C 22 Mower Drive Pulley

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Gary Puckett
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 30188

C 22 Mower Drive Pulley

Postby Gary Puckett » Sun May 03, 2020 10:29 am

The C 22 mower drive pulley and the PTO shaft both have holes for a pin as most of you know. I have read on a forum that the holes are for a cotter key. It would seem to me that a roll pin would be better for stability. The cotter key would only keep one from loosing the pulley if it became loose. What was the original fastener used? Thanks

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: C 22 Mower Drive Pulley

Postby Barnyard » Sun May 03, 2020 11:05 am

The manual says to use a 3/16x2 1/4 cotter pin.

sickle pulley.JPG
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sun May 03, 2020 11:49 am

Note that the instructions posted by Barnyard also call for a machine bolt. The bolt is intended to clamp the pulley tightly to the PTO shaft. Note that the earliest version of the pulley did not have the bolt. Those were prone to wearing and becoming loose on the shaft. By now, most of the pulleys without the bolt have probably worn past the point of being able to tighten up regardless of the fastener used.

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1948 Allis Chalmers G
1947 Cub
1952 Cub
1940 Farmall H
154 Cub LoBoy

Postby tmays » Sun May 03, 2020 1:33 pm

Reading Jim’s post, I learned something new(and that’s nothing new :lol:). Did not know first ones had no bolt. From the looks of some of the ones with bolts I’ve seen, that folks relied on a pin or cotter key to do most or all of the holding. I’ve seen splines on pulleys so worn there was almost no splines left. And doesn’t take much wear for that pulley to be hard to get tight on the PTO. So when you run across a good pulley, better hold onto it. And tighten that bolt! As far as I’m concerned the cotter key just places the pulley in the right spot on the PTO and keeps pulley from drifting forward or backward
Thomas

Gary Puckett
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 30188

Postby Gary Puckett » Sun May 03, 2020 3:01 pm

Thank you all for the replies. Mine will actually tighten with the machine bolt and now I know what goes in the small hole through the pulley and the shaft. I agree that the cotter pin may be for alignment and to prevent drifting. I have two other pulleys that will not tighten. I have heard of splitting the pulley with a thin grinder blade alway to the center to permit more flexibility. But, I would wonder about safety and cutting the belt.