This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Electrical Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
WildFarmall
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28570
Tractors Owned: Uncle Hubert - 1940 Farmall A
Aunt Elsie - 1949 Farmall Cub

Re: Electrical Question

Postby WildFarmall » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:50 am

1949 Farmall Cub with 12 volt batery 3-16-20.jpg

Here is a picture. I am having some trouble downloading pictures from my camera.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:18 am

What does it say on the ignition coil?

With 12 volt system you need either a 12 volt coil with internal resistor or an external ballast resistor.

Can't tell much about the alternator from the photo.

My opinion. But wait until others post their opinion. I would purchase a true single wire alternator. Cost somewhere between $30 and $45-. With a single wire alternator, rewiring the tractor will be much simpler.
I have an excuse. CRS.

WildFarmall
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby WildFarmall » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:28 am

Thanks Eugene. Will do. I was trying not to take the hood off as it is a lot of trouble. I will take a few pics later and post. Have a Drs appointment I must go to early afternoon.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:53 am

Taking the hood off will provide access - much easier rewiring the tractor. First time taking the hoof off is usually an effort. Second time, much easier.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:27 pm

Hi,
The Cub has a Battery Ignition unit. The coil works from battery power.

The alternator is a Delco, model 10 SI, I think. It has the plug in the rear side, I don't know if wires were connected to it on your Cub.

The 1 wire Delco alternator only uses the threaded post on the rear of the alternator to connect a wire to. They look the same as yours, in the pics of them I have seen, but use 1 wire.

Below is a pic of one. :)
Attachments
Cub Delco 1 wire 2.jpg

WildFarmall
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby WildFarmall » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:51 am

Thanks so much, everyone. I decided to take someone's advice and I called Brillman's at the link below. I decided to purchase a new alternator. I got the smaller one as it would fit the tractor better. I purchased the bracket for the alternator as I am not sure that my current bracket would fit the new smaller alternator. I also purchased a new wiring harness as I do not want anymore problems. It comes with a wiring diagram which should make things simple. My wife asked about how much this would cost and I hemmed and hawed like I usually do.

Johnbo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13027
Tractors Owned: 1947 CUB 527, 1949 Cub

Postby Johnbo » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:26 pm

When I originally posted this electrical issue my 47 cub would not even attempt to start, nothing happened when I pulled on the starter with a new battery. The last time I attempted to start it with the battery the amp meter blew up, this was last summer. Since this incident I was hand cranking until I installed a new battery.
I put on new ignition, amp meter and new wires form Brillman, after replacing all of these items it would not even turn over. After reading over some of the old threads this morning I pulled the starter and attempted to start it directly from the battery, nothing. I did have an extra starter and put this on it it started ruight up. I have no idea what caused the amp meter to explode last summer but it seems to be working fine since changing the starter.
I also has a new reconditioned carb that I purchase several years ago and I stripped the inlet threads when trying to connect it. I again read through some of the old threads and used J & B weld, working good with no leaks.
I wanted to thank all of the members who have created some excellent threads that we can reference.

Very thankful,
Johnbo

Johnbo
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Electrical Question Solved

Postby Johnbo » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:33 am

In my original post I stated when attempting to start cub, 1947 with magneto last summer the amp meter exploded. Since then I was hand cranking until recently I put a new battery in the cub and attempted to start with no success, it would not turn over. After reading several posts I purchsed an amp meter, new wires from Brillman and a new igniton. After changing out these parts I still had no luck, still would not turn over.
I then removed the starter and performed a test directly from the battery, power was going to the starter but it did not turn over. I had an extra starter and this work when hooking up directly to the battery. I put the old starter and on it started right up. I had run the cub throughout the day and have not any issues with starting her up.
I don't know why the amp meter exploded, did it have to do with a bad starter? All I know it is great when you are able to fix things. Thank you to all of you, the comments and suggestions especially the old threads were invaluable.

Johnbo

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:40 pm

Hi,
Johnbo, You didn't say if your Cub is 6 volts, or someone changed it to 12 volts.
If it is 12 volts with an alternator that puts out lots of amps, and it was charging over 20 amps, that could have burned out the ammeter. The original ammeters were made for 20 amps.
I've not seen an ammeter blow, like you said.

Below is a listing for a new original style ammeter for a 1947 Cub, you can look at the pics.
They are shown in the operator's manual too. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/145fp.htm

Johnbo
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Johnbo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:37 am

Glen it is a 6 volt with magneto, sorry I was not clear on this.

Johnbo

Return to “Farmall Cub”