This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Electrical Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Johnbo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13027
Tractors Owned: 1947 CUB 527, 1949 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Electrical Question

Postby Johnbo » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:24 pm

I have a 1947 Cub and was using the battery to start it with no issues. Last year I went to start it and the Ameter busted, glass broke and there was alot of sparks. At the time I was not using the Cub too much and it started well with a hand crank so I did not attempt to fix it. I put a battery in today in an attempted to start it and nothing happen. I checked and cleaned the ground and conections. Not sure how to go forward on identifying the issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you ,
John

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Re: Electrical Question

Postby tst » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:57 pm

1st thing is to make sure you have good battery connections at both ends of the cables, also the amp meter is part of the charging system and will not charge with that broken

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:03 pm

The more important question to me is why did the meter blow up in the first place? I don’t have any suggestions on that, unless something presents itself on examination.

Is this still on mag and generator? Or alternator conversion?
If you’re not getting continuity through the meter, it won’t run or charge, but I would expect it to at least turn over. Unless someone swapped the mechanical switch for a relay.

WildFarmall
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28570
Tractors Owned: Uncle Hubert - 1940 Farmall A
Aunt Elsie - 1949 Farmall Cub

Postby WildFarmall » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:00 am

I have a 49 Cub with a charging problem. I had the generator serviced and still no charging. I bought a new amp meter but have not installed it yet. does the amp meter control charging of the battery?

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:03 am

attached are flow charts to find the problem, if you still have the stock system made in 49 it should be the chart using the cutout relay
Attachments
08-Regulatortroubleshootingchartrev.gif
07-Cutouttroubleshootingchartrev1_0.gif

ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26047
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Postby ctltmp » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:59 am

Hi. I have not heard of an ammeter bursting like that. There are a lot of wise cub guys on the forum that can help you.

Wildfarmall, I have a 49 that drove me wiring crazy. Is was a mixture of original and updated which is why it never made sense. A lot of earlier Cubs just came with crank start (that was my case). Later they offered an upgrade. Depending on when you purchased the upgrade made a difference in what you might have. Although I completely rewired my 49 when I refurbished it 2 years ago, I decided to purchase a harness and redo it again.

If you give brillmam a call (bottom of page) they are a wealth of knowledge as well.

Good luck to you both.
WV Mike

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:36 am

WildFarmall wrote:Does the amp meter control charging of the battery?
No. It's simply a meter that indicates the amount of amps, the charge or discharge, flowing through it.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub purchased 1960
'59 International Lo-Boy purchased 1987
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Postby Gary S. » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:43 am

Eugene wrote:
WildFarmall wrote:Does the amp meter control charging of the battery?
No. It's simply a meter that indicates the amount of amps, the charge or discharge, flowing through it.

But all power flows thru an amp meter before it goes anywhere else with maybe the exception of the starter. If it were to go open power would not go through it to the ignition system or to the charging circuit right? Thats why voltage meters are now used they are safer, probably the real reason to use them is that they are cheaper as well.

halftonstude
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06482

Postby halftonstude » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:41 pm

Except starter current, the starter is wired direct to the battery. all current except cranking current goes through the ammeter. Otherwise the meter would go poof. Ammeters come in one of three vareities: first is the newest and involves hall effect transistors and transducers, no need to discuss here. Second is a meter with an external shunt. A shunt is a big fancy calibrated resistor. the relationship between voltage across a resistor and current going through a resistor is perfectly linear, so if you have a meter (50 millivolts for example) and a calibrated resistor that says "1000A 50mV" then if you hook up the meter you can accurately measure current. WHen there is 50 millivolts across the shunt, the meter will go full scale and you'll know you have exactly 1000 amps going through the shunt. Last kind is what we have in the tractors, or many automobiles have in their dash boards. Last kind is kind of like the second, except the resistors is inside the ammeter. The ammeter acts like a hunk of wire - its job is to measure, not modify the current that's going through it. My guess as why an old ammeter would go poof would be the insulating bushings or insulating paper that keeps the electrical contacts from touching the frame of the ammeter have failed or a component inside became loose. Because the ammeter is connected to - battery and everything around it is at ground potential, anything happening inside that that involves -battery coming in contact with anything around it would be bad. It lets the smoke out. And we all know smoke is the basis for electricity, because when it's gone, nothing works... like your ammeter!
HTH
c

WildFarmall
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby WildFarmall » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:39 pm

I am still not understanding what wiring diagram I should be using. I have a 49 Farmall Cub. How do I tell if I have a generator or alternator? It is a 12 volt system.

Is the attached file the one I should be using?
Attachments
SCAN0065.PDF
(134.51 KiB) Downloaded 400 times

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:12 pm

Hi,
A 1949 Cub was originally 6 volts, positive ground.
Below is a page from the 1949 Cub operator's manual showing the original electrical system.

The cutout, or Relay, IH called it is on top of the generator.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-33.jpg

The gens originally had a plate with the Delco model number, it was usually 1101355.

An alternator is not as long as a gen, and usually aluminum colored, unless it has been painted.
Below is a pic of a Delco alternator someone put on a Cub. :)
Attachments
Cub alternator.jpg
Cub alternator.jpg (79.41 KiB) Viewed 418 times

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:16 pm

WildFarmall wrote:I am still not understanding what wiring diagram I should be using. I have a 49 Farmall Cub. Is the attached file the one I should be using?
Maybe and maybe not. Gonna depend on your answers to the following.

How do I tell if I have a generator or alternator?
Internet search will have pictures of common alternators and generators used on tractors or automobiles.

It is a 12 volt system.
Are you sure? Most automotive alternators are 12 volts. Generators, either 6 or 12 volts. Common alternators are of the 3 wire or single wire style.

The tractor wiring varies by generator voltage, alternator style and a couple other things.
I have an excuse. CRS.

WildFarmall
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby WildFarmall » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:00 pm

Looking at your picture, I have an alternator with a 12 volt system. What wiring diagram should I use?

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:18 pm

WildFarmall wrote:Looking at your picture, I have an alternator with a 12 volt system. What wiring diagram should I use?

You have a hybrid system if it's an alternator. Could be internal or external regulated. If you have a true conversion most likely you have a conversion to 12v using either a std 6v distributor or a mag that is converted to use a 12v external coil but that's not always the case. Your system could be still using the mag for the ignition system and the alternator to run the other electrical components i.e. battery charging, lights, etc. Pictures might help sort out what you have. Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:49 am

Forget using any wiring diagram until we sort out your ignition system and which type alternator you have.

Post several pictures of each of the following:
Back side of the alternator showing the wiring connections.
Ignition system showing what you have - magneto or distributor and or ballast resistor.
I have an excuse. CRS.