This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tranny drain plug still leaking.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Roadroach
10+ Years
10+ Years

Tranny drain plug still leaking.

Postby Roadroach » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:27 pm

Tried to wrap drain plug with Teflon tape. Still leaking. What about pipe dope, is that an option?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:00 pm

Maybe you need to clean up the threads on the plug and the tranny housing to make sure the plug is going in far enough. I dont use any tape or dope on mine and you should not have to if the threads are in good shape.
Then came Bronson

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:45 pm

these plugs are made of something called "malleable" iron.....meaning they are so soft that if you drop one on a concrete floor, you will damage the threads.

If you turn them too tight, they round off really easily, and sometimes round off trying to get them back out.

the softness is what makes them ideal as a plug, kinda like the way brass makes a good seal when you tighten it...it forms to the harder metal's threads.

either your threads are damaged on the plug, or in the hole, enough to pass rather thick oil through.

I'd get a new plug, if you can.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:18 pm

Get a new plug! It will be easy to find since it's a common 1/2" pipe plug. Tom is right, it's malleable iron... cast iron that has gone through a special, lengthy annealing process that causes the free carbon to be incorporated making it a form of low carbon steel. Sometimes known as "white iron". More than you really wanted to know. :)
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Roadroach
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Roadroach » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:54 pm

Thanks guys,
I'll get a new plug. I don't want to fool with any "white iron" that's been messing around with that "free carbon" character. :)

Return to “Farmall Cub”