This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

C-2 Grass Board Rod

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
halftonstude
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06482
Circle of Safety: Y

C-2 Grass Board Rod

Postby halftonstude » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:08 pm

Boy I hate asking more questions... I just built a new grass/swath board for my 5' sickle bar that I'm restoring (thanks for the full scale drawing... :o) ) and need to build a grass board rod, but the posts here that indicate there may be a photo either have a dead link, or a photo that doesn't exist. Looking at the photos i can find on bing or google or here are all on a skew or angle and it's hard to approximate the size and length of the rod. I intend to make one this week as i'm assembling parts to restore my mower, but am having 0 success in finding any dimensions. The dimensions of the flat stock, and rod would be helpful. I'm sure just about anything that could extend past the board and curve to turn the grass inward to make a clear path for the next cut would work, but i'm sure the bend/angle/curve of the original design had lots of research behind it and i don't want to re-invent the wheel. Are there any dimensions out there to fabricate a new rod? I looked on TM, and steiner, and in the files here, and i swear every time i think i've exhausted every avenue that i can find someone says "well did you look here..." and sure enough there it is... my farmall cub bookmark file in firefox is pretty big and i though as complete as possible, but it's always possible to teach an old dog new tricks. I made the square head bolt to hold the board to the outer shoe, fabricated a couple springs from washing machines and intake valves, built a new wear strip for the bottom of the board, countersunk the holes for some old flat head slotted wood screws... i've found dozens of photos of the grass board here on the forum but cannot locate any dimensions. So, once again, any help is appreciated and i'm trying to keep this post short... i guess i'm just long winded to begin with sorry!
c

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

halftonstude
5+ Years
5+ Years

Re: C-2 Grass Board Rod

Postby halftonstude » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:08 pm

Yes i missed a "2" on the subject line, it should be C-22... sorry
c

Cubfriend
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 68803
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub, Kittie; 1948 Cub, Harold; 1949 Cub, 49er; 1951 Cub, Tucker; 1951 Cub, Homely; 1956 Cub High Crop; 1957 Cub Loboy; 57 Cub Loboy w/fasthitch + 194 plow; 1958 Cub LoBoy w/FH, Popeye; 1961 Cub, Beater; #1-1962 Cub Loboy Dually (Originally Orange) w/Foot Throttle; #2-1962 Cub Loboy Dually (Originally Orange) w/Foot throttle; Yellow 1963 Cub Loboy and blade; 1970 Cub, Cubbie; and 5 other Cubs in various stages of disaasembly and disrepair; 1962 Cub Cadet Original; 2 other Cub Cadet Originals; Cub Cadet 100; Cub Cadet 124 w/Creeper; Cub Cadet 147; 2 Cub Cadet 129's; Cub Cadet 149; 1948 Allis Chalmers C w/single frontwheel; 1944 Farmall H w/Tokhiem Cab; 2 One Point Fasthitch Carriers; 2-#100 Fasthitch Rear Blade; 2 Sets Cub 144 Cultivators; 2 Sets Cub #252 Cultivators; 3 Cub #193 Mouldboard Plows; 1 Cub #193 Slatted Plow; 1 1948 Cub-54 Snow Plow; 3 Cub-54 49-5 Snow Plows; Cub #6 Tool Bar w/Disc Blades & Middlebuster. 2-#105 sickle mowers, #152 disc plow

Postby Cubfriend » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:47 am

halftonstude wrote:Boy I hate asking more questions... I just built a new grass/swath board for my 5' sickle bar that I'm restoring (thanks for the full scale drawing... :o) ) and need to build a grass board rod, but the posts here that indicate there may be a photo either have a dead link, or a photo that doesn't exist. Looking at the photos i can find on bing or google or here are all on a skew or angle and it's hard to approximate the size and length of the rod. I intend to make one this week as i'm assembling parts to restore my mower, but am having 0 success in finding any dimensions. The dimensions of the flat stock, and rod would be helpful. I'm sure just about anything that could extend past the board and curve to turn the grass inward to make a clear path for the next cut would work, but i'm sure the bend/angle/curve of the original design had lots of research behind it and i don't want to re-invent the wheel. Are there any dimensions out there to fabricate a new rod? I looked on TM, and steiner, and in the files here, and i swear every time i think i've exhausted every avenue that i can find someone says "well did you look here..." and sure enough there it is... my farmall cub bookmark file in firefox is pretty big and i though as complete as possible, but it's always possible to teach an old dog new tricks. I made the square head bolt to hold the board to the outer shoe, fabricated a couple springs from washing machines and intake valves, built a new wear strip for the bottom of the board, countersunk the holes for some old flat head slotted wood screws... i've found dozens of photos of the grass board here on the forum but cannot locate any dimensions. So, once again, any help is appreciated and i'm trying to keep this post short... i guess i'm just long winded to begin with sorry!
c

You may be able to buy one from tst on the forum. I think he makes them from time to time.
Frank

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:31 am

Here are some approximate dimensions (the OEM I copied was pretty beat up):
Flat stock is 3/8" x 1 1/2" x 12". The bend starts 7" from the mounting end, inside angle is 155*. The end the rod attaches to is cut on both sides so the end is 7/16" wide as is the rod. The rod is 27 1/2" long. The curve of the rod starts about 17" from where it's welded to the flat stock. At the end of the curve the rod is 5" away from the straight portion of the rod (hope that makes sense) and in line with the rod and flat stock. The direction of the curve is the only part I'm not sure about, as the two OEM's I have were pretty mangled. This curve does drop the cut stems toward the tractor and has worked fine for me for years.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

halftonstude
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby halftonstude » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:07 pm

Thank you bob! Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so very much I hope I can return the help some day
C

Ole90633
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17701
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub Standard

Re: C-22 Grass Board Rod

Postby Ole90633 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:16 pm

Here's more data and pictures for you !

image.jpeg

My measurements coordinate well with Bob's:

The flat stock is 3/8" T. X 1 1/4" W. X 12 3/4" L. to the start of the round rod stock at the second yellow tick mark, above.

The two(2) 3/8" square holes are centered on the width; 4 1/2" apart on center; the first hole center is a nominal 1" on the flat stock center line from the point; the point is trimmed 45* either side, over a 1" length, then forged down for a 1/4" to 3/8" to make the engagement tang for the grass board.

The kick-up bend in the flat stock, first yellow tick mark, is 6 3/4" from the point and is bent up 22 1/2* in plane. There remains an addition 6" of flat stock to the round stock. The flat-to-round transition takes place over 1" of length therein and, the round stock measures 1/2" D. at that point, second tick mark

Now, the round stock gets interesting: from the flat-to-round transition, second yellow tick mark, the 1/2" D. round stock tapers gradually over the next 19" of length, to a diameter of 7/16" D. at another yellow tick mark. Even more exciting is that, for the remaining 7 1/2" length of round stock, the gradual taper goes from 7/16" D. down to 3/8" D. and the end.

There is an arc over that 7 1/2" length, starting at the 19" dimension: 8 1/2" R.(radius) X 40* ! But wait ! That formed curve, while being in plane with the flat stock on the other end, is then turned down about an inch during the curve. You've got a compound curve therein, to kick the cuttings into the mowing line. Finished overall length is nominal 38 1/4" L. I believe the flat-to-round with taper, is from hot drawing the metal during forging.

I had to keep the pictures smaller to load them; tried to orient them in the 'installed plane' as well as another, to show the bends in both planes. I'd be happy to send by PM, bigger pictures :)

Don
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Return to “Farmall Cub”