This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall Cub Hood/fuel tank question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bob39666
Zip Code: 39666

Farmall Cub Hood/fuel tank question

Postby bob39666 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:31 pm

Hey I'm a new cub owner, and I'm doing some troubleshooting and would like to run the tractor with the hood off. My cub is in pretty rough shape, but is the hood and fuel tank supposed to be all one piece or can they separate to access engine components while running. I'm new to cubs, so thank you for your patience.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall Cub Hood/fuel tank question

Postby Slim140 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:32 pm

It's all one piece. You can make a pony tank, search bar upper right "pony tank" you'll get some ideas.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri May 01, 2020 2:25 pm

If you use a rubber hose with the pony tank, the carb inlet threads are 1/2-20. Most hose nipples are on 1/4" pipe thread which will strip it out. You'll need a fitting like this: http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/512fp.htm that you can insert 3-4" of 5/16" brake line into. The rubber gas line can then be used with a hose clamp. Have enough slack to keep the gas line away from the manifold and a possible fire danger.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

bob39666
Zip Code: 39666

Postby bob39666 » Fri May 01, 2020 3:37 pm

Great Ideas. I'll check it out. Thanks for the prompt responses.

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Fri May 01, 2020 9:23 pm

The hood and tank come as one piece. Yes they can be separated with a little work. I have one that way.

Ruralguy57
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 43506
Tractors Owned: International Harvester International Cub Lo Boy & C3 Rotary Mower
Case 60 XT Skid Steer

Postby Ruralguy57 » Tue May 05, 2020 6:43 pm

If you check out my old posting in here you can see the pony tank I installed on my International Harvester Cub Lo-Boy, 1968 vintage. Yellow and White type.

I have run it all last year like that, and mowed for the first time on Sunday with it still attached. I understand until you get the Cub the way you want it or painted or radiator adjusted or spark plugs etc., the list goes on; the idea of a pony tank is a benefit. I painted part of the Cub last year. I plan on putting a 2nd coat on most of the area when it warms up. So for this year, I think I will be running mine with the pony/aux tank. Hope you find a tank that will work. There are a lot of people in here running small tanks and each could offer some value to you.

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Tue May 05, 2020 7:24 pm

Ive been running mine off a pony tank for as long as I’ve had it. I got the tank cleaned and coated.... now I just can’t figure out what intelligent place I put my sediment bowl while I was working on the tank! :roll:

Ruralguy57
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 43506
Tractors Owned: International Harvester International Cub Lo Boy & C3 Rotary Mower
Case 60 XT Skid Steer

Postby Ruralguy57 » Tue May 05, 2020 7:51 pm

My hood and tank have been setting in 1 spot for over a year. It has the sediment bowl still attached. I have to sand and clean and paint the tank white and the front frame yellow. I am 6 of 1 an 1/2 dozen of another trying to figure out do I just hand paint it and say ok or spray it? I was very careful when I was painting all round the engine and other places. It looked real nice for about a week. Then it rained and I mowed all last year and it looks like a working tractor. I never thought of it as a trailer queen. The hand painted look worked for me. I am thinking I will just paint it and re assemble. But I will say the pony tank makes it really simple to work around the top of the tractor. Dealing with spark plugs, coil, radiator hose and the fan and belts, the distributor cap and mine has the electric starting system and not points. I had to change the coil 2 x last year. It is really wild when the running the tractor just stops. Switch out coils and boom it works great. I can see a benefit of running it with a small tank so you can get at the top of the tractor.

Return to “Farmall Cub”