This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

First Farmall Cub owner

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
HolderG
Zip Code: 77656
Tractors Owned: 49 Farmall Cub
New Holland TC 55 DA
Kubota BA 6100

First Farmall Cub owner

Postby HolderG » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:34 pm

Well guys this is my first cub and first post . I bought a 49 cub and have started bringing it back to life . I have converted to 12v , alternator and rewired the tractor. I've got two problems , first thing it will start and idle great (I even got it to open up and drove it around the yard) but now when I try to bring rpm up it just dies. I pulled the big jet out and ran carb cleaner in the hole , then the carb. Drained it and opened the fuel valve back up and same thing happened. Second , the hydralics leaks somewhere under the leather seal ( wanting to know how big of a job is it to work on this) I am in no way a mechanic but have learned a lot by reading yall's posts up and down this forum. Any help would really be appreciated.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Re: First Farmall Cub owner

Postby tmays » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:46 pm

Possible that’s it’s not getting enough fuel. Turn gas on and pull the main jet and check fuel flow. Also possible that float is sticking in carb. Could be a different problem, but that’s a good place to start.

Hydraulic leak is most likely the oring on the control valve rod has failed. The control valve rod is under the small boot. The small rod. It can be changed by pulling that rod out the front of the hydraulic body. Can be a little tedious if you’ve never done it before but not a big deal. You don’t have to pull the hood to do this repair. But check to make sure that’s where the leak is first
Thomas

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:54 pm

Welcome.

Suggest starting with 100% engine tune up; compression tests, ignition timing, valve tappets.

Fuel issue, the engine should sputter then die. If the engine dies immediately, as if someone shut off the ignition switch,look first for an ignition related problem.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:09 pm

In addition to Thomas's suggestions, check the fuel tank for debris blocking the outlet.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:03 pm

Hi,
I'm not sure if you meant you sprayed cleaner in the small hole in the end of the main jet.
They usually recommend on here to run a small wire through the hole.
Below is a pic.

If the Touch Control is leaking at the front of the unit, the Control Valve o ring could be wornout and need replacing.
TM Tractor sells a new o ring, it is a special size, they have said on here.
Below is their listing, there is a pic of where it goes on the page.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hy/674fp.htm

You may have to take the unit off the clutch housing to replace the o ring. The valve may be too long to come out with the unit in place.
Below is a pic from TM Tractor of the front of a Touch Control with the rockshaft removed.
The Control Valve is at the lower right, right in the pic.
Use clean Hy-Tran fluid when putting the valve in.
Someone on here said before to feel around the hole in the unit, and be sure it is smooth, to avoid cutting the new o ring.
Oil the linkage so it works freely.

The unit can have a leak at the piston also, that is in the upper part of the pic.
You have to disassemble the unit to correct a piston leak.

Below is a post I made with info about checking the Touch Control fluid, draining and refilling the system, and removing the air. :)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106664
Attachments
Cub jet.jpg
Cub T C 4.jpg

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:53 am

Looks like you have enough good advice to begin, so I'll just welcome you to the Forum!

Take some time and read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum:

Don't know if you have all the manuals to your Cub, but after your 2nd post on the Forum, you'll have access to the all the PDF Manuals. They are located via "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals". Through that link, you'll be able to download an Owner's Manual (very strongly recommended) and any service manuals that interest you. You'll be able to familiarize yourself with your new-to-you Cub more quickly. Implement Manuals are also available.

We’d encourage you to take the Safety Test located in the Safety Forum: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68084

Might also enjoy reading through this thread (even though it’s for a Cub, much can be applied to any tractor just brought home): What to do with a Cub you just brought home

There are a lot of good threads dealing with Cub repair and maintenance in the How To Forum including working on your Touch Control system and Carb. Located here: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=11

Take some pictures of your tractor and post them, we’d like to see it. Remember, when you have a specific question, start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum and use the Preview button before hitting Submit--it'll show you exactly what your post will look like.

Glad you joined us.

:tractor:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

HolderG
New Holland TC 55 DA
Kubota BA 6100

Postby HolderG » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:12 pm

Thanks guys for the suggestions . I will see what I can do with this and let everyone know what I come up with. Thanks again.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:30 am

Air compressor and blow gun! ---That cleans mine all the time. Take the jet out and blow from all sides. Wire works if thats what you have handy, but make sure you wash the jet out good. Got 1 cub here that is a real problem child plugging up. ---Thats why it was put on the auction!

HolderG
New Holland TC 55 DA
Kubota BA 6100

Postby HolderG » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:06 pm

Well guys one of the problems is solved. It was pieces of rust clogging the valve on bottom of the gas tank. I've cleaned it best I can and put inline filter in the fuel line. (still getting junk out as I go along) Will tackle the hydraulics as I can. Thanks again and I'll keep updating.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:19 pm

Hi,
They have said on here before that if you install an inline gas filter on a Cub, that it has to be for a gravity feed fuel system.
Don't put on a filter for use with a gas pump, it can slow the gas flow, and make the engine not run right. :)

HolderG
New Holland TC 55 DA
Kubota BA 6100

Postby HolderG » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:19 pm

Glen I learned the hard way. Threw the first filter away and put a gravity filter in. But I can't get all the debris out of the tank and it keeps clogging up in the shutoff valve. What would be the best way to get all the debris out of the tank?

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:36 pm

Hi,
One way is to remove the hood and tank, and put in liquid, maybe use diesel, it's safer than gas, slosh it around every direction, and pour it out the filler hole. If you pour it in a clean drain pan, you can see what comes out of the tank.
Keep repeating that until the fluid poured out looks clean.
Look inside it with a light, and see if it looks clean in the tank. :)
Last edited by Glen on Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:11 pm

If the debris is debris, just clean it out like Glen says. If the debris is rust, it will continually make more. You’ll probably want to strip rust out of there either with something like evaporust or muriatic acid. Then you’ll want to re-line the tank with something like Red Kote.
You should find lots of info via search.

Return to “Farmall Cub”