06 pm

I don't know if Rudi ever got around to putting the parts book for the harvester thressher combine I sent him but that is the source of my power unit. The poer unit does have a spark arrester and it is below the hood. It is 175 miles north at the moment so i will not be able to measure it. If rudi posted it is available there or if not perhaps he could look it up.

bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Farmall Cub”